Considering becoming a childminder, lots of questions and am a bit scared!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering becoming a childminder, lots of questions and am a bit scared!

Hi everyone,

Have been thinking about childminding for so long now and think it is time to jump in and start the registration process. However I have a couple of questions that I was wondering if you could help me with.

1) How long does registration take and how much does it cost? I am currently at risk from redundancy from my current job and wondering if I should take voulentrey and live off that whilst I train or if I should try and get my job and then leave once all my training is done.

2) What does the health check at doc involve, I have been really ill after giving birth am better now but would this effect anything?

3) What happens if I get ill or preg again? When I get preg I get very sick, obv not planing to get preg for a good number of years but when it does happen will I get any sick pay/maternity pay?

4)Would having a greyhound and a lizard cause any prob when becoming a childminder (dog is fine).

5)How quickly did you find clients?

I really like the idea of childminding, I love looking after my daughter and have had experience of looking after children with disabilities but the thought of being self employed is a bit scary.

Thanks

Hannah

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah Humphrey View Post
    Hi everyone,

Have been thinking about childminding for so long now and think it is time to jump in and start the registration process. However I have a couple of questions that I was wondering if you could help me with.

1) How long does registration take and how much does it cost? I am currently at risk from redundancy from my current job and wondering if I should take voulentrey and live off that whilst I train or if I should try and get my job and then leave once all my training is done.It can take up to a year to register, it is not a quick process. You have to complete a course and receive the certificate before you apply to become a childminder. Contact your local FIS (family information Service) at your local council to find out what the process in your area is and the timescales.

2) What does the health check at doc involve, I have been really ill after giving birth am better now but would this effect anything?The health check involves your doctor confirming that you are in good health, fit to work with children and will not cause a danger to children. You may be referred to your registering body's own doctors if anything comes up and they will make a decision. I was referred as I have asthma

3) What happens if I get ill or preg again? When I get preg I get very sick, obv not planing to get preg for a good number of years but when it does happen will I get any sick pay/maternity pay?Depending on how you feel during pregnancy you may need to give notice to some or all mindees. I didn't fill spaces when I ws planning to become pregnant to make my life a little easier. As long as you pay your National Insurance contributions (voluntary if you do not earn enough) you are entitled to claim benefits should the need arise

4)Would having a greyhound and a lizard cause any prob when becoming a childminder (dog is fine).No problems. some parents may be put off by pets others love them. I have had a wide variety of pets over the years including rats (which got me a child). You need to risk assess and show how you will keep children safe from the animals (never alone, wash hands, cleaning up after them etc)

5)How quickly did you find clients?It does depend on area and situation/time. I have been registered twice first time I had fulltime preschool and after school waiting for me to start. Second time I had 1 child for 6 hours a week for 6 months then another started for 6 hours and first child left! took me about 18 months to get going but that was just as the economic crash started.

I really like the idea of childminding, I love looking after my daughter and have had experience of looking after children with disabilities but the thought of being self employed is a bit scary.

Thanks

Hannah
    Hello and welcome

good luck

Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

How long after ofsted inspection do you become a fully qualified childminder. Need help as my childminder for my daughter is still not qualified and I really don't want to have to look else whete as my daughter settled well when I went to go see childminder about putting daughter into her care. Please help!! Xxx

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Registration can take up to a year. You need to do a training course (CYPOP5) which is subsidised - mine cost £60 including the mandatory paediatric first aid training. Also bought First Aid kit (£20), OFSTED registration £35, Health Declaration form (you need to get your GP to fill it in, most will charge, mine cost £80). Various bits of safety equipment cost me around £200. Then you'll need toys and resources (although you probably have quite a few for your daughter).

Health check will probably be ok if your illness was directly related to your pregnancy.

Sorry, because you're self-employed you don't get sickness or maternity pay.

Greyhound and lizard should be ok - need to do risk assessment for both of them and put into place what you'll do to minimise potential risks to children.

Finding clients - don't know, depends how in demand childminders are in your area. Check the Family Information Service for your area and ask around - probably be a local childminders support group.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Equipment wise try NCT sales as that is where I bought my gates and other baby equipment. Don't buy too much for pre reg I do have things as I have young nieces and nephew's

june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good dec11
    Post Thanks / Like

You may get maternity allowance if you pay your national insurance.
    You will need to do a childminding course and then get crb,and doc checks, ofsted need to come round after your forms are filled out for your pre reg visit. So could take a year, first aid is mandatory which is around £60, youl need to do food hygiene course. Safeguarding etc. then youl need to get pushchair and relevant car seats and childcare.co.uk can help find children needing care. X