Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips for caring for 2 1 year olds please

I am a new childminder and I have a 14 month old of my own. The parents of a 16 month old has accepted me to care for their son full time 5 days a week 9 hours a day. I'm sure it wont all be plain sailing but I am really hoping it will work and we will be able to get into a routine where everyone is happy. If anyone has any tips on how to cope and make it work then that would be great.

Thanks x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That will keep you busy

It's about organisation - getting to know the children's routines really well so you can work round them and have things ready (food, snacks etc) so they are not waiting and getting frustrated and anxious.

Chat to parents about their child's routine and work round it and you will find your days will be relaxed and happy for the little ones in no time at all

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually plot the child's day on a piece of paper, starting with arrival time, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, tea. I add milk and nap times and then try and marry it up with my own child's routine - particularly the sleep times. It will be really useful if you can get them both napping at the same time. You may not be able to do this from day one, but work towards it. I also used this to help me find an 'empty slot' for activities or outings/playgroups. There will be some trial and error at first but you will soon get into a routine, just keep health and safety at the forefront of your mind. For example, I always used to put mindee in cot first for her nap and then my daughter because I knew that my DD could occupy herself for a couple of minutes whilst my mindee was still at the 'putting everything in her mouth' stage and so I couldn't take my eyes off her for a moment. This was the same for strapping them in the buggy. Think about what you will do with the other child when you are doing a nappy change. Also, have some toys (treasure baskets work well) to grab and give to your child for drop off and pick up times, as most childminder's will tell you their own children can become very 'needy' at these times! Always try to be one step ahead - have the travel cot set up before they arrive (if you can) have your bag packed before they arrive so that they are not hanging about and unpacking your bag as you are packing it! Spend the first couple of weeks settling into your new routine, don't be too ambitious or you will get stressed. Don't get out the paints and glitter, just keep your activities simple. Good luck, I loved that age group. x

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I usually plot the child's day on a piece of paper, starting with arrival time, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, tea. I add milk and nap times and then try and marry it up with my own child's routine - particularly the sleep times. It will be really useful if you can get them both napping at the same time. You may not be able to do this from day one, but work towards it. I also used this to help me find an 'empty slot' for activities or outings/playgroups. There will be some trial and error at first but you will soon get into a routine, just keep health and safety at the forefront of your mind. For example, I always used to put mindee in cot first for her nap and then my daughter because I knew that my DD could occupy herself for a couple of minutes whilst my mindee was still at the 'putting everything in her mouth' stage and so I couldn't take my eyes off her for a moment. This was the same for strapping them in the buggy. Think about what you will do with the other child when you are doing a nappy change. Also, have some toys (treasure baskets work well) to grab and give to your child for drop off and pick up times, as most childminder's will tell you their own children can become very 'needy' at these times! Always try to be one step ahead - have the travel cot set up before they arrive (if you can) have your bag packed before they arrive so that they are not hanging about and unpacking your bag as you are packing it! Spend the first couple of weeks settling into your new routine, don't be too ambitious or you will get stressed. Don't get out the paints and glitter, just keep your activities simple. Good luck, I loved that age group. x
    Thank you that is really useful information. It makes sense what your saying about having to occupy my boy before the mindee's parents come to collect them.
    I will also do the list like you said of the routines. I think their routines are both similar. I plan to cook the night before so that it is easier for me and then do the cleaning when all the kids are gone.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, as others have said it is trial and error and thinking about things beforehand. For example, getting them both into and out of the car safely when you go to groups etc, I always put the youngest in the trolley (they are both walkers) as I know that I can manage better when one is safely strapped in the trolley. Sometimes I think people think I am abit cuckoo getting the trolley out when the entrance is nearby but its so much safer and less stressful for me to do it this way.

I also always make sure I have everything sorted the night before as well, no washing up in the sink, clothes sorted, bag packed ready, I know where shoes are, coats are, school bags, toys set up for the next day, food made (although I am abit rubbish on the food prep side, its something I am working on!). I like to start the day as stress free as possible and this works for me.

Just stick with a routine and you will be fine and the children will be happy as they will know what to expect over time.

Hope it goes okay xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i would say don't try to do too much.

keep it simple. no complicated activities, just try water, sand play for messy play.

have treasure baskets, blocks, sensory toys (maybe in a tent) lots of music time with instruments.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

7. Likes RainbowDrops liked this post
    Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always preferred having 2 children of a similar age together. As long as you have all the equipment you need and as others have said plan ahead and keep safety in mind particularly on trips out. Make good use of toddler groups. Most of all enjoy it as it's a really fun age!

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serin View Post
    I am a new childminder and I have a 14 month old of my own. The parents of a 16 month old has accepted me to care for their son full time 5 days a week 9 hours a day. I'm sure it wont all be plain sailing but I am really hoping it will work and we will be able to get into a routine where everyone is happy. If anyone has any tips on how to cope and make it work then that would be great.

Thanks x
    Hi

I usually send parents an all about me booklet to complete and return. this will give you information on the child such as routines,likes and dislikes. This will help the child to feel comfortable and settle better.

Best Wishes and Good Look

Rebecca

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other comments about being organised. Do it all the night before and then allow yourself lots of time to get them to and from places so that you dont get too stressed! Go places with a childminding friend if that helps you. It may take a few weeks but you will find it will settle down as you gain confidence and the new child settles with you. They will grow up together which will be lovely for them both.
    Good luck.

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your advice. It is my second day completed of looking after my son and the new boy. It is going very well. The tip about preoccupying my son with a special toy before the kids parents come is a good tip. On the first day he just moaned pick me up when the boys dad came.
    I have cooked in advance and put some in the freezer or prepared the night before so this has helped a great deal. Also, I trained my son to be used to sleeping on his own by literally just chucking him into his bed and this has been great because he doesnt feel rejected and cry the house down when I leave him.
    Also being able to give them finger food and let them drink their milk on their own is a great help coz it allows me to do something else.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you! You sound like a very organised childminder! Good luck. x

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have it under control! Hope it continues to go well!