Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cupboard locks

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cupboard locks

Hi,

Can anyone suggest some good cupboard locks please?

I have some Clippasafe ones with the stretchy bit that fits across the cupboard on some of my units in the kitchen but I found they lost their stretchiness and my two can get them undone, so I need some new ones before I start childminding.

Thank you!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I don't use them but here are some ideas.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=112559754911

http://www.maplin.co.uk/door-alarm-31825

I use a door alarm on my Utility room door because the cleaning stuff etc is kept in there but friends use them on the kitchen cupboards.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Rickysmiths, think I might try the magnetic ones and the door alarm might be a good idea too for our utility area.

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Magnetic locks are ace, when I started minding the only ones available were mag locks but I imagine there are a few makes about now...
    The best bit about them is the fact they can be de activated when you're not working
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rainbowmum, good to get a recommendation. Have just ordered one from Amazon to try out before I order in bulk! Just hope they aren't too hard to fit as both me and hubby are pretty dreadful at DIY.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a magnetic one on my undersink cupboard and one on the booze cupboard in the dining room

Depending on who I have I de activate them find them a pain and no child is unsupervised so not really needed all the time.

Warning! Do not shut the door with the 'key' stuck to anything metal and put it in the cupboard That's why I have a spare 'key' hidden in a high cupboard. It even stuck itself to a baking tray and ended up in a (luckily cold) oven with the tin once, I hunted everywhere for it!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use some fromTesco. They look like a big white paper clip and you just loop them through or around your cupboard door handles. I like them because you don't have to screw them on.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Maza and PixiePetal for your advice. Glad you mentioned about the key though as can see me getting into a right pickle otherwise

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I just gate the kitchen then they can't open the cupboards because they can't get in
    Cath

May 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have those silly plastic ones and I hate them. May have to have a look at the magnetic ones.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone post a link to the magnetic ones please.

jun 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post

Are these the one's you want?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B000NUV3V2
    Graham
    Assistant to d' ex boss

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Thanks. It was just whichever ones they were on about further down the thread.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have just bought the Babydan ones from Amazon. Think someone else has already posted a link. Not tried them yet but fingers crossed!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that the price for one? which cupboards/drawers do I need them on? All of them?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that the price for one? which cupboards/drawers do I need them on? All of them?
    When I had a new kitchen two years ago I vowed not to have any locks I have 12 large under counter drawers and 3 cupboards. I don't have a lock on any of them.

I am lucky enough to have a Utility room and I have a Self adhesive Alarm on that door and all my cleaning stuff is kept in there. If I did not I might have a lock on the cupboard under the sink.

I have Risk Assessments and to be honest the minded children are not allowed in the kitchen area unsupervised so there is no need to have locks on everything. I have a kitchen dining area all in one and a double door leads from the dining area to the playroom. The children have free access to the whole area.

Ofsted didn't even question me when they inspected last Sept.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    When I had a new kitchen two years ago I vowed not to have any locks I have 12 large under counter drawers and 3 cupboards. I don't have a lock on any of them.

I am lucky enough to have a Utility room and I have a Self adhesive Alarm on that door and all my cleaning stuff is kept in there. If I did not I might have a lock on the cupboard under the sink.

I have Risk Assessments and to be honest the minded children are not allowed in the kitchen area unsupervised so there is no need to have locks on everything. I have a kitchen dining area all in one and a double door leads from the dining area to the playroom. The children have free access to the whole area.

Ofsted didn't even question me when they inspected last Sept.
    Thanks, this is really helpful. I have a cupboard in my utility room with cleaning stuff in and the utility door is always locked. My kitchen is quite low though as it was put in for my disabled mother so should I maybe have one on the cutlery drawer? There's nothing really in any other drawers etc apart from plates, pans etc. I can't say they would never be in there unsupervised as my kitchen and living room are open plan in a horseshoe kind of shape with no doors between so if I was ever busy with one mindee in the living room another could easily access the kitchen. Obviously I would do everything I could to avoid them being in the kitchen unsupervised.