scared i wont get any mindees....advice needed
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default scared i wont get any mindees....advice needed

I am 28 years old and have 2 little girls (4 and 1). I have been in an admin role since I graduated from uni 6 years ago and it has been ok but it is not my passion. It has suited while I've had my girls but after going back to work the second time I realise im wasting my life being there as im starting to hate it. The only thing that has stopped me moving on in the past is that it is fairly well paid and they have accommodated me with working hours (I work 3 days a week). I really would love to childmind and realise it's hard work but I love working with children and miss my own! At the moment I get £1000 a month after tax but pay £500 out to childcare. My husband is the main earner and his money just about covers bills and mortgage etc but literally only just! so we do really need me to be earning a minimum of £500 a month. I know it's hard to say but does this sound achievable? Im so frightened of going from a fixed wage to the unknown but I don't want to waste my life being miserable in my job. I have considered childminding in the past but our old house was short on space - we have just moved to a bigger property with a lovely playroom. Also is there a way to find out the demand in my area - im in the north west (I know there are 6 childminders doing drop offs / pick ups at my daughters school). I've struggled to find one but I needed one for both girls (in fact im still on a waiting list and family are helping out short term!) Any advice . tips . words of wisdom would be much appreciated thanks in advance

Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If there are waiting lists then that is a good sign that there is work out there.

It is a gamble, but you could register whilst still working (even though you hate it) as the process can take a while. Then only pack in your job when you get your first booking. You have 2 days a week where you could network, especially as you have a 1 year old yourself so get out to toddler groups and when chatting try and get into conversation that you are in the process of becoming a childminder.

I was lucky with my first booking. It was an ex colleague who knew I didn't come back off of maternity as I was registering. In the meantime she had had a baby and placed her with me when she went back.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree with tealady - if there are waiting lists in your area you are very lucky and should get work quite quickly after registering. You can register whilst working so you are not losing income and can finish when you get mindees.

However being self-employed is a risk. When I first registered I got a full-time mindee and her sibling straight away, but a few weeks later that Mum was made redundant and my other 4 days a week siblings finished her college course and decided not to go to work, I ended up working in a pub in the evenings until some more mindees came along. I moved and started again and it took me ages to get established due to the economic crash so I was working part-time and childminding.

It is possible to earn a very good income from childminding. I love the job my youngest is now 9 3/4 and I am still going.

Contact the Family Information Team (FIS) of your local council to find out more about registering.

Get to know the local childminders and find out if they have a group - our group passes enquiries to those with vacancies. As tealady says go to toddler groups etc and let people know that you will be registering.

Your own children will take up spaces. The normal numbers for childminders in England is 6 children under 8 of which no more than 3 can be in the early years unless in full-time school (when they become over 5 for numbers). No more than 1 of those 3 under 1. So you would be allowed to childmind for 4 children under 8 years with your daughters taking the other 2 spaces in which ever age group they are in.

Good luck x

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree - register whilst still working. I did this, registered in April but only actually started minding in August so would have been a long time with no income if I hadn't carried on working. However, I currently only have one mindee 3 days a week and pick up her sister from school so am only bringing in about £100 a week which isn't ideal.

The only downside of this job is there is no guaranteed income - a family could give notice at any time and you have to deal with the fall of income. I originally had 2 mindees, bringing in nearly £200 a week but one didn't settle, and screamed the whole time, so I ended up giving notice. It was the best thing to do for me but my income has dropped now and I've not had any enquiries since. This is now making me doubt my decision to start minding and also meaning I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped to I do think it's because I only have one little one and could do with another one to occupy her as she never seems to spend much time at all doing an activity and depends on me for entertainment all day. I do enjoy being at home though! Am going to start going to toddlers this week so hopefully I'll get another child soon

You seem to be lucky that there's a waiting list though so sounds like you would get work. However, one of the minders in the town has a waiting list while others (including me) have spaces, which I thought was a little strange as you would think they would look elsewhere?

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very scary making the leap but you won't know until you try. I was terrified, i needed like you an income of at least £600 per month and I worried that we wouldn't be able to pay bills if I didn't get that, or if a parent upped and left without notice but it is achievable, very much so. Even with one child in full time for me (£30 perday) it's £150 per week so monthly between 600 and 750 so I'm covered financially with just one child which is great!
    If you think about it charging one child £30 per day is a living wage really, another child is £60 per day and so on. It can be a really well paid job if you're reaching for the stars but for most cms I know they do it for other reasons, such as being there for their own kids, the joy of working from home and being their own 'boss' etc.
    Good luck if you do decide to do it, the job satisfaction is incredible and outweighs the negatives, like giving up part of your home, wages that aren't always secure etc xxx
    Kelly xx

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    It is very scary making the leap but you won't know until you try. I was terrified, i needed like you an income of at least £600 per month and I worried that we wouldn't be able to pay bills if I didn't get that, or if a parent upped and left without notice but it is achievable, very much so. Even with one child in full time for me (£30 perday) it's £150 per week so monthly between 600 and 750 so I'm covered financially with just one child which is great!
    If you think about it charging one child £30 per day is a living wage really, another child is £60 per day and so on. It can be a really well paid job if you're reaching for the stars but for most cms I know they do it for other reasons, such as being there for their own kids, the joy of working from home and being their own 'boss' etc.
    Good luck if you do decide to do it, the job satisfaction is incredible and outweighs the negatives, like giving up part of your home, wages that aren't always secure etc xxx
    I totally agree with this, I was terrified and still am! Thankfully we bought a flat the week I started so the rent we receive from that plus the money I earn covers what we need but the plan was for the rent to go into savings. I'm just hoping it picks up for me soon as I'm not sure how long we can go on just getting by with no savings etc. even the minder who has a waiting list has said there's been a serious lack of enquiries lately!

But yeah, hearing the squeals of excitement in the morning before I even open the door, and the crying because they don't want to leave, make it so worthwhile! I could just do with more

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone the intention was to stay in work for now until registered. I know this would be the best thing to do as nuch as I hate it. I do go to toddler groups and have already mentioned to people my interest in registering so hopefully this will help. I actually got chatting to a childminder in the drs surgery waiting room the other day and she had 3 on her waiting list (as does the one I am on the list for) Now there was 1 available who could take both my girls but I didn't like the sound of her on the phone (seemed very abrupt) and I just went off my gut feeling with that one so I guess not all of the childminders have vacancies but I guess it is encouraging that many do. Thanks for the good advice I think the going rate is about 3.50 an hr or £30ish a day around here. I am due to have my pre registry meeting in November. feeling very nervous and out of my comfort zone (I think a lot of this has to do with our recent house move as money seems a little tighter than it used to in our old house but we had well and truly outgrown it) xx

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't worry

Don't worry 2lovelygirls, I was in your position, I had a very good job, company car etc and I took the plunge into the unknown, I worried like you as financially we needed me bringing home money, I did all my courses etc whilst working and counting the days down and I was fully registered and had my first customer before I handed my notice in, I am now fully booked and by the time they all start will be bringing in £1600 per month, make sure you advertise properly and speculate to accumulate x x good luck x x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree with one else with regard to staying working and having an income that way for as long as possible.

The key really, as it is for any small business, is research, research, research.
    Good luck with your briefing, make a list of questions to ask
    Contact your local FIS for a list of minders in your area, and call them to check availability
    Look on childcare.co.uk and see how many are advertising in your area - some put their available spaces on their profile
    Speak to every parent you know about childcare issues they have or have had in the past

Whereabouts in the north west are you?

With regard to the change/drop in money, start looking at ways to reduce your current outgoings
    - plan meals for the next week/month and go food shopping with a list. You'll be surprised at how much you save by not buying stuff as you're walking around
    - Get rid of the things you are paying more for that you don't need eg Sky/Virgin with all the add ons and extras that are never/rarely watched (like movies)

By doing these things now, you can get into a routine of saving the pennies so any future drop in income won't hurt as much

Post Thanks / Like

thanks critch - I am a natural worrier which makes me think I might find the inconsistency of self employment difficult but on the flip side I am good with money and always err on the side of caution so if times are good I will bank the extra money and save it incase I hit a slump. great to hear a positive story u seem like you've cracked it

kiddleywinks I am in littleborough, lancs. there seem to be a fair few cms on childcare.co.uk :s but I guess the only positive is I would only need 1 little one to make the needed amount. We are quite frugal anyway but we could definitely cut the food bill if needed. I think you're right in saying im best to make changes now. I did phone around a fair few quite recently (genuinely, as I needed (and still do) a cm for my girls) There was only 1 available but to be honest my criteria is already tight because I need a specific school drop off and I needed 2 spaces so im not sure whether that's a common thing or not? a couple of others had a space for my eldest dd to pick up / drop off but not my youngest dd (and I want to keep them together) again not sure if that's a common requirement. thanks for the great advice x

Post Thanks / Like

p.s might be a silly question but the pre registration - is it casual dress code?

12. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree.... if there is a waiting list, thrn there is work!. I have to tell you though, i personally feel that the best option is to register while you work. I too worked in admin ( well paid). I waited until i had my first phone call until i handed in my notice ( which was 3 weeks) and i havnt looked back since. It is a big step, but so worth it!

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2lovelygirls View Post
    p.s might be a silly question but the pre registration - is it casual dress code?
    No...it's full ball gown and tiara! Lol

It's jeans and jumper etc. stop worrying

Love wibble xxxxxxxxxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

15. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WibbleWobble View Post
    No...it's full ball gown and tiara! Lol

It's jeans and jumper etc. stop worrying

Love wibble xxxxxxxxxx
    Ball gown and tiara - could you imagine? At least we could all stick our own sequins and glitter on, I tend to sparkle most days anyway

2lovely:
    Only needing 1 little one is good, I only needed one too, but it took me months to get that 1, so that was hard as I didn't have another job/income to fall back on.
    Also, you are no doubt looking at 1 mindee as 1 x full time hours?
    What you'll probably get is 1 or 2 before and after school initially, then one part time hours for 2 or 3 days a week, then a wait, then a couple more part timers. This is not unusual particularly when you're getting started

If you're having problems getting your own children picked up from your local school, chances are, other parents are having the same difficulties! This is a good thing for you as you could cover that school
    Speak to parents, the preschool (if you have one attached) and the school office to see if there are problems getting someone to cover the school. Let everyone know you're looking at becoming a childminder and see what response you get.

Have a play around with some figures:
    Make a list of all your outgoings every month
    then work out your income every month

then add on 'what if's' from childminding:
    What if you had 3 after school children @ £x amount
    (don't forget to cost up things you would need like a snack, are you providing an evening meal, cost of doing a crafty type activity (my afterschoolers are little monkeys for gluing and sticking/colouring/hama beads)
    Deduct the costs, from the income from minding, to get a more accurate look at your 'wages'

What if you had 1 part timer 3 days a week from 8am - 2pm
    What if you had 1 part timer and 1 after school....

Your costs can be anything between a quarter and 2/3rds of your income! It makes a huge difference

Would you be able to get tax credits? There's a good calculator here: https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov...e/portal/ba/lp
    it also lets you do what if scenarios (but don't deduct your costs when you enter income from childminding as they calculate that for you)

11/3/20
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very hard. I am in Manchester and I only had one little boy for one day a week from the beginning of April up until last week. I now have a little girl for the other 4 days. I was in a panic that I wouldn't get anyone else as I also had bills to pay. I now have an enquiry about a school run but don't think I will be able to do it because of ratios.

My niece lives in Burnley and she is waiting for her pre reg visit but she has a list of children ready to start with her. I think your neck of the woods is a good place for childminders. There are hundreds near where I live and they did warn me at bathe briefing session that there were a lot in my area.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. xx

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all you've all given such sound advice

haha I do worry about daft things don't I?! lol

kiddleywinks - I hope it does work out that way and I get a couple of pick ups/drops offs and then a part timer - I ll be so nervous until I get that first one
    xx