Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: ages and ratios

Registered Childminder since
    june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ages and ratios

hi all,
    could anyone clarify my question for me please? ok so we can have 6 children, 1 birth-12months and 3 in the early years age group so where do the other 2 come from?
    Also if you have say an 8 month old and three others say aged 1 to say 3...... when the 8month old turns 1 year old can you still care for them or does it take you over your numbers?? hope this makes sense to someone as i dont think ive worded it very well!

thanks in advance!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kimmy79 View Post
    hi all,
    could anyone clarify my question for me please? ok so we can have 6 children, 1 birth-12months and 3 in the early years age group so where do the other 2 come from?
    Also if you have say an 8 month old and three others say aged 1 to say 3...... when the 8month old turns 1 year old can you still care for them or does it take you over your numbers?? hope this makes sense to someone as i dont think ive worded it very well!

thanks in advance!
    No you are reading the ratios slightly wrong.

You can have 6 under 8. 3 of these may be under 5 but only 1 of these may be under 1.

So if you take on an 8month old you can only have another 2 under the age of 5. So it doesn't matter when they turn 1 because you will still only have 3 under 5
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks fussyelmo! oh this ratio thing is confusing at times! i was told on the local authority course you could have 1 under 12month old and three under 5's? i have a 2yr old of my own and she said i could take on an under 1 and 2 more under 5's....is this not the case? thanks again

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks fussyelmo! oh this ratio thing is confusing at times! i was told on the local authority course you could have 1 under 12month old and three under 5's? i have a 2yr old of my own and she said i could take on an under 1 and 2 more under 5's....is this not the case? thanks again
    No its not you can take on 2 more under 5's but only 1 of these can be under 1. Your 2 year old takes up one of the spaces
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No that's not right, 3 under 5's of which one MAY be under 1. Basically saying you can't have more than 1 under 1 yo

8. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No you can only have 3 children under 5 years old - that could be 1 under one and 2 between one and five or it could be 3 between one and five. You can't have 4 under 5 unless existing parents need to change or increase days. Not sure how it was worded on your course but you may have misunderstand the "and" "or" part.

10. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Apart from your own 2 (assuming they are under 5) you can have an additional 4 children and of these 4 you can have 1 in the early years age group, which age is up to you. On top of this you can have 3 more out of the early years age group (5-8 years) or you could have 4 in the 5-8 age group.

Once you own child turns 5 you can change your age ratio's: so you would have 2 under 5 and 2 over 5 but if you already had 4 children plus your own you could not take on anymore

Hope that clears it up

In a nutshell you can have:

4 children of which up to 1 can be in the early years and can be of any age in the early years
    Debbie

12. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you both, so i have my 2 year old, a 7 month old starting in october and a possible 1 year old starting september so that means i cant take on any others apart from over 8's? so how do people do the 6 under 8 when it seems so restricting? thanks so much, such a big help!

Post Thanks / Like

thank you both, so i have my 2 year old, a 7 month old starting in october and a possible 1 year old starting september so that means i cant take on any others apart from over 8's? so how do people do the 6 under 8 when it seems so restricting? thanks so much, such a big help!
    No

You can have 3 UNDER 5 one of which can be a baby(under 1) so with what you have mentioned above that's all your under 5 spaces taken as your 2 year old counts in your numbers.

You can also have three 5-8 year olds AS WELL

15. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No you can take on 3 children aged 5-8 as well

17. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    june 13
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks all, i didnt see the other replies so thanks again. there were a few of us on the same course and we have discussed it and all came to the same conclusion so im baffled really. I also phoned my local authority advisor last week and she said we can have 2 under 1's as long as its risk assessed and the other parents are happy with it........no wonder we are all confused!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry think I confused you by saying you had two children

If you have your child, 1 Sept and 1 other that is 3 under 5 so you would have space for another 3 between the ages of 5 and 8 (at school)
    Debbie

20. Likes kimmy79 liked this post
    Non childminder member
    EY Practitioner
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh it 3 under 5's only one of these can be under 1, still 3 though no matter what, you can have 3 more between 6-8

22. Likes kimmy79 liked this post