How long does it take to begin childminding?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    future childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long does it take to begin childminding?

From scratch i mean. Im so unsure as to when to begin and am concerned about my income during training and waiting for children, wonder if i could do all this and hand in notice once im qualified, i work in a school so all week days are taken up tho. Thankyou xx

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldnt be handing in your notice just yet. It can be lenghty process getting on the course completing the course, crbs, health declarations can all take time.

You should be able to do the course at night so that wont affect your day job.

It can also take a while to get your first mindee.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woowit View Post
    From scratch i mean. Im so unsure as to when to begin and am concerned about my income during training and waiting for children, wonder if i could do all this and hand in notice once im qualified, i work in a school so all week days are taken up tho. Thankyou xx
    From my personal experience:
    1. You have to contact the local authority and enquire about their pre-registration briefing. This tells you about what is involved with childminding generally and the Introduction to Childminding Practice course.
    2. If you still want to do the course, for me, all of the course was contained within 2 and a half hours on a Tuesday night, 6:30 to 9pm, for nine weeks. So potentially you could carry on with your job whilst attending the course.
    3. You can advertise your places whilst doing the course but cannot start actually looking after children until you have an Ofsted certificate in your hand.
    4. Before you can be registered you need to have finished the course, done a 12-hour paediatric first aid course, filled in your Ofsted application, health forms (and given to GP), CRB forms for you and any persons in your house aged 16 and over and had an inspection by Ofsted.

Good luck!

4. Likes mrstom liked this post
    Non childminder member
    future childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

so about 2015 then lol Ill nip into local authority and see what courses etc are available and go from there. Thankyou xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woowit View Post
    so about 2015 then lol Ill nip into local authority and see what courses etc are available and go from there. Thankyou xx
    I was incrediby lucky with timing. I decided I wanted to be a childminder late April, briefing was 9th May, course started the week after, did my first aid and all my paperwork just before holiday, inspected last day in August and I also managed to spend a month in America too! Came back from holiday, not slept for 30 hours, slept that night and the phone rang next day asking if the inspector could come the day after......eeeek! Got through it though, has taken a while to get first children but hopefully it will snowball from there as people will see you out with them etc.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-01-2013 at 12:02 PM.

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

For me from first phone call to registration about 11 months however I delayed things for a few months after initial briefing sessions. It completely depends on where you are and timing. I had to wait 3 weeks for one appointment then another course I was lucky enough came up just at the right time otherwise would have to have waited another 6 weeks. My cypops course fell on 3 consecutive Saturdays which worked well. Definitely get started as soon as possible. Good luck. X

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I was just over 3 months from start to finish but am on Scotland and everything seems to be different!!

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I started process in September I am just nearing the end I have got pleads first aid next weekend, and a medical examination today because of long standing health prob hoping I will have pre-reg by end of jan. I have 2 children waiting at the moment. and the family I nanny for will be using me instead of nursery. I mentioned this to Ofsted and they have advised that I call the day after first aid to arrange the visit.
    it has been a long process and at times have been ready to throw in the towel. But I am almost there.

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Took me about 6 months from first phone call to registration but then another 6 months to get first mindee