Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pouncing an holding on to toys

At the moment if a child wants somthing child A has I tell them to wait untii A has finished, this results in child B pouncing on the toy as soon as A puts it down but A could be putting the toy car down to get some bricks out to build a garage for his car (example) so of course A then gets upset, I have tried getting them to ask if the other child has finished playing with a toy before they get it but then child B says no every time even tho she has clearly finished with because she knows someone else wants to play with it, how can I help child B not to pounce on toys she knows other children are playing with an not to hold on to toys that others want? She's 4yrs at the end of this month

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably at 4 mindee is old enough to understand to wait until the toy becomes available. If it is a particular toy most of the time that they both want could you get another one like it?
    My mindees often seem to want what someone else is playing with and then they forget about it and want the next toy - it goes on all day sometimes!

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I get this with siblings and I'm not buying double the amount of toys either
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

How about getting an egg timer so that they can both see how long A has to play with the toy... then B can have it for the same amount of time etc.

I've thought about this because one of my mindees will just hold onto a toy all day which isn't really fair.

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

This is quite common with young children who think that as soon as something is put down it is finished with, l usually explain to child B that child A hasn't finished and has only gone to the toilet or to get bag, bricks etc to use as well, l then explain to child A that Child B is waiting to play and could they please give it to other child as soon as they have finished.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I get mindees to ask a different question (when will you be finished / when can i have a turn?). We then have 1,2,3,5&10 minute sand timers which the children use to measure the time.

Also when I only have one of the most sort after toys and they are not sharing, I do encourage them to take turns, usually 10 minutes each.

My mindees are 3 and 4.