QI visit today! House is the tidiest it's been in months! lol
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default QI visit today! House is the tidiest it's been in months! lol

Well I have my quality improvement officer from the local authority round for the first time this afternoon to help start me on the track to Ofsted registration. Feeling nervous! Although I know it's a supportive, informal visit and the lady said not to change anything about my house, I still feel that by the end of today I'll have a better idea of the size of the mountain I need to climb to make Ofsted happy lol. I did pre-warn her that my house is a cross between Santa's grotto and Country basket's wedding fair at the moment (I get married in 3 weeks so there is literally boxes of stationery, flowers, dresses, decorations, table centres, chair swags, accessories, presents etc. EVERYWHERE! lol) my partner is conveniently off today so he's taken my little man to go and get fitted for suits and buy shoes so I'll have relative peace to talk in. I've done my environmental health course and child minding course, have my safeguarding booked in for 23rd January and hoping the local authority release dates for first aid soon as they offer a free one at the moment but hoping I don't have to wait too long for it. This website has been super for advice and think it may replace the TES website as my port of call for the day (ex-teacher!) I've been signed off sick from work for the last few weeks which has given me time to think about the childminding but mainly to spend time with my little boy doing fun things like autumn walks, Christmas crafts, baking, den-making, gardening, visits to the park and swimming. Things I haven't been able to do for so long with my job but it's just made me even more excited about doing it for a living without management telling you you're having too much fun! Feeling very lucky right now!

2. Likes lynnslittleuns liked this post
    June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck for the future.
    You'll be fine.
    Lynn xx

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. It went well, she was here an hour and a half. I have a few little things to do. I thought you could lock your front and back doors and hang up the keys but I've been told I need to have something called "sash-jammers"? apparently they can't be opened from the outside but I need to have external doors that don't need keys. Will have fun explaining to my fiancé in an hour that he will have to knock and wait to get into his own house when he finishes work! Bit OTT I think. But apart from that it's only little stuff really, she said I was very prepared and easy to work with so hope I get on the next first aid course soon! Just want to get started really.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannes View Post
    Thank you. It went well, she was here an hour and a half. I have a few little things to do. I thought you could lock your front and back doors and hang up the keys but I've been told I need to have something called "sash-jammers"? apparently they can't be opened from the outside but I need to have external doors that don't need keys. Will have fun explaining to my fiancé in an hour that he will have to knock and wait to get into his own house when he finishes work! Bit OTT I think. But apart from that it's only little stuff really, she said I was very prepared and easy to work with so hope I get on the next first aid course soon! Just want to get started really.
    Do you live in Scotland? - as I'm in England and have normal front doors that open and lock with keys! If so you may find it useful to post under the Scottish information or include it in the title so that childminders from Scotland can help you. Good luck for the wedding - what date are you getting married?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Yorkshire hun. I get married on the 28th so 3 weeks on Saturday!! Yeah the lady from the local authority was adamant that the advice now is to have Sash jammers on external doors and no keys. Which I thought was bizarre really. I was just going to hang them near the doors but she said it was because in a panic/smoke you could drop keys etc or not feel for them properly :-/

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have just had my registration visit ...and a visit from a very nice (!!!) fireman...

Talked about security with both....

Fireman - wants key in door for easy access but compromised by spare key( never to be used instead of an emergency) hanging up by door.

Ofsted inspector - happy with locked door and key hung nearby. ( so 2 keys hung up - one with emergency details of children attached on key ring - one used every day.

Nobody mentioned special locks.......

I am sure ofsted inspectors have the same remit wherever they are based ........so your LA info .....??????

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I have just had my registration visit ...and a visit from a very nice (!!!) fireman...

Talked about security with both....

Fireman - wants key in door for easy access but compromised by spare key( never to be used instead of an emergency) hanging up by door.

Ofsted inspector - happy with locked door and key hung nearby. ( so 2 keys hung up - one with emergency details of children attached on key ring - one used every day.

Nobody mentioned special locks.......

I am sure ofsted inspectors have the same remit wherever they are based ........so your LA info .....??????
    Thats useful info thank you.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm in Yorkshire hun. I get married on the 28th so 3 weeks on Saturday!! Yeah the lady from the local authority was adamant that the advice now is to have Sash jammers on external doors and no keys. Which I thought was bizarre really. I was just going to hang them near the doors but she said it was because in a panic/smoke you could drop keys etc or not feel for them properly :-/
    I'm in (North) Yorkshire and admittedly was registered before I moved here but I have normal doors! I have had local authority bods here plus fireman fit safety visit and no one mentioned these jammer things? !
    Have a wonderful wedding and enjoy minding. Xxx

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Im in yorkshire and havent heard of this. I only registered in april so fairly recent.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of a sash jammer?

I lock my door on the inside and hang up the key high.

Post Thanks / Like

Well tbh I really wasn't keen on having them don't like the idea of hubby being locked out its his home too! Think I'll stick with keys on hook a and prepare to argue the toss if anyone complains.don't like that if I were incapacitated he couldn't get in without smashing door down lol.

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

My door couldn't have a sash jammer fitted, have always locked with key hung nearby never had any complaints.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well tbh I really wasn't keen on having them don't like the idea of hubby being locked out its his home too! Think I'll stick with keys on hook a and prepare to argue the toss if anyone complains.don't like that if I were incapacitated he couldn't get in without smashing door down lol.
    That's your argument then. You're right, it's HIS home too and he is/will be DBS checked so fine for him to be able to come in.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless a Local Authority bod can back up their 'helpful hint' with a reference to the EYFS or Ofsted Factsheet, take whatever they say with a pinch of salt.

They all have their own little ideas, like these odd sash locks or whatever they are (never heard of them, certainly don't have them), which are not backed up by ANY statutory rules or Ofsted guidance.

In future, always ask where they got their information from, can they point it out in the EYFS/Ofsted Factsheet? If not then do not stress about it- smile and nod... and carry on as you were.

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

that's what I thought. she said it was the advice given by fire services etc now because there have been cases where childminders have dropped keys and not been able to find them. I will hang them up. If I was ever that stuck a window would be smashed but the chances of needing it are much less than my partner being locked out.

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

that's what I thought. she said it was the advice given by fire services etc now because there have been cases where childminders have dropped keys and not been able to find them. I will hang them up. If I was ever that stuck a window would be smashed but the chances of needing it are much less than my partner being locked out.
    Sounds like she made that up on the spot to justify having said something daft if you ask me......have there really been THAT many cases (or indeed any?!) where childminders have been trying to leave the house in a real fire, have dropped their keys and the smoke has been so thick they then can't find them?! I think not...largely because all involved would have been seriously injured, or more likely, died from smoke inhalation and we'd all have heard about it. Rub-bish!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

These are sash jammers.

http://www.euro-secure.com/sashjammer.asp

Not sure how they help you get out quicker in an emergency it doesn't explain very clearly. They look more like a security devise to make windows and doors more secure than a devise to aid rapid escape.

I must say I hate UPVc doors with vengeance because there is this problem that you push the handle and you are out so they have to be locked. I have always had wooden outside doors with traditional Yale locks which can not be opened easily by the children because the lock is too high but they don't have to be locked so they are easy to open in an emergency. The only time they are double locked is when we are out of the house. I have French Windows though and I leave the keys in the lock during the day, turn a half so they can't be easily pulled out by little fingers but so they are there if we need to get out.

I agree with Moggy. These LA people are advisory only and it sounds as if she had heard something if you see on the link the company say these locks are LA, Police approved. I advise you to have a Fire Safety Check done on your home and ask their advise.

21. Likes loocyloo liked this post