What would you do in this situation?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would you do in this situation?

I charge 100% fees when mindee is off and nothing when I'm off...

Mindee comes for a full day but I want to take the afternoon off... Her parents say that's too complicated for them so they'll just take the whole day off work and she won't come at all.

Would you charge for the morning or not (because I'm happy to have her in the morning and will have another mindee that day so will be working anyway)

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't charge at all because the only reason mindee is staying off is because you want the afternoon off.

may10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
    I charge 100% fees when mindee is off and nothing when I'm off...

Mindee comes for a full day but I want to take the afternoon off... Her parents say that's too complicated for them so they'll just take the whole day off work and she won't come at all.

Would you charge for the morning or not (because I'm happy to have her in the morning and will have another mindee that day so will be working anyway)
    personally I wouldent charge them at all hun as they are only not beinging her because your not available all day

HTH

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellib View Post
    I wouldn't charge at all because the only reason mindee is staying off is because you want the afternoon off.
    Thanks. That's the way I feel but I don't have a very good business head so I wanted to check!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge for the morning as usual. You are open and they are choosing not to send.

xxx

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I would charge them for the hours I would be available.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twinkletime View Post
    I would charge them for the hours I would be available.
    I dont think you can charge as you are changing the contracted hours. Nowhere does it say that parent must be able to drop them to you at any time you demand during the working day.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't charge, they're taking the day off to accommodate your request.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i wouldnt charge neither
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellib View Post
    i agree with this hon. Either they'll have to pay for another days care with someone or they'll probably need to take the day off. if they commute your half day plus commute time might eat into the other half of their workday so their workplace will make them take a full day. also some workplaces do not allow a half day.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a difficult one. I recently had to take my son to A&E after an accident at school so I variously sent children home early or the afternoon ones I didn't have them at all. I refunded the half day(ish) I was unavailable to those who left early as that seemed a reasonable thing to do at the time. Isn't this is sort of similar except that the parents have notice? Or would you say I should have refunded the whole day even if I had already worked five or six hours?

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mummits View Post
    That's a difficult one. I recently had to take my son to A&E after an accident at school so I variously sent children home early or the afternoon ones I didn't have them at all. I refunded the half day(ish) I was unavailable to those who left early as that seemed a reasonable thing to do at the time. Isn't this is sort of similar except that the parents have notice? Or would you say I should have refunded the whole day even if I had already worked five or six hours?
    I think your situation is different Mummits as that was an accident out of your control, and I would have done the same as you.

However in buzzy bee's sit. I would not charge as it is myself who has changed the arrangement. I don't mind a bit of give and take as long as it is reciprocated!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't charge as you are the one wanting the afternoon off. I know technically you are available in the morning but it still means parents having to make other arrangements for the afternoon or take half a day's holiday. It might just be easier to have the whole day off or get grannie etc to have lo for the day rather than have to worry about getting them picked up at lunchtime!!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mummits View Post
    no that is totally different as you sent home during the day, they didn't have to take the whole day off, just leave to collect early
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. It seems like the majority of you wouldn't charge which confirms my feelings, so I'm pleased