Starting childminding
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    EY Practitioner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting childminding

Right I'm seriously thinking about becoming a childminder, I haven't yet done any of the courses or anything but I am going to save as much money as possible before doing them. I already have done some courses such as safeguarding and first aid as I work at a nursery but don't know If I would have to do them again as it is a different environment. Anyway my question is how much do you think I should save up before starting my journey? An estimate if possible I have no children of my own so no toys/ equipment as of yet but I just want to know how much I would need to get started off for courses/insurance/equipment/toys/ofsted reg fees etc. any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Registered Childminder since
    Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    I'm newly registered, but have two kids so loads of toys etc this is what I spent

Ofsted 35 per year
    Insurance with morton michel membership approx 144 then 45 yearly
    Car insurance business class 20 one off payment
    Course 315
    First aid 90
    Doctor health form 40
    First aid box 20
    Advertise childcare.co.uk 90 per year (optional)
    Stationary,printer ink, folders, paper etc 30 ish
    Safety locks-doors, cupboards, medical cabinet 20

Will also need (but already had)
    Stair gates
    Socket covers
    No trailing wires
    Range of toys
    Craft stuff
    Travel cot
    Change mat
    Pushchair
    High chair
    Bowls cups etc
    Toilet training seat
    Potty
    Stool
    Books

I think that was everything. Hope that helps. Ofsted target is 12 weeks to get you registered from when you send form in and mine took 18 weeks. So be prepared to wait and wait.

Good luck

Non childminder member
    EY Practitioner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1 View Post
    Hi
    I'm newly registered, but have two kids so loads of toys etc this is what I spent

Ofsted 35 per year
    Insurance with morton michel membership approx 144 then 45 yearly
    Car insurance business class 20 one off payment
    Course 315
    First aid 90
    Doctor health form 40
    First aid box 20
    Advertise childcare.co.uk 90 per year (optional)
    Stationary,printer ink, folders, paper etc 30 ish
    Safety locks-doors, cupboards, medical cabinet 20

Will also need (but already had)
    Stair gates
    Socket covers
    No trailing wires
    Range of toys
    Craft stuff
    Travel cot
    Change mat
    Pushchair
    High chair
    Bowls cups etc
    Toilet training seat
    Potty
    Stool
    Books

I think that was everything. Hope that helps. Ofsted target is 12 weeks to get you registered from when you send form in and mine took 18 weeks. So be prepared to wait and wait.

Good luck
    Thank you! Do you think it would be wise to get most things before registering as they could always say no to me and then I would be left with a lot of stuff I can't use? I'm moving house in the next couple of months as ATM I'm living in a flat and will be moving into a house so I am going to wait before doing anything until I have moved anyway (house is decorated perfectly so don't need money for that and already have most things in flat so don't need to buy alot) I just don't want to be left with loads of stuff.

Thanks again

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteffiM View Post
    Thank you! Do you think it would be wise to get most things before registering as they could always say no to me and then I would be left with a lot of stuff I can't use? I'm moving house in the next couple of months as ATM I'm living in a flat and will be moving into a house so I am going to wait before doing anything until I have moved anyway (house is decorated perfectly so don't need money for that and already have most things in flat so don't need to buy alot) I just don't want to be left with loads of stuff.

Thanks again
    I would recommend waiting to buy things or picking them up if you see them on freecycle, boot fairs, ebay, charity shops or friends. Particularly the big stuff. Wait to see what children you have start. However concentrate on safety stuff - first aid box, stair gates, drawer locks etc.

It can take up to a year to register from going to the first briefing session so it is not a quick process. It can be as short as 3 months though. At present there is a limited grant that new childcare settings can apply for.

I have bought pottys, training seats etc as they were needed. When I first started I only had a few toys, some craft stuff and a single pushchair.

The first child I had was nearly 3, then a 2.5 year old, then a 2 year old - so I didn't need to buy a highchair, double buggy etc for 2 1/2 years. Even now I tend to buy things when I know new children will be starting. My pushchair is 8 years old and I have just bought a new one off kiddicare for £36 as I have a baby starting in October. I have slowly collected car seats over the years but I will still need to buy another backed booster for Oct as I have another 4 year old starting (will be 3 on some days). Before I moved I rarely used the car for minding so did not need lots of carseats or a 7 seater.

You could make a wish list of items that you would like to buy to show your pre reg inspector. You are not expected to be fully equipped before your pre-reg or when you first start.

Good luck

Ps look for multicultural books, toys and activities in the charity shops & boot fairs
    Last edited by tulip0803; 11-08-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Non childminder member
    EY Practitioner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post

I would recommend waiting to buy things or picking them up if you see them on freecycle, boot fairs, ebay, charity shops or friends. Particularly the big stuff. Wait to see what children you have start. However concentrate on safety stuff - first aid box, stair gates, drawer locks etc.

It can take up to a year to register from going to the first briefing session so it is not a quick process. It can be as short as 3 months though. At present there is a limited grant that new childcare settings can apply for.

I have bought pottys, training seats etc as they were needed. When I first started I only had a few toys, some craft stuff and a single pushchair.

The first child I had was nearly 3, then a 2.5 year old, then a 2 year old - so I didn't need to buy a highchair, double buggy etc for 2 1/2 years. Even now I tend to buy things when I know new children will be starting. My pushchair is 8 years old and I have just bought a new one off kiddicare for £36 as I have a baby starting in October. I have slowly collected car seats over the years but I will still need to buy another backed booster for Oct as I have another 4 year old starting (will be 3 on some days). Before I moved I rarely used the car for minding so did not need lots of carseats or a 7 seater.

You could make a wish list of items that you would like to buy to show your pre reg inspector. You are not expected to be fully equipped before your pre-reg or when you first start.

Good luck

Ps look for multicultural books, toys and activities in the charity shops & boot fairs
    Yeh that's why I was thinking of doing leaving all things like high chairs etc until later on. I was thinking to get a few toys as I see bargains etc. as I've got nieces anyway so they can play with some when they come round if everything doesn't pan out. I was thinking of putting together a little scrap book maybe of the toys I want and am going to get? Is that ok? Have u heard anyone not pass registration phase? I'm really nervous even though I won't be doing it for another couple of months lol

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteffiM View Post
    Yeh that's why I was thinking of doing leaving all things like high chairs etc until later on. I was thinking to get a few toys as I see bargains etc. as I've got nieces anyway so they can play with some when they come round if everything doesn't pan out. I was thinking of putting together a little scrap book maybe of the toys I want and am going to get? Is that ok? Have u heard anyone not pass registration phase? I'm really nervous even though I won't be doing it for another couple of months lol
    Think the scrap book is a good idea and will show Mrs O what you will plan

I am sure that there must be some people that are not registered but I have not heard of any. A refusal would be for a child protection reason. Unsafe property, someone on premises that does not pass DBS or something very serious comes up on health declaration.

If they need you to do something or change something they will tell you and then give you a chance to change it and let them know.