Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default parent off sick, advice needed please

Hi I'm not sure if this has been asked before but how do you manage this please? My biggest earning mindees mum has been signed off work for at least 6 weeks, having already had 2 weeks off, and she is keeping LO at home. My current policy is that any absences incurr half fees, obviously this is going to dramatically affect my income as all my others mindees are part-time. There is nothing in my contracts which offers any solutions, has anyone had any experience and can give me advice please?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's tricky because if you have it in your contract that it's half fees if the child is off, then that's what you will have to charge. Do you have anything on contracts or policies that state it is for a maximum number of weeks?

I have it in my contracts that it is full fee if mindees are off and that covers for situations like this.

I would have a word with mum and explain that you cannot afford to have mindee on half fee for all that time. Suggest that you either limit it to 4 weeks a year at half fee, or explain that you will have to look to fill the space with another child. Give her the option of either paying full fee or risk losing the space.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from mouse,
    I would talk to parent and explain but mum may be on sick pay and might not get her full wage so won't be willing to pay full fees.
    I charge full fees to cover me in these situations.

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i definitely think I will have to review my fees policy, but I feel a bit mean doing it when she's sick, do you think it would be fair to redo it after the 6 weeks, so she's been notified that my policy will be changing? I'm not sure if she even is entitled to sick pay

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll have to wait until she's back to work, then give four weeks notice that you're going to change your policy. I don't think it's fair to do it while she's on sick leave, but neither do I think it's unreasonable to ask her if she would agree to the change now as you cannot manage on half fee for the extended time.

Explain how your policy didn't take into account a child being off long term and how that's prompted you to have a rethink.

~Chelle~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It's tricky because if you have it in your contract that it's half fees if the child is off, then that's what you will have to charge. Do you have anything on contracts or policies that state it is for a maximum number of weeks?

I have it in my contracts that it is full fee if mindees are off and that covers for situations like this.

I would have a word with mum and explain that you cannot afford to have mindee on half fee for all that time. Suggest that you either limit it to 4 weeks a year at half fee, or explain that you will have to look to fill the space with another child. Give her the option of either paying full fee or risk losing the space.
    Great advice

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for all the good advice I need to be fair to her but realistic to mexxx