Are Ofsted Ok with changing children on the floor?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are Ofsted Ok with changing children on the floor?

Just checking. I lay out a changing mat and do the job on the floor - clean it after with a miltons wipe.
    Is this acceptable to Mrs O or do they expect us to do it on a raised surface or table? I find it safer this way with multiple children around.

cheers
    ja
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

The floor is the safest place....a baby can't fall off the floor like they can a changing table! I'd be surprised if ofsted had a problem with it to be honest.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fine and can been seen as safer as child can not roll/fall off table. I do mine on floor, no problem with ofsted.

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mine on the floor. Safest way for me. Ofsted didn't even comment on it. I think it's more about your hygienic routine that goes with the nappy change than the actual 'where' you change, I.e on raised surface or floor.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think its far safer on the floor
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my inspection last month and i changed a child on the floor in front of the inspector and nothing was said.
    love Sarah.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted asked about me changing nappies, I said I used a mat on the floor.

She then said "What hygiene measure do you take? You use gloves?" I said no and her face look quite dissapproving then she asked why. So I explained that I change a nappy, bag it up and throw it in the outside bin. I have a down stairs loo right next to the front door. I go in there wash my hands, use sanitiser gel and then spray the door handle with dettol anti bac spray! I said it quite firmly and her response was "Oh good, good"... Yeah too right lady lol

Feb 11
    Non childminder member
    Little Learners
    Post Thanks / Like

On the floor, Mrs O was fine with it.

may 84
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I changed baby on the floor, out of sight of Mrs O for privacy, gloves on and she wrote on my report 'follows good nappy changing practice'.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Ofsted asked about me changing nappies, I said I used a mat on the floor.

She then said "What hygiene measure do you take? You use gloves?" I said no and her face look quite dissapproving then she asked why. So I explained that I change a nappy, bag it up and throw it in the outside bin. I have a down stairs loo right next to the front door. I go in there wash my hands, use sanitiser gel and then spray the door handle with dettol anti bac spray! I said it quite firmly and her response was "Oh good, good"... Yeah too right lady lol
    Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and more environmentally friendly just to use one glove and soap and water to wash your hands?

I don't use and never have used antibac spray anywhere in my house. I use hot soapy water

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never changed nappies on the floor except in an emergency. To get up and down countless times a day would kill my knees and back.

I used the top of a chest of drawers when mine were babies and when I started minding. Now I have a vinyl cloth across the end of my dining table with the changing mat on top. I have all the nappies etc at had and use a sanitex nappy dispenser bin. I haven't lost a child yet, it saves my back and Mrs O loved it.

At the end of the day it is all washed down, the cloth is wiped and it is all put away.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always changed babies on the floor, including my own. It's the safest place as they can't roll off anything. Can't think why Mrs O would have a problem with it.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!