Planning permission?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning permission?!

Sent off an email to local planning authority a while ago and today they have sent a response to say I do need planning permission as there will be parking and noise issues. They also said I will need a change of use from dwelling houses to non residential institutions. Really confused as only planning to do this part time and everyone else in my area who has inquired has been told they don't need planning. So fed up, as it feels like another mountain to climb before I can even register. Sorry for moaning! Needed to vent

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem which was saucing quite a lot of confusion! Basically, the planning dept were saying yes but everywhere else were saying no. If you are caring for up to 6 children, then planning shouldn't be required if you are making no structural changes. If you start to care for more than 6 children, then it may be required.

In the end, I rang the county council and asked them and they confirmed tgat planning wasn't required. It's not a change of use of the building as its still a residential property.

I hope this helps

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Planning permission is not normally required for the normal 6 children under 8.

Document ‘Planning Policy Guidance 4: Industrial, commercial development and small firms’, (known as PPG4, Crown Copyright 2006) states,

‘For example, the use by a householder of a room as an office, or childminding complying with the Department of Health's standard recommended ratios, would be unlikely to mean that the character of the house's use as a single dwelling had ceased and would not normally require planning permission.’

Document ‘Planning Permission – a guide for businesses’ (Crown Copyright 1998) states,

‘You do not necessarily need planning permission to work from home. The key test is whether the overall character of the dwelling will change as a result of the business. If the answer to any of the following questions is ‘yes’, then permission will probably be needed:

- Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
    - Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
    - Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
    - Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?’

If you can explain to planning that none of these are relevant you will not need to apply.

Hth

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for responding. Nice to know it hasn't just happened to me and that you managed to sort it. I did say to them in my email it would be a max of 6 children including my own so was just really unprepared for them saying I would need planning. We are on a main rd but there is off road parking at the back of house so don't think that would be an issue.

Once you spoke to county council did you just forget about planning dept?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah for your help. Will be able to quote from the documents when I contact them again. Just makes me Question even more why planning dept would think i need to apply for permission. Keeping everything crossed that it is resolved quickly but feeling really worried about it.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kah View Post
    Thank you so much for responding. Nice to know it hasn't just happened to me and that you managed to sort it. I did say to them in my email it would be a max of 6 children including my own so was just really unprepared for them saying I would need planning. We are on a main rd but there is off road parking at the back of house so don't think that would be an issue.

Once you spoke to county council did you just forget about planning dept?

Yes, I didn't contact them again and left it at that!