Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default struggling with the cost of setting up

Anyone else struggle with set up cost?
    Im a stay at home mum at the moment so running a household is hard enough and then finding the money to set up is even harder.
    As well as paying for courses, drb, health check, registration and insurance I need storage for toys, the playroom needs decorating and the garden needs completely redoing.
    Not really a point to this post just needed a bit of moan. Hopefully I'll get there in the end.

2. Likes thinktink liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My advice prioritise what is essential and then create a wish list, I've been a cm for 15months and still have a very long wish list which I think is getting longer not shorter. I don't buy large items until I actually have a deposit from a child who needs them eg pushchairs, car seats as until you actually have children you don't know what ages they will be. How much does your playroom need decorating or is it you think it would look nicer either a b&q value tub of magnolia and a couple of bright kids posters or if its ok just a couple of posters. Re the garden could that wait until you have some children and money coming in? It is hard when all you seem to have is expenses and no income, everything doesn't have to be perfect and exactly how you want it when you first start.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just do what you need to do to meet health and safety requirements eg: plastic film over low glass, other things like decorating can be done cheaply with magnolia or paint in the sale. I didn't have any toys as my children had grown up so I bought everything from car boot sales and charity shops and bought new car seats when I knew what age of child I would be caring for. You can always tell Ofsted that you don't want your garden registered straight away if you need to do a lot of expensive work to make it safe eg: steps / hand rails, fencing, covering over / filling in ponds - may aswell wait until the spring to tackle that. You can buy cheap storage from Pound type shops or just cover cardboard boxes in wrapping paper until you can afford proper boxes.

5. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeling the strain too, I originally wanted EVERYTHING done but now I'm just prioritising the important things before registration. For instance, I'm not going to initially use my garden (my garden needs completely re-doing too) and will be taking children out everyday so they still have some outdoor time ( to the park, local farm etc.)

7. Likes karlaxsasha liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comments especially about the garden I never thought about not registering the garden. Im thinking this will be a good idea for me as its needs a lot of work doing and isnt really safe. Well I think it isnt safe wont know till spring time when I can start chopping down the weeds and seeing whats underneath! Once ive had a mindee for a month or 2 I will have some money to get it sorted.
    Decorating wise theres damp which will hopefully be sorted soon (has been a big worry for me) and once thats sorted I was thinking of painting all the walls white then adding really bright rainbow colour accessories like bunting as a splash of colour.
    I need to get tuff on myself and stop buying those bargin toys or resources I keep spotting I definitely have enough of those now!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kidston View Post
    Anyone else struggle with set up cost?
    Im a stay at home mum at the moment so running a household is hard enough and then finding the money to set up is even harder.
    As well as paying for courses, drb, health check, registration and insurance I need storage for toys, the playroom needs decorating and the garden needs completely redoing.
    Not really a point to this post just needed a bit of moan. Hopefully I'll get there in the end.
    Have you applied for your £250 start-up grant to set up as a CM? it should still be available. Contact your Early Years team and find out
    It is not a lot but it will help to ease your purse pains!!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that I didn't know about this grant. I've looked on the website and it says the it ends in march so I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I apply before march if I can still claim if im registered after that date if that makes sense.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have 6 months after they have processed your application form to send them proof of your registration with OFSTED to receive the bursary. My LA didn't even know about the bursary I found it online after googling what help I could get with set up costs.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Look uo some freebay or free cycle sites in your area you will be amazed what people are throwing away. Make an appeal for free stuff on Facebook selling pages. People might give you half tins of paint or bits of wood to make fencing etc you never know.
    Keep your toys to a minimum, think te cycle, so cardboard tubes, pots with lids on, pegs, milk bottle lids for sorting, buttons, pine ones you collect on a walk etc, open ended things like this have so much play value anyway.
    Print pictures off the Internet and make your own multicultural resource, so puzzles,, lolly stick story props, books posters etc.

sept 12
    Non childminder member
    sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default grant

i got the grant and really helpful .... also I put out SOS to friends and family for any unwanted toys and anything kids can use
    to play with like old clothes (clean of course,great for dressing up or if a bit tatty dismantle for art materials) even old kitchen utensils for pretend play and I got some great donations from friends and family. I also keep everything from boxes/tubs/magazines for arts and crafts which cost zero pennies and kids have loads of fun.
    Old sheets and duvet covers make great tent making with a few pegs and dining room chairs and plenty of imagination. You don't needs loads of stuff to give stimulate a childs imagination, I get plastic pots and mixing bowls, jugs and plastic/wooden kitchen utensils and pretend we are restaurant, we make menus
    cutting pictures from magazines (all donated by my family) and we make fun money, the kids love playing chefs, waitress and customers. you just have to think outside the box (shops can be a great source for large boxes you can turn into something, pretend cars or garage for toy cars my local shop is happy to give me the boxes the kids sometimes just draw all over them, free art space).