Got the call...had the visit...Feedback!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Got the call...had the visit...Feedback!!!

So had Ofsted/Prospect round today for my pre-reg visit.

I was going to postpone it as I have been so ill this week, but decided to push through and go with it.

Summary - she was really nice, I stressed too much beforehand and probably overprepared (but thats okay as it will help me with my business), they want to help you and you should know your Ofsted booklet and EYFS.

I prepared the following:
    - CV about me with ID and training certificates
    - Policies and Procedures
    - Risk Assessments
    - Sample Menu
    - Typical Day
    - Permission slips parents need to sign
    - Fire Evacuation Plan and Procedure
    - Car Insurance and MOT
    - Letter from Landlord (although she never asked to see it)
    - Ofsted booklet

Safety equipment installed:
    - socket covers
    - blind cord reducers
    - first aid kit

Safety equipment in boxes:
    - stair gates
    - fire guard

I was trying to get all the necessary equipment ready and set up beforehand but she said that I didn’t need to have anything set up until I started minding. I also was only planning to register downstairs only, but then she made a good point that registering the whole house (if it was safe) would make it easier for myself in the long run. Unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to tidy the upstairs to the standards I did the downstairs lol! But she didn’t mind!

She asked me why I wanted to be a childminder and then went through various questions from the Ofsted booklet including questions about safeguarding, behaviour management, dealing with visitors and toddler groups, keeping the children healthy, signs of abuse, uncollected child policy, foods I was feed, what a typical day would be like and the 6 areas (now 7) of learning and development within the EYFS (fortunately I attended my EYFS training the night before so it was fresh in my head!) With some of the questions she gave additional answers so I got the impression that it was not a test as such (she encouraged me to look at my notes) but more of a discussion to see my level of understanding.

We went through my risks assessments that I did on paper and also highlighted a few things when we walked around the house. She also had a brief look at my Policies and Procedures.

She was at mine for around 2.5 hours and at the end said she was happy to recommend me for the maximum numbers!

Now just waiting for hubby’s CRB to come through (got mine on Monday) and then I can get my certificate! Can’t wait to get started.

Thank you to everyone on here for the help and advice given with all my pre-reg questions! Also Sarah’s ebook ‘Registration Advice’ was super helpful!

Time from application submission to receiving call: 7 weeks

p.s. One thing she did say when she rang up to make the appointment was that a lot of people have not been ready for the visits and have subsequently been refused and I should make sure that I have done my training, RA, understood EYFS etc, got first aid kit etc. So be prepared if yours is coming up.

Also I asked about having two under one and she said that I didn’t meet the criteria presently but come September with the revised EYFS framework I would be able to decide what make up of under 8s I would want, ensuring that I stayed within my 6 maximum.

Hope this helps...Good luck to everyone who has theirs coming up soon.

2. Likes bubblysandy liked this post
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this, I have mine on Monday and it is good to know what sort of things they are looking for/ask etc. I'm just about ready, bits and pieces to do and last minute EYFS. Did she want you to know the current one or the new one. I do know the current one but find the new one easier!! xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is brilliant feedback! Thank you for sharing with other members I am sure it will help them.

I am so pleased the e-book was useful

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post

I was going to postpone it as I have been so ill this week, but decided to push through and go with it.

Summary - she was really nice, I stressed too much beforehand and probably overprepared (but thats okay as it will help me with my business), they want to help you and you should know your Ofsted booklet and EYFS.

I prepared the following:
    - CV about me with ID and training certificates
    - Policies and Procedures
    - Risk Assessments
    - Sample Menu
    - Typical Day
    - Permission slips parents need to sign
    - Fire Evacuation Plan and Procedure
    - Car Insurance and MOT
    - Letter from Landlord (although she never asked to see it)
    - Ofsted booklet

Safety equipment installed:
    - socket covers
    - blind cord reducers
    - first aid kit

Safety equipment in boxes:
    - stair gates
    - fire guard

I was trying to get all the necessary equipment ready and set up beforehand but she said that I didn’t need to have anything set up until I started minding. I also was only planning to register downstairs only, but then she made a good point that registering the whole house (if it was safe) would make it easier for myself in the long run. Unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to tidy the upstairs to the standards I did the downstairs lol! But she didn’t mind!

She asked me why I wanted to be a childminder and then went through various questions from the Ofsted booklet including questions about safeguarding, behaviour management, dealing with visitors and toddler groups, keeping the children healthy, signs of abuse, uncollected child policy, foods I was feed, what a typical day would be like and the 6 areas (now 7) of learning and development within the EYFS (fortunately I attended my EYFS training the night before so it was fresh in my head!) With some of the questions she gave additional answers so I got the impression that it was not a test as such (she encouraged me to look at my notes) but more of a discussion to see my level of understanding.

We went through my risks assessments that I did on paper and also highlighted a few things when we walked around the house. She also had a brief look at my Policies and Procedures.

She was at mine for around 2.5 hours and at the end said she was happy to recommend me for the maximum numbers!

Now just waiting for hubby’s CRB to come through (got mine on Monday) and then I can get my certificate! Can’t wait to get started.

Thank you to everyone on here for the help and advice given with all my pre-reg questions! Also Sarah’s ebook ‘Registration Advice’ was super helpful!

Time from application submission to receiving call: 7 weeks

p.s. One thing she did say when she rang up to make the appointment was that a lot of people have not been ready for the visits and have subsequently been refused and I should make sure that I have done my training, RA, understood EYFS etc, got first aid kit etc. So be prepared if yours is coming up.

Also I asked about having two under one and she said that I didn’t meet the criteria presently but come September with the revised EYFS framework I would be able to decide what make up of under 8s I would want, ensuring that I stayed within my 6 maximum.

Hope this helps...Good luck to everyone who has theirs coming up soon.
    well done. good luck for the future.

i am still intrigued by this ... so, if i think i can manage 6 under 5, i could have them????!!! ( i wouldn't, i'm not that mad! )

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EYFS - 2008 0R 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaka View Post
    Thanks for this, I have mine on Monday and it is good to know what sort of things they are looking for/ask etc. I'm just about ready, bits and pieces to do and last minute EYFS. Did she want you to know the current one or the new one. I do know the current one but find the new one easier!! xx
    She asked me about the 2008 EYFS but mentioned about 2012 as well and where there were differences/changes. I had looked at both and prefered 2012 as it is easier to remember, but the focus was on 2008.

She also said that because my first grading inspection would be 6 months from now, so October ish, I will be inspected against the new framework so should start working with the new one in terms of paperwork, assessments, SEF etc from now, rather than 2008.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure lots of people will love this feedback
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    well done. good luck for the future.

i am still intrigued by this ... so, if i think i can manage 6 under 5, i could have them????!!! ( i wouldn't, i'm not that mad! )
    Not sure on this one - I don't think that is actually what the revised framework says but definitely the way some cm's and now it seems, some Ofsted inspectors are interpreting it!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

I never knew they visited on a Saturday.

Glad it went well for you

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Not sure on this one - I don't think that is actually what the revised framework says but definitely the way some cm's and now it seems, some Ofsted inspectors are interpreting it!

Miffy xx
    Just wondering what would happen if you did interpret it how you thought you could and then Ofsted turned up for an inspection and went berserk cos you had 5 3 year olds with you!? This DEFINTItELY needs clarifying!!!!!

jen x

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I never knew they visited on a Saturday.

Glad it went well for you

Miffy xx
    Sorry that should say Friday. I started writing my thread yesterday!

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She asked me about the 2008 EYFS but mentioned about 2012 as well and where there were differences/changes. I had looked at both and prefered 2012 as it is easier to remember, but the focus was on 2008.

She also said that because my first grading inspection would be 6 months from now, so October ish, I will be inspected against the new framework so should start working with the new one in terms of paperwork, assessments, SEF etc from now, rather than 2008.
    Thank you, that really helps! Trust me to be doing it when we have to know both...as if one isn't enough xx

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for that Valencia great help as I have my pre reg tomorrow so have been touching up and sorting out my stuff, had forgot to print off my risk assessments till I read your post.

Thank you

Angela

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beaka View Post
    Thank you, that really helps! Trust me to be doing it when we have to know both...as if one isn't enough xx
    My feelings exactly but when I brought it up in my training I have been advised not to look at the new one until I get my training later in the year, but as you say, with just starting out I have to take everything in from the 2008 to later change it to the new , never mind.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What great feedback Valencia , Im sure it will be incredibly helpful to others awaiting their prereg inspection.

can I just suggest you look in free downloads for information regarding the use of socket covers - not only are they not a requirement , they can actually be dangerous.

16. Likes teacakepenguin liked this post
    11/2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pre-reg questions

Hi, i am due a pre-reg inspection soon, one of the questions on the 'preparing for your inspection booklet' asks you to give an example for each of the seven areas of learning, a play activity for very a young child and a child of 4 years old, that will support their learning and development. what i would like help with is, do the require a planned activity for each area for each child e.g 14 planned activities. of can you plan activities which cover a number of the learning outcomes in each ??
    thanks for any help

Diane