Starting childminding!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting childminding!

Hi I currently live in South Lanarkshire and I'm doing my SVQ III in CCLD at a local nursery, i have been there for over 2 years and I'm considering becoming a childminder, i have gathered all of the resources i think i need to start up and i've read all of the scma leaflets etc i just need to pluck up the courage to register, i have a few concerns about finances and about the possibility of feeling isolated without work mates, just looking for a bit of advice and reassurance if anyone has some?

Thanks Lee xx

notts Guest

Hi there,

I took the leap recently, should have my certificate any day now I too was feeling slightly anxious about becoming isolated but I've soon met some other childmindy friends on the courses and mentioning at toddler groups etc where I go of my plans, it's surprising how included you soon feel. Good luck whatever you decide

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting out too

Hi, I have been thinking of childminding for a few years and have finally taken the plunge to do it. I start the pre-reg course at the end of the month but am hoping to child mind part time at first as like you, I am worried about making ends meet. Good luck making your decision

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Finances will always come into it in this job. I worked part time when i first started and then when built up more mindees i left my job to CM full time.

Mindees come and go though from what others say so so do your pennies.
    Put money away when you have a bit more to help you through the quieter times.

I have heard some people on here say the minders in their area are in their wee "cliques" (sp?) and others who get on fab with others.
    I dont hang out with other CM where i am, i know who they are but ive never come across them. I like working away myself. Talk to people/teachers at preschool/school/park/library etc
    XX Jill XX