Getting used to being a childminder
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting used to being a childminder

How long did it take you to get used to being a childminder?
    Was it a shock to your system or did you take to it like a duck to water?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't really remember! I had been a nanny for 14 years prior to childminding, so for me the only difference was that I was in my own home, and I decided what I did when ( although 99.9% of the time I did that when nannying anyway! )

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been minding for 4 months now and at first it was novelty but now the thoughts of being alone worker and letting people down if I needed time off is getting to me. It's like a huge responsibility also it's taking over my house even though I have a playroom. I try not to moan because there are soo many positives to this job. I have to accept that it is still new and will be for a while longer yet and it just takes time to adapt.

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love pleasing myself! Simple as that, I had a very senior job with lots of decisions to make, I find it much better making the decisions now that they are for me and only me not a big company!!
    I have never looked back since leaving in July and I thought I might miss it, yes I get fed up with the constant housework but I get to do it during the day when the children are sleeping etc rather than when I used to walk through the door at 7pm after leaving the house at 7am!
    I get to decide when I want to work in that the contracts are going to be no more than a few years so I see that now I'm into it I know what bits I won't fill again when they leave for school so I will eventually work 4 days and if possible finish at 5.30!

Post Thanks / Like

I was the same too working in a nursery with lots responsibility and staff under me. I haven't looked back. Just being able to do my own hours is great I go to mother and toddlers, library and soft play and meet up with other childminders. This job has been great so far

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been minding for 3 months and I've found it quite a hard adjustment in terms of someone relying on me and fitting in extra children with my own. Their adjustment has been mixed which does affect how I feel. Have to say though that I haven't worked for the previous 9 years so anything I chose to do was going to be a huge shock to my system!! But the pros outweigh the cons and I hope to be able to continue with this.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I took to it like a duck to water. I have to say it is like an extension of being mummy, only to more children. I love being my own boss. I love being at home. I even like the solitude(sometimes). I love seeing my child minding friends and having a natter. I love being there when my kids get in from school.

And I don't miss the commute to London!

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me a while to adjust & I did have a wobble after 3 or 4 months as I found it quite lonely especially after coming from a busy office in London. I realised I just needed to make more of an effort to get out & about and now have a nice routine of being out every morning usually with other adults (toddler groups, sure start centre, library, or meeting up with other cm/friends with children at the park/woods) then coming home for lunch, naps & at home activities.

nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Live being a cm but hate that ii cant leave the pw at work and it cuts into my home life :-(

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i was terrified on my first day but found then that I was so busy I didn't have time to worry about it any more what I found the hardest was being alone so made sure I made cm friends and attended groups so I had some adult company for part of most of the days or I would have gone crazy.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got