Single mum just starting...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Single mum just starting...

I'M having a bit of a wobble and wondered if any of you have been in similar situation as me...
    I'm a single mum with one two year old of my own and going to start minding at the end of February. I've been registered for a couple years but have put off actually taking the plunge and continued to work part time as a nurse. Now my own child care arrangements are failing to work for me and my small one so have decided to leave my nursing job. I'm completely petrified about no longer having a regular, dependable income!!
    I only have one family (2 kids) lined up and they only want care one day a week... I've had a couple of enquiries but no other takers. I'm hoping things will pick up once I can devote all my time to the cause and am no longer doing night shifts etc as a nurse.
    Would love some encouragement/support if any if you guys have any advice that would be awesome too!!!
    Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I started minding about a year and a bit ago. I love it, I was made redundant from my nanny job and my first family of minded children worked our perfectly as they were both full time siblings. I only had them and my son which was lovely. My son started school this year and I filled his place with a 3 day little girl. We managed on my wage better than when I was nannying and after months of minding I was getting lots if enquiries and the word was out who I was etc from attending regular groups etc. My advice is advertise as much as you can, get to as many groups as you can and sell yourself:-) hopefully before you finish your current job you could potentially be set up with families lined up, it will happen sometimes just takes a bit of time. The bonus is being able to be a mummy full time and work too:-) I am on maternity leave now and all minded children's families have asked to return in September when I start up again too which is great. For me the whole experience has been very positive, can't imagine doing anything else now. Good luck. xxx

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a single parent to my son who is now 6. I've been minding for nearly 2 years now. At first, I was so concerned that I wouldn't get any enquiries or that the ones I did get, I wouldn't be able to manage on. If you are at all worried, speak to Tax Credits and Income Support. They should be able to provide you with financial assistance in some way to alleviate some of the monetary fears that come with this job. I certainly couldn't have done it without them. I went my first 6 months with not enough money coming from my childminding and due to being a single parent as well, they were able to help financially. As soon as the hours (and therefore wages) started to go up, then you will no longer need their assistance.

Main thing, try not to worry too much otherwise you will feel wrung out and won't enjoy your work. This will make everything else seem like too much and you will want to give up. I've been there, and luckily stuck with it. If I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to enjoy my son's school activities as much as I can now.

Chin up, you'll be fine.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think most of us worry about the money side when we first start out - still need to keep a roof over our head and food in our bellies

I was in a different position to you in that I'd been laid off and had a period of unemployment before starting up as a childminder but when I was laid off, the first thing I did was make myself a budget:
    A list of my fixed costs each month : Gas, electric, mobile, landline, rent/mortgage, tv licence, tv package, council tax, car insurance, everything that goes out by STO or DD
    Then I worked out what I was bringing in : Child benefit, Tax credits etc.
    Doing this helped me identify areas I could cut down on if I needed to : eg. a different mobile package saved £15+ a month

Then I worked out a food budget on a 4 week menu cycle
    This bit was a pain, but I realised I was spending too much money at the local shop.
    By doing a food list for the week I found I could save a small fortune just by shopping around and being more organised!

As Pinkellifun pointed out you may be entitled to financial help so check that out too.
    I found this site to be really helpful https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov...e/portal/ba/lp

When I started minding, doing the food budget had become second nature so I stayed with it. That, for us, meant that any 'extra' money (additional children) could go on all the things we'd missed out on when I hadn't been working - new car, holiday, new clothes regularly, the odd takeaway at the weekend - all the things that make working worthwhile

You'll probably find you have to tighten your belt initially, but the benefits far outweighed the negativity for us. When I got more work, we got more treats