Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: visitors book

Registered Childminder since
    jan 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default visitors book

Its me again, sorry everyone, just a quick one, i'm just getting my visitors book together and i have a section for 1. date/time 2. visitors name 3. reason for visit 4. any other details of visit. do i need to to have a section about weather they saw/had contact with the children?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You know you don't have to have a vistors book.

I have been minding for 18 years and have never had one. I know who is in my own home at all times and if I have a visitor who is not another minder the children are never left alone with the visitor so there is no problem the children are safe at all times.

Ofsted have never commented, and nor should they because it is not a requirement that we have one.

I'm not sure how this idea was ever put forward for cms or for what reason.

I have always been Inspected as good and the last 2 Inspections with Outstanding in keeping the children safe.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A friend had an action recently for not getting the inspector to sign in... so some inspectors do want to see a visitor book.

However as Rickysmiths says it is not a requirement.

You can record the information in your daily record book if you prefer

Post Thanks / Like

My visitor record has date of visit/ name of visitor/ contact number/ reason for visit/ arrival time/ departure time.

Rickysmiths is correct, a visitor record is not a legal requirement but some see it as good practice.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I record time, date, reason for visit etc also add no contact with children were appropriate.

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    A friend had an action recently for not getting the inspector to sign in... so some inspectors do want to see a visitor book.

how did she get an action if its not a requirement then? did she not complain to ofsted??

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysright View Post
    how did she get an action if its not a requirement then? did she not complain to ofsted??
    I would be interested to know this too

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She can not get an action on something that is not a requirement. I would have challenged that as factually incorrect.

Through 4 Ofsted Inspections I have never been asked for one or has it ever been commented on that I don't have one. If it had been I would have asked for whom and why they thought I needed one.

Having one makes it feel as if we cms have hoards of visitors we don't know and that is not the case. I am not an institution who has a number of staff and visitors who may not be know or their presence be known to the staff in the building, therefore a visitors signing in book is required especially in case of an emergency evacuation. You need to know how many and who may be in the building.

It is not needed for a cm because you know who is with you and in your home at all times and you never leave them with a mindee. I honestly don't even see how it can be regarded to be good practice to be honest because there is just no need for it. It is a meaningless piece of paperwork.

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    She can not get an action on something that is not a requirement. I would have challenged that as factually incorrect.

Through 4 Ofsted Inspections I have never been asked for one or has it ever been commented on that I don't have one. If it had been I would have asked for whom and why they thought I needed one.

Having one makes it feel as if we cms have hoards of visitors we don't know and that is not the case. I am not an institution who has a number of staff and visitors who may not be know or their presence be known to the staff in the building, therefore a visitors signing in book is required especially in case of an emergency evacuation. You need to know how many and who may be in the building.

It is not needed for a cm because you know who is with you and in your home at all times and you never leave them with a mindee. I honestly don't even see how it can be regarded to be good practice to be honest because there is just no need for it. It is a meaningless piece of paperwork.
    i agree with this!! think its a complete waste of time, i have very few visitors during the day as my family and friends avoid the house then as they know its full of kids

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a visitors book either. It's my home and I will decide who comes in at what time. I work with my husband and this is our business so we are not going to let anyone in are we?

I can see it's good practice but the book would be full the amount of times my Mum pops round to see my daughter!!!

June 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I was recently visited by our Childminding Network coordinator who asked to sign in in my visitors book, when I told her I didn't have one she told me that it was now an Ofsted requirement and I have to get one asap. I just printed a sheet out from the internet but it seems there are different opinions on whether this is actually a requirement or not or just deemed as good practice.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake mummy View Post
    I was recently visited by our Childminding Network coordinator who asked to sign in in my visitors book, when I told her I didn't have one she told me that it was now an Ofsted requirement and I have to get one asap. I just printed a sheet out from the internet but it seems there are different opinions on whether this is actually a requirement or not or just deemed as good practice.
    It is not a statutory requirement of the Eyfs now or the Eyfs revised to have a visitors book.

It is good practice to note the arrival and departure of visitors - you can use a book, a sheet or your diary.

Hth

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm recently registered. It was a requirement that I had a visitors book in order to become registered.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greenfields View Post
    I'm recently registered. It was a requirement that I had a visitors book in order to become registered.
    Who told you it was a requirement greenfields?

Because I know the Eyfs (old one and new one) backwards as do a lot of people on this forum...

And it's not!

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Who told you it was a requirement greenfields?

Because I know the Eyfs (old one and new one) backwards as do a lot of people on this forum...

And it's not!
    I'm in Wales so it's the Foundation Phase for me. An inspector from CSSIW stated it was a requirement. I have no problems with having one so I didn't question it, just got it done to get registered ASAP. So what regulations/document she was referring to, I don't know.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm in Wales so it's the Foundation Phase for me. An inspector from CSSIW stated it was a requirement. I have no problems with having one so I didn't question it, just got it done to get registered ASAP. So what regulations/document she was referring to, I don't know.
    Ahhhhhh! That makes sense now!

Yes it's a requirement (24.5) on the WELSH standards... not the Eyfs in England

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhhh! That makes sense now!

Yes it's a requirement (24.5) on the WELSH standards... not the Eyfs in England
    We can sleep easy tonight now that one's solved.

So those producing visitor books, target Wales!
    (Yes I know you can make your own but they are so cheap on eBay!)

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the template on this site.
    http://www.freechildmindingresources...ecord_Book.htm

its free!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

We can sleep easy tonight now that one's solved.

So those producing visitor books, target Wales!
    (Yes I know you can make your own but they are so cheap on eBay!)
    It doesn't stipulate it has to be a visitors book though. I would argue that I am complying with the standards by making a note of vistors in my daily diary

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    It doesn't stipulate it has to be a visitors book though. I would argue that I am complying with the standards by making a note of vistors in my daily diary
    Yes, I get that completely. But for a fiver I'm happy to have the visitors book. A record of visitors in one place suits me nicely.