Planning permission
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning permission

I can't seem to find any info on this. Is planning permission required by ofsted? I can't find any mention of it in any documentation saying it's necessary.

Did you/are you applying for planning permission? Seems a lot of money to pay out for a piece of paper!!!

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll need to check with your local authority whether they require you to have planning permission. In my LA, we were told at the initial childminder briefing that planning may be required to have more than 6 children - ie to work with an assistant - due to the impact on the neighbourhood of additional parents coming and going, noise etc.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Laura says it depends where you live - all local areas have their own rules.

It is not normally needed for up to 6 children - but you should check to make sure.

Hth

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I just found this. I think the only Q that might apply is regarding traffic, but surely it won't make that much of a difference. I've just tried ringing them but no answer grrrrr

Do you need permission Common Projects Working from Home Working from home
    Planning Permission
    You do not necessarily need planning permission to work from home. The key test is whether the overall character of the dwelling will change as a result of the business.

Advertisement

About Planning Portal advertsIf the answer to any of the following questions is 'yes', then permission will probably be needed:

Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
    Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
    Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
    Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously only planning have the definitive answer, but I don't personally think that childminding would cause a 'marked' rise in traffic - not more than would normally occur in a normal residential neighbourhood. I think a marked rise would entail the sort of traffic disturbance you'd get for businesses like corner shops, takeaways etc.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly have no faith that my council know what theyre talking about! i've just spoken to the planning dept, who said no. Am I making alterations to the building? No. So I asked if you need it as a change of use of the building, and then she said 'oh, yes'.

So, I then rang the main council to verify this, and they are saying it isn't necessary. So WHO KNOWS?!!!!!

I think I'm going to leave it for now, and if it comes up later, then I'll just have to deal with it then. And just hope it doesn't delay things! Crazy, that I can't seem to speak to anyone official who knows their job!!!

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoRo163 View Post
    I honestly have no faith that my council know what theyre talking about! i've just spoken to the planning dept, who said no. Am I making alterations to the building? No. So I asked if you need it as a change of use of the building, and then she said 'oh, yes'.

So, I then rang the main council to verify this, and they are saying it isn't necessary. So WHO KNOWS?!!!!!

I think I'm going to leave it for now, and if it comes up later, then I'll just have to deal with it then. And just hope it doesn't delay things! Crazy, that I can't seem to speak to anyone official who knows their job!!!
    I am enquiring about PP at the moment and have been receiving different messages from different parts of the council. Currently awaiting clarification. Like Sarah said for your initial registration, for most councils it isn't necessary. It is when you want to increase your numbers, you may need it. Also if someone complains then they would look at it.