First meeting of potential parents! Help!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First meeting of potential parents! Help!

I have a meeting on Monday with a potential parent, but have no idea what to say or do? I feel as if I should be taking the lead but don't want to come across as pushy. Since I am new to all this any advise would be appreciated. Out first meeting is away from my home. Think the parent felt a little uneasy coming to my home when they don't know me from Adam.

Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

This is probably a bit naughty but I'm bumping this as I really need some advice!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would invite people to my home - it's where their child is going to be playing and they are going to come every day they drop their child off.

I do a quick show round, leave them to read my files while I get them / their child a drink, answer any questions they might have and then share info and documents depending on how our conversation is going.

There is a list of things that parents must be told about in the Eyfs - follow that and you won't go far wrong.

Do you have a little welcome booklet or similar? That might be useful to set out your terms and conditions... and a fee schedule of course!

we all get nervous I think - just give yourself a moment to answer and you'll be fine

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I used to be the same and I now jot a few reminders down so then I don't forget to ask things! It can be abit daunting and I've experienced those awful silences a few times you know when your mind goes blank and the parents don't know what to ask and it all goes quiet!!!

I would go through your routine, what groups you go to, what activities you do, I would also get your fee structure typed up so then there are no comebacks, mine has details of holiday, sickness, who pays for what etc. I've spoken to parents verbally in the past about fee structure and then when the time comes to sign contracts the parents have misunderstood what has been said and it can be abit awkward, so I've learnt from my errors and now always give fee structure in black and white. (If you feel uncomfortable giving parents this on the first meeting, just make sure you do it before you sign contracts). I have a little welcome booklet that I give to parents as well.

Always make a fuss of the baby/child, ask loads of questions about them, their routine, what they like, what they don't like etc and show a keen interest. I say this as I was looking for a childminder once (before I became one!) and I had spoken to a one at a local playgroup and mentioned that I might be interested in her caring for my dd. I brought my dd over to her expecting her to make a fuss and she completely ignored her! It really put me off and that has always stayed with me as I felt so upset that she just didn't so much as say hello to her! The main thing the parent will be lookng at is how you interact and respond to the baby/child and how they respond to you.

Just be yourself, plan in the mind what you want to talk about and what you would ask a childminder if you were looking for one.

x

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems odd they aren't coming to your home, they need to see your environment, facilities etc as well as meet you. Are you happy to meet them elsewhere?

Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy De View Post
    Seems odd they aren't coming to your home, they need to see your environment, facilities etc as well as meet you. Are you happy to meet them elsewhere?
    I did think it was odd, but another CM friend said she is a young girl. So maybe she's a little nervous about coming to a strangers house. I will insist she comes and has a look around before she signs any contracts.

I like the idea of a welcome pack with prices. Will definitely do that and take it with me. Thanks for the advice.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy De View Post
    I agree with this - not sure I understand the reasoning behind this
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about it, the more I realise how crazy it is that she's asked to meet elsewhere. So, I have decided that I will contact the parent tomorrow and politely ask her to come to my house. Thank you for making me see sense!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a list to remind me of the things I need to tell a parent or find out. It's only a short one, based on the EYFS requirements. I also don't do contracts/fees on first visit. If they were really keen I'd say that we both should take a short while to make sure we are comfortable and don't have any other questions before we discuss all that. Your own realisation on here is testament to that being a good idea!!! Both parties may all get carried away and then on reflection remember that something didn't quite sit right. I also charge differently depending on tto or not, may give sibling discount etc, so I want time to think about that to. All I can say is that its worked for me so far!

Post Thanks / Like

If the new parent is anxious, she may feel more comfortable if you invite her to bring a friend or relative with her so that she has someone with her. It often helps to break the ice a little when there is more than one person to bounce the conversation off.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there anywhere nearby that you could meet in initially and then go back to yours when she's feeling more comfortable?

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I suppose it depends on where you are meeting, if its at a playgroup where you can both meet up and have an informal chat while the children play, I would be happy to do that on a first meeting if that is what the parent wanted. Anywhere else, I would probably arrange to meet at home. xx