Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pet food bowls?

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pet food bowls?

Hi,
    I normally keep pet food bowls out.
    Will I need to remove these straight after my pet has finished.
    I would like to at least leave a bowl of water out but don't think ofsted will like that, what does every one else do?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

My dogs have access to water all day, everyday...otherwise I would class this as cruelty.
    I have a stair gate on my kitchen and bowls are in their...so mindees cannot access them easily.
    If we are in the kitchen for baking, cooking, something else then I pick the bowls up...mainly to prevent spillages...
    I would argue the fact with Ofsted (not had to yet, in 9 years) if they said I couldn't leave bowls out...when we are supposed to have a constant supply of water for mindees to access, why is it different for animals?
    Stick to your guns and keep them down
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

3. Likes Tulip liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a dog or cat but I couldn't abide the thought of them not having a drink all day!
    Surely OFSTED would realise this and allow at least a water bowl down, even if its outside when the children are in or visa versa x
    Kelly xx

5. Likes Tulip liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am lucky enough to have a utility so my pets get feed in there each day and then their bowls are picked up - my dogs stay in the kitchen while I am minding so have a bowl of water down on floor all day, I do most of cooking up to table in dining room so mindees never go into kitchen (stair gate across door way).

It is very hard to have 3 conflicting agencies ie: Ofsted and Environmental Health (Food Standards) against RSPCA - pets have welfare requirements too!

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My pet bowls are down in the kitchen/diner and although they eat before mindees arrive and after they go, there is always fresh water.

My animals, a cat and 2 dogs are with us all day. I was ready to defend them to Ofsted as they are not separated from the mindees in my house or garden and they always have access to water. I have permissions, policies, risk assessments and was ready with all my arguments but although Mrs O looked through all the pet paperwork she had no queries or problems.

My last inspection was prior to the latest review but I would defend them again and most definitely the water bowl issue.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

my cats have their food and water accessible all day every day. The bowls are on the kitchen floor and LOs only go in there if im there too. Ofsted didnt have any problem with this when they inspected. In fairness my kitchen is so small 3 people and its over crowded x

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a bowl of water out all day in the kitchen for my dog which is washed daily and food bowls are removed after food is eaten and my dogs are fed before/after mindees are here all this information is included in my pets risk assessment ofsted looked through all this and didn't ask any further or make any comments. They only asked about animal fences in the garden which I pointed out would be something I would have to deal with whether I had pets or not as foxes and cats visit my garden at night and leave presents in the middle of the lawn for me!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to keep my cats water bowl upstairs, so they always had access. At some point recently I have moved it down to the kitchen, can't remember why now. The kids go nowhere near it, except sometimes to fill it as they help meet the animals needs. If they did start to mess with it, I would teach them not to.
    Lots and lots of different learning opportunities to be had by having the water bowls there. Absolutely no learning opportunities to be had by hiding them away.
    Just be prepared to convince ofsted of the benefits to be had by the kids.

11. Likes TNT liked this post
    Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    I used to keep my cats water bowl upstairs, so they always had access. At some point recently I have moved it down to the kitchen, can't remember why now. The kids go nowhere near it, except sometimes to fill it as they help meet the animals needs. If they did start to mess with it, I would teach them not to.
    Lots and lots of different learning opportunities to be had by having the water bowls there. Absolutely no learning opportunities to be had by hiding them away.
    Just be prepared to convince ofsted of the benefits to be had by the kids.
    I totally agree, I have cats and keep their water bowl out in the kitchen, the food bowl is washed after feeding in the morning and evening and put away but that is what I would do even if I wasnt minding. The litter tray is put out of sight but if it is left out at the weekend my own children never touch it, they have been taught since they were crawling that it is dirty and not to touch, my 16 month old walks past it pointing "yuk poooooooooo".

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very confused- having read the health and safety info I thought that I couldn't have a water bowl in the kitchen.
    I have been weaning my 12 year old labrador retriever into drinking from his bowl in our ensuite - which I figured was the best place that the mindees will not be able to access.

He thinks I am utterly bonkers.... Looks in his elderly gentleman dog way at the bowl and the room and virtually tells me with his eyes that this is not on ....after 12 years of having his bowl under the radiator next to the potato basket .... He is not compromising!!

He has only drank from it once in about three weeks - he drinks from the one in the back garden( which also will have to go!!)

Perhaps this suggestion that it is ok for water bowls to be in the kitchen ( just not when the environmental health vist happens) is the best news Ozzy will receive!!

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My dogs water bowl is in the kitchen too. I have taught the children not to play with it. Children are obviously not left alone in the kitchen so if they start heading towards the water bowl, then I am already on it! With dog food, the dogs only get fed either after lunch when the children are napping and then after dinner when everyone has gone home. Ofsted didn't have a problem with any of it. Environmental Health haven't been out.

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i was told in an inspection 2005 i was told to remove my cats bowls from the kitchen mu mindee's were present it put as a reccomendation on my report
    I now keep them in the porch with door shut kids don't go out there.
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton