Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mindee speaking my home language

Mindee B who is 3 years old (full time since September 2010) has suddenly shown an interest in my home language as I speak to my own two children in Greek every day.

After going home yesterday with mum he started asking what objects around the home are in Greek! As you can imagine mum was bemused by this. I have been doing this for my two as they attend Greek school on the weekend and sit down to do their homework twice a week whilst mindee is around.

He is very articulate for his age, enjoys singing nursery rhymes and pop songs. Amazingly picks up lyrics and tunes from songs after listening a couple of times. Having spent this morning thinking about it, he has been copying me on occasions recently.

I have no idea what to do about this as I have other mindees at the same time as him and I speak English to them. This morning, as soon as he arrived said good morning in Greek and started asking me to name things around the house. About an hour later, he pointed to the same objects and repeated word perfect in Greek. I then asked him to get his shoes and coat on in Greek and he did it! So he has been absorbing the language all this time but not showing it in anyway.

Interestingly Mindee A who is 4 year old (full time since January 2010) and has Spanish/English spoken at home as shown no interest in another language.

I would appreciate some advice on what to do about this please!

Nina

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure what you want to do about it.

think its fab that he is learning a new language and it sounds like the child is a sponge.

As long as mum has no problems with it then carry on doing what you are doing
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Carry on as you are, I've had a couple of parents ask if I'd teach their children my language lol!!

Pipsqueak Guest

how fantastic.

what to do - ask mum if she is happy for him to learn Greek? (I would love it if my kids got this type of input)

and carry on - you are obviously doing something wonderful and right

what smashing EYFS evidence

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I think that's great!

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

How great, there like sponges at that age, having a second language is so useful as well. I wish I could pick up languages easily, my brain just doesn't get it. X

Oct 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with mum it's ok and then just carry on as you are. This age is the best time to learn another language, it's amazing what they can cope with,

I have a lo who's mum is French, his dad is German. When he is with her she speaks french to him same with dad, he speaks german to him, when they are all together they speak English as this is their common language. He is 19 months and talking very well for his age, sentences come out in a complete muddle sometimes but luckily I speak basic French and German and keep dictionaries to hand if I get stuck

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

how wonderful.

i wish i could speak greek!

when my DS was little, we used to spend alot of time with a friend and her little boy, and her MIL was russian and spoke no english ( except if you asked her if she wanted tea, she would nod and say yes ) Ds would come out with russian phrases and we went to the moscow state circus and as the ringmaster/acts spoke in russian and someone translated, DS told us quicker, pretty much what they were saying !

sadly, he's lost it now, as friend now has EX mil !!!

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

How wonderful, keep doing what you're doing
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Post Thanks / Like

That's brilliant, just carry on as you are.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

onceinabluemoon Guest

How fab for him.

You can't really stop him from learning it if he's picking it up from you. I would just keep on going on as you are whilst he's interested.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a (just) one year old - mum is Slovakian, Dad is Italian and she is with me 5 days a week so is currently learning 3 languages. I can't wait to find out what her first word will be. I think its fab if children have the chance to learn more than one language and wish my own had had the opportunity.

Penny1959 Guest

As long as mum is ok with it - carry on - mum might need some help translating but children soon work out who speaks which language.

I look after 2 bi lingual children - 1 Polish / English and 1 Romanian / English - bot children speak English to me, both speak English to parents when in my setting, and their home langauge at home. Both are 2.

I think it is great - I wish I could speak another language.

Penny

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your lovely comments.

I will have a chat with mum on Monday and see how she feels about it. I have made flashcards for my two kids so I will use them with the mindee and see where that takes us.

Nina