can you use any car for childminding??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default can you use any car for childminding??

Can anyone help me? We were hoping to get a 7 seater car for Childminding but someone said there are rules on which car you can use? Does anyone know if this is true and if so what are they? Also do you just get your insurance like normal but get business use included? Any help would be great- also anyone recommend a 7 seater? We don't want to spend too much but want it to be a good investment! Thank you for any help. Xx

Apr 02
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know any car that is roadworthy - taxed, insured etc. We have a toyota corolla verso and absolutely love it - though I know it is maybe one of the more expensive cars but definitely a good investment. Any time my mechanic does a service he raves about how good a car it is!
    When i started childminding i rang my insurance company and they just added on business to my policy. I think i only paid an extra 10/15 pounds. It was more to do with the fact that I had to make sure they knew.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As above. I have never heard of any restrictions on what make or type of car you use.

I think if you go over something like 8 seats it is classed as a Mini Bus and so different rules apply then. You can use them but it is different insurance and I think you may have to take an extra test depending on when you passed your driving licence. You would also pay higher car tax.

may 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

i would think you can use any car you like as long as it's roadworthy, and i have my insurance through morton michel because i think when your childminding business use is not enough your insurance must state it is for childcare use i think morton michel are one of the only companies that does this.

hope this helps x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleones123 View Post
    i would think you can use any car you like as long as it's roadworthy, and i have my insurance through morton michel because i think when your childminding business use is not enough your insurance must state it is for childcare use i think morton michel are one of the only companies that does this.

hope this helps x
    Lots of Companies offer cover for childminders. I was with Churchill for years and when they hiked their prices I went to MM last year and then they hiked their price on renewal so I am now with Tesco. There are Minders on here who use Direct Line, Shellas Wheels, etc etc.

I have been a childminder for 18 years and have used MM for one and only left them because of the price hike. i was with NCMA Motor Minder for a year and was treated so badly that I would never ever go back to them again.

I know NCMA Blu Fin as they are now are still telling Minders that they are the only company that offers the proper cover but this is not true a\nd they were told off a few years ago for frightening potential customers and it would seem they are at it again. Dreadful behaviour.

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your help, that is a relief. The guy in the Ford garage was trying to tell me I couldn't use a car with seats in the back- it would have to be the Ford galaxy with the proper seats throughout? I assume if I did get one with seats in the boot I just couldn't use a car seat for those seats? And may be not boosters? It's a lot to think about! Will have to start researching all the different 7 seaters!!

Apr 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Amoire - my toyota corolla verso has two seats in very back which collapse easily into boot. But I have used with both booster seats with back and with baby seat with absolutely no problems. They have proper seat belts and i cant see any problem. The only problems is lack of leg room in these seats - but for wee ones that isnt an issue! - they just arent much use for adults on a long journey.

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Ooh thank you, I just looked up the Toyota corolla versa and it looks great! Perfect for what I want- just for a comparison does anyone know of any other 7 seaters that are good? This is all a great help thank you!!

may 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I have a Mazda MPV which is the older version of the Mazda 5. I love it and find it very versatile. There is plenty of boot space when all 7 seats are being used, and the sliding doors are great. The only down side is the middle seat only has a lap belt. Its not too bad on fuel consumption (its a diesel), and drives really well.
    Hope this helps,

Lynn x