Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Environmental Health Visit

I was advised at my childminding training to register with the Environmental Health. They are going to come out and visit my setting. What sort of things are they looking at? Does your home have to be spotless? Worried now!

BucksCM Guest

I my area, once you've rung them to let them know what you're doing, they send out a form. Ours is quite a comprehensive form (but still ok to fill out). Once they have received it and gone through it they decide if you are low, med, or high risk. You are considered high if you prepare raw meats etc but because you're a childminder , they may or may not come out immediately(depends on how well you filled out the form!) but they do come out every 3 years or so here.
    Yes, the kitchen does have to be clean and i would advise doing a food hygiene course(there's one advertised through this forum)
    They ask the basic stuff, fridge temps, storage of raw/cooked meats, how you prepare a meal (include knife chandes/washing hands/chopping boards), how you reheat food..... My one also checked that my fridge was the right temp. with a probe.
    They know that you are a home, preparing a few extra meals a week...not a restaurant...so there is no need to worry about it.
    There is a pack...Safer Food, Better Business for Childminders...not sure if this is available all over or just in Bucks, but once you register, you should get it(if it is!)

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link for the pack. You can download it but if you ring them they will send you the folder free. It only takes a few days to come. The pack is for all childminders.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/...bchildminders/