In application process please help!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Working to be
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry In application process please help!!

Hello, I'm filling out my registration form for ofstead. I'm very clueless and not able to get info anywhere. Job centre told be I should look for a real job and stopped my benfits for wanting to be a childminder and not applying for other jobs. This has made funding hard as I have no money does anyone know where to apply for the start up grants?

I have nvq level 3 already and just booked on to a first aid course. Do I need to still pay for the local approved course ? Which is £185 ? It says I can't join the pacey site where they do the course until I am crb checked.

How do u get your crb checks done for me and my partner? I understand Ill have to pay myself but the crb site says you can't crb check yourself.

Any information you think may help I will appreciate. After the way the job center treated what I call a good career I need all the support I can get thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya

I don't have all the info as I'm still going through it all myself but the bits I do know are you can do First aid for about £100 with Red cross or st Johns ambulance and from what I found online they dont do grants anymore

HTH

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devontrevillion View Post
    Hello, I'm filling out my registration form for ofstead. I'm very clueless and not able to get info anywhere. Job centre told be I should look for a real job and stopped my benfits for wanting to be a childminder and not applying for other jobs. This has made funding hard as I have no money does anyone know where to apply for the start up grants?

I have nvq level 3 already and just booked on to a first aid course. Do I need to still pay for the local approved course ? Which is £185 ? It says I can't join the pacey site where they do the course until I am crb checked.

How do u get your crb checks done for me and my partner? I understand Ill have to pay myself but the crb site says you can't crb check yourself.

Any information you think may help I will appreciate. After the way the job center treated what I call a good career I need all the support I can get thanks
    i think the best thing to do is get in touch with your local authority. each area does things differently but they will definately be able to help you-good luck x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Ofsted pay for all crb check, or barring and disclosure as they are now known. I think you have to do the course, someone on my course had a level. 3 but had to do the course still, although didnt have to sit the final exam (although it seems in some area and online courses do weekly tasks and no exam)
    You would also need to pay out for your gp to sign your health declaration, this varies from surgery to surgery, do you would have to ask at your own what they charge.
    Mandy xx

Post Thanks / Like

To do the cypop5 course, which is what ofsted require you don't need a crb as you are not a registered childminder yet
    Mandy xx

Post Thanks / Like

Check with your local authority as they should do the course, sometimes they are partly or fully funded. I only had to pay £20 for mine but couldn't do it immediately as there was only one course each term
    Mandy xx

Non childminder member
    Working to be
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for help

Thanks for some replys ... I contacted ECC (essexs local authority) and they put me through to essexs child care section ... They told me to just do the CYPOP5 with pacey x it's about £165 x they no longer do pre registration meetings in Essex so reli hard to get facts in order specially when the job center practically laugh at you for wanting to do this and tell you they won't help.

Yh Amy I found a training place in London that ones it for 85 x I live out side of London so now thinking about it would have been easier to just pay the 100.

Thanks for the information about crb. I'm guessing ofsteads fee will cover crb checks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just been through registration (had my visit yesterday)
    I live in Poole, my LA don't run the course or have funding as the LA do not deem there to be a shortage of child care. I did the PACEY (NCMA when I did it) they give you 3 months to do it, but it's 40 hours worth work. As you have NVQ 3 already you'll probably do it quickly, it is easy to navigate really. The LA should have a list of approved 1st aiders, I only paid £60 for my 2 day course but I guess different areas charge differently.

Ofsted registration process is fairly straight forward: they wont let you register until you have completed the CYPOC 5 or whatever you LA approved course is, plus the 1t aid certificate. To register on both parts compulsory and voluntary (which is recommended it saves you hassle if you decide to have siblings in the holidays for example) it was £35 that included CRB for me and my husband. You will however need to pay whatever fee your GP charges for the medical form (something I didn't find out till I went to get it!) They can charge anything from £20 - £250 so find out asap especially if your funds are limited. All in the essentials; training registration checks etc my start up costs came to £500 with no funding - the only thing I can claim back after I am registered is the 1st aid!

Good luck with it!

Post Thanks / Like

You will be able to put all your start up costs against your next tax year though
    Although I only had to pay £20 towards my course I've still had to pay out for everything else to get me setup. I suppose its the same for everyone who starts up their own business
    Mandy xx

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

First off the Job centre tried that approach with me 2 advisors told me the same thing, I asked to see someone specific and she supported me and also helped me to access funding and I now see a different advisor but he supports me. KEEP ON AT THEM it is a proper career.
    Don't let them fob u off Pacey have been helpful more than my LA who i have not heard from since pre-reg course. Talk to other Cm's as they will most often help.
    Use here it has been helpful and so have other sites