Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default car insurance OMG!

Hiya,

just popped on to have a rant I phoned my car insurance company today to find out about business cover and they want an additional £215.15!!

Im actually shocked at this figure and refused it for now, anyone know any insurance companies that dont charge a high amount or at least have it included in the policies?!

thanks in advance

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry can't help, it sounds about right.

I decided not to use my car for minded children and it saved me a fortune, I couldn't justify the expense of the additional car insurance and replacing car seats, I certainly could not pass it on to parents - it's hard enough getting regular payment.

Good luck on getting it cheaper.

june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks koala, ive heard some people have only been charged an extra £20 and others have had it put on for free! I only use my car occasionally but when my oh has his 2 days off a week thats when we do the shopping etc and i would have a mindee with us at times so thats the only reason i was going to get insured.

Oh well, evening shopping it is then lol

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Morton micheal and it was cheaper than normal insurance some quoted me

june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks supermummy,
    ive got my childminding insurance with mm so i may just get a quote from them thank you

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never been charged any extra for my business use - and yes I do check documents to make sure I am covered. I only pay just over £700 for 2 cars with Admiral multi car policy - one has business use for me and the other is for my 18 year old daughter who has just passed test. Shop around - make sure they know you are only using car as a childminder (for taking children to toddler groups that you want to go to) you are not a taxi being paid for taking them places.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this for Class 1 business use! Wow that increase is more than my car insurance.

Try Churchill they are fab and don't charge any extra
    Debbie

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used Churchill this year. Direct Line are also good and Swiftcover. MM & Pacey have always been more expensive for me. Just shop around depends on what they perceive "your risk" to be.

june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

well just to let you all know that i have had no luck what so ever!! ive tried the multi car options as we have 2 cars and that came in at a whopping £1954, and everywhere else has been just as bad. Think i will have to save up and add it on to my policy without increasing my payments every month!
    thanks for all the suggestions and advice but i dont think im going to have any luck!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimmy79 View Post
    well just to let you all know that i have had no luck what so ever!! ive tried the multi car options as we have 2 cars and that came in at a whopping £1954, and everywhere else has been just as bad. Think i will have to save up and add it on to my policy without increasing my payments every month!
    thanks for all the suggestions and advice but i dont think im going to have any luck!
    Really? What kind of car do you have? How old are you? Ours is only £350 for business use but I don't have it as I don't use car - looked into it a few weeks back though.

12. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i am with sheila's wheels - they didn't charge me any extra at all
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

14. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mines with the AA, just a small extra charge-about 6-7 pounds I think, Lloydstsb were good too. I clearly stated I'm a childminder and its written on my policy, I've claimed on it too in the past-some dohnut drove up the bumper of my car at a junction, 4 children in the car-insurance arranged a people carrier as a replacement car, while mine was repaired, as that's what I had, excellent service :0)
    Have you telephoned, rather than doing it online? There isn't often an option for childminder cover on the internet, so you put in class one use and, bang, massive premium.

16. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodness my annual premium is less than your top up fee, try the comparison sites, go compare always comes up cheapest for us, I'm with quote me happy at the moment.

18. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi.

I have admiral multicar. Ive had business use on my car for few years as needed it for my previous job.

Our insurance is £107 a month. I have bussiness use and insured to drive anycar. My oh is also insured to drive mine. He also has epilepsi so its higher as he is on a 3 year resrticted licence. It went up by £4 month when i changed my ocupation.

I think ours is high. Im 26 and have only had my licence 5 years and dd with his condidtion i think its prob quite reasonable... !!!

20. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

We have admiral multicar too. Hubby has a sports car and I have a people carrier. We pay about £650 a year, and there was no extra charge for business class 1 insurance as a childminder.

22. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodness thats very high, same as some of the others I didn't pay any extra for Class 1 business use, I'm with Churchill. Are you sure its Class 1 you are being quoted for?

24. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Swindon and I pay an extra £20 for business use..

26. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

hi all, well im 33, held my licence for 5 years and have a renault kangoo atm so i dont quite know why my chages have come up so high. my oh is a hgv driver having held his licence for 17yrs and being a named driver hasnt made a difference etc. think i need to do some more looking around!!! thanks all!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimmy79 View Post
    hi all, well im 33, held my licence for 5 years and have a renault kangoo atm so i dont quite know why my chages have come up so high. my oh is a hgv driver having held his licence for 17yrs and being a named driver hasnt made a difference etc. think i need to do some more looking around!!! thanks all!
    Have you tried putting the insurance in his name with you as a named driver? I'm 23 with only 3 years no claims as have been named driver on policies for a few years. Hubby is 26 with 6 years no claims, we've both been driving since we were 17 - so 6 and 9 years now. We have a 2.2 freelander 2 and ours is less than £400.

29. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was with Churchill for many years and then they hiked their prices , I went to MM and the renewal quote was stupid. I am currently with Tesco I pay under £300 per year for a Skoda Octavia. However I have been driving since 1973 when I passed my test and until a twit went into the back of us on holiday had had no claims for nearly 30 years. I have never had any points on my Driving Licence ever either so that will affect what I pay.

I have been very impressed with them as well because we had an idiot go in the back of us when we were on holiday in Scotland a few weeks ago, no one hurt and the car is drivable, just a dent under the number plate. I got a quote from my Skoda Dealer (I have been buying my Octavias from them for 13 years and they always service etc and have always been very fair) I phoned Tesco they told me their replacement car people would call but if they couldn't guarantee me a car that I can get my three child seats in they will pay the very reasonable £12 per day my Skoda Dealer will charge for an Octavia. An assessor came out to inspect my car this morning and they have dealt with my Dealer often and said their quote was very fair so I am now waiting to have it booked in for the work to be done. Though when I spoke to my dealer he said we should take son + bicycle up to Uni in Liverpool before the work is done. He said 'Your'e not putting a bike on the back on my new paint work!!'.

I am really impressed.

31. Likes kimmy79 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast