Ratio..... Is this legal
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ratio..... Is this legal

I'm newly qualified, I have ment a childminder done the road who has the follow children

Boy -3months
    Boy - 18 months
    Boy - 3yrs
    Boy - 3 yrs
    Girl -3yrs
    Girl- 6 yrs

I asked her about it and she says she allowed 6 kids and from October any amount once you can prove you are managing

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is as long as it is continunuity(sp) of care. If she had three of them on one day and three on another she could then combine the two as long as she could prove she could cope. Or if it is current mindies siblings starting to be minded then that's ok as long as it doesn't go above 6 under 8's

If it is new business then it is not allowed.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all new business started, 2 kids are hers the 3 month old boy and 3yrs old girl, but all the rest started within the past 3 weeks

OCT 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there's alot of people who don't fully understand the new rules and going over numbers.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Get on the phone to Ofsted then. It sounds like she is either being deceitful or somehow has the wrong idea about what is allowed

6. Likes shortstuff liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

unfortunately its happening , I had a childminder friend who thought she didnt have to include her own 2 children under 8 in her numbers and had 5 under 5s the other day

I put her straight but whether she has done anything about it I dont know , and its all new business and she needs to give notice to 2 parents as far as I could work out

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix2010 View Post
    unfortunately its happening , I had a childminder friend who thought she didnt have to include her own 2 children under 8 in her numbers and had 5 under 5s the other day

I put her straight but whether she has done anything about it I dont know , and its all new business and she needs to give notice to 2 parents as far as I could work out
    How does this happen? She shouldn't be childminding if she doesn't know the rules!

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tgabriellep View Post
    I'm newly qualified, I have ment a childminder done the road who has the follow children

Boy -3months
    Boy - 18 months
    Boy - 3yrs
    Boy - 3 yrs
    Girl -3yrs
    Girl- 6 yrs

I asked her about it and she says she allowed 6 kids and from October any amount once you can prove you are managing
    eeerm , any amount ?? no I dont think so , that would be madness !!

As far as Im aware you can still only have 6 under 8s ,

I think the new certificates with no details on them seem to have given alot of childminders the idea that there are no longer any restrictions and they can have as many children as they like , whatever ages

It actually makes my blood boil

10. Likes wellybelly liked this post
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

So in total, 6 under 8 yrs old. Of these 6 children, 3 can be in the EYs (under 5) and 1 can be under 1yr . Am asking not telling

12. Likes phoenix2010 liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    So in total, 6 under 8 yrs old. Of these 6 children, 3 can be in the EYs (under 5) and 1 can be under 1yr . Am asking not telling
    thats right , and dont forget your own children are included in that , some people I know think their kids dont count if they are at school or nursery

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, I was stood there questioning myself but because I'm newly qualified so I didn't want to push it. I'll make the call tomorrow

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is continuity of care eg: I look after 6 different children over the course of the week and if for some reason they all wanted to change/increase days and all wanted to come on a Monday then I would be allowed to do this, providing I had carried out a variation and notified all parents, risk assessed etc. But would I want to?

No thank you - I do have 4 on a Monday which works well as I have taken into account the ages/abilities and friendship groups, I hate my double buggy so have no intention of getting a triple and I haven't got a 7 seater car.

I think some childminders heard on the news initially the change of ratios that was being proposed for childminders and thought it was happening - so may have taken on new business, also the removal of conditions from certificates has confused lots of people too.

I would maybe report this person to your local development officer (if you have one) rather than Ofsted as you don't want to make an enemy of this person if she lives locally - she may just need some guidance.

16. Likes silvermist liked this post
    MAY 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix2010 View Post

5 Under 5 !!! I'd like to see her Daily Dairies, Obs, trackers etc etc

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
    5 Under 5 !!! I'd like to see her Daily Dairies, Obs, trackers etc etc
    Assuming she does some

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if she was allowed them, she should show some common sense and not take them all on. No way their getting everything they need to fulfil EYFS.

Also you can include your child as a 5yo if they are in full time school even if they are only 4.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 5 under 5 for one day (7hrs) ...never again

Couldn't do it all the time, there's no way I could have done anything regarding paperwork, it was just a day of sheer rushing about like a loon.
    I didn't even manage to fill out daily diarys that day
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't even want this, let along a new minder doing it ):
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the comments.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    Even if she was allowed them, she should show some common sense and not take them all on. No way their getting everything they need to fulfil EYFS.

Also you can include your child as a 5yo if they are in full time school even if they are only 4.
    Indeed but they still count in your overall number

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I can understand how people are becoming confused...I rang my DO to clarify that I could have 5 LO's under 5 in December (an hour overlap on 2 days) and tbh I got the feeling she wasn't too clear on it herself.

She said the ratios were the same (3 under 5's,3 over) any increase in ratios was only for existing children/siblings and the only actual change is that we won't have to apply for a variation but can 'self-assess'.....does this sound right??

25. Likes phoenix2010 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast