Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    just started course
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Just starting out

I went to my first registration meeting last nite. To say that I found it very daunting is
    an understatement !! Masses of homework booklets to buy paperwork I really want to be a childminder
    but am finding the process very scary. I wondered if any other members felt the same in the beginning.
    I only joined on here tonight so im not sure what im doing on here either lol xx

Pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Know how you feel

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean, I have quite a responsible challenging job that I am being made redundant from and thought that childminding would be great to get into as I have always enjoyed working with kids, but looking into it it seems a huge minefield that I am finding quite scary.

Good luck I am sure we will get there

Riceygirl

3. Likes Kenan's mum liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Very daunting.... dont be worried to ask questions even if you think they sound silly we all get stuck or want advise

Theres so much to do, try making lists....i habe several and try amd get atleast one thing ticked of an evening and slowly but surly im getting their

Good luck xx

5. Likes Kenan's mum liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You'll get there

As long as you have thought hard about the challenges ahead you'll be ready for them.
    I am just about to complete the CYPOC 5 course with NCMA, I spent so much time over thinking things so my advise would be to just go with what you think your trainer will let you know if you need to re-think. Most of it is common sense or you will find the answer in the book / online.
    I have a huge list that keeps growing - I would suggest looking at the registration requirements - you can find them on the Ofsted website and start working on them as the training wont cover it all.
    I remember at my pre-reg briefing the team were really blunt and laid it all out which was off-putting to some people, if your confident it is the career change for you then don't be put off by the red tape and remember there is always someone you can ask for advise

7. Likes Kenan's mum, Cyndi liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just starting out to .....

Quote Originally Posted by Kenan's mum View Post
    I went to my first registration meeting last nite. To say that I found it very daunting is
    an understatement !! Masses of homework booklets to buy paperwork I really want to be a childminder
    but am finding the process very scary. I wondered if any other members felt the same in the beginning.
    I only joined on here tonight so im not sure what im doing on here either lol xx
    I truly understand what you mean , I started my first day of the CYPOP 5 yesterday morning and I don't even know where to start. The teacher did tell us that if we purchased the The Home-based Childcare Student book level 3 Unit it will help , so thats what I'am going to do and see if that helps me.

Good Luck with yours x

9. Likes Kenan's mum liked this post
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    just started course
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riceygirl View Post
    Hi,

I know exactly what you mean, I have quite a responsible challenging job that I am being made redundant from and thought that childminding would be great to get into as I have always enjoyed working with kids, but looking into it it seems a huge minefield that I am finding quite scary.

Good luck I am sure we will get there

Riceygirl
    Thank you so much for your reply. Im glad that im not the only 1 !!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You've definitely come to the right place for advice! This forum is great and I would recommend spending some time reading through posts on here. It's always comforting when you see everyone is struggling with the same issues!

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with it all
    Making a to do list is always a good way of working your way through things (always satisfying to cross off a job done) & when you think of something else to do you can just add it on rather than trying to remember everything in your head.
    Welcome to the forum too!

13. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been minding since Oct '11 and I still have days when I don't seem to know what the hell i'm doing....as childminders we're learning every day.

15. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing it for 18 months and it gets easier. Keep telling yourself it is all just about looking after children which you know you can do and are good at.
    I agree about the lists and tick off as you do each thing. And don't feel daunted.
    Also make it your homework to read current posts every day on here. This has been the only place where I have had solid sensible help to every question or issue and I definitely wouldn't have got my outstanding without these wonderful people.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

jan 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, this is my first post on this site so not sure in I'm in the right place, but I had my pre-registration visit last Thursday and I'm pleased to say I am now a registered childminder, just waiting for my certificate to come through. I am currently working in a day nursery and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to start out. I'm unable to quit my job as I need the income so the transition period between my job and childminding is tricky. Can anyone help with any ideas or suggestions, please

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default daddy daycare

hello everyone

i just wondered if you would be able to give me some feedback on becomming a childminder.

I am a 27 years young man and father, who has recently had a yound child and so in wanting to spend time treasuring the precious moments thought about becomming a c.m

i have looked around and researched other c.ms in my area (hull, east yorkshire) and there is not one other male childminder. i see this as a positive thing as i appreciate not every family has a stable positive role model in their lives and i would feel very proud i helping other children develop and have fun in doing so!

so its all hands on deck starting up with FISH, induction and a weeks course plus getting to grips with all the paperwork and insurance/ legalities.

what would be your views on me as a young man starting up???

Many thanks
    Drew

19. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Drew

You aren't on your own here, Rick_Knight is a male member as is Bunyip, both very informative guys with the male perspective

Personally, I think it's admirable to have male childminders, and it's certainly a positive selling point, particularly for being a role model to young children who may not have a male influence in their lives.

I'm sure you will get some narrow minded people on your journey to becoming a childminder, and once you're up and running, but take that as an opportunity to prove yourself better than the rest

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Welcome to the forum Drew

Personally, I think it's admirable to have male childminders, and it's certainly a positive selling point, particularly for being a role model to young children who may not have a male influence in their lives.

I'm sure you will get some narrow minded people on your journey to becoming a childminder, and once you're up and running, but take that as an opportunity to prove yourself better than the rest
    I'm sure people will turn up their noses and have an opinion but ignore them I agree being a role model for those who don't have a male influence in their life is a great opportunity xxx good luck xxxx