Holiday and Afterschool Clubs - Are you worried?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Holiday and Afterschool Clubs - Are you worried?

Recently in the largest town/large village to me, someone set up a "wraparound club", having a breakfast, tea time, and holiday club, all connected with the local schools. They have now registered and are providing a pick-up service from the local pre-school (who only do mornings) and afternoon pre-school sessions (funded sessions at that). During the school holidays they have a club that runs 8am-6pm. They are advertising that they are now taking children as young as 2. For the afterschool club, they pick up from the school and they are charging £8.50, from 3pm - 6pm. For the holiday club for the full day they charge £18. They are fully registered, had a good OFSTED report and quite frankly are really good.

Then today I had a leaflet from my daughters school offering sports clubs throughout the half term for £10 per day 9-4. Starting age is 4!!

I know its all down to competition, but I really can't even begin to lower my costs, I haven't put my fee's up in 2 years and have no idea how they do it.

If I continue to be as quiet as I am, I will asking them for a job.

Anyone else have a similar situation?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    Recently in the largest town/large village to me, someone set up a "wraparound club", having a breakfast, tea time, and holiday club, all connected with the local schools. They have now registered and are providing a pick-up service from the local pre-school (who only do mornings) and afternoon pre-school sessions (funded sessions at that). During the school holidays they have a club that runs 8am-6pm. They are advertising that they are now taking children as young as 2. For the afterschool club, they pick up from the school and they are charging £8.50, from 3pm - 6pm. For the holiday club for the full day they charge £18. They are fully registered, had a good OFSTED report and quite frankly are really good.

Then today I had a leaflet from my daughters school offering sports clubs throughout the half term for £10 per day 9-4. Starting age is 4!!

I know its all down to competition, but I really can't even begin to lower my costs, I haven't put my fee's up in 2 years and have no idea how they do it.

If I continue to be as quiet as I am, I will asking them for a job.

Anyone else have a similar situation?
    I haven't started yet so maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but think about it this way...

Even though Asda exists, why do people go to Sainbury's or Waitrose even??? They're better. Some people don't want the cheap option, they want quality. I know you said that they got a good ofsted report but they are still dealing with a lot of kids and you can only have a small number which means kids get more one to one care. You can do things the afterschool clubs can't; focus on quality time rather than just watching the kids to make sure they don't hurt themselves (which you already do). Maybe you just need to make this known through your marketing efforts; website, brochure, offer to the parents you have to give them a month of half fees if they refer someone to you who signs (yes half fees for a month will be tough but then you have another mindee that you didn't have.)

That said, I AM nervous because all I'm hoping to do is the before and after schoolies. If all that stuff doesn't pan out, I'll be stuck too

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i can't begin to compete with the price of ours but luckily haven't had to. in fact many quieter children are often pulled out with parents looking for minders because of the huge agespan (4-11) and it's quite rowdy.

I believe due to subsidies being pulled that ours might close which woudl be sad as lots of parents use it and it does provide very affordable care that I can't offer
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have just started upand there is a lot of competition in my area, my local school at the end of my street, has wrap around care and holiday care and i cannot compete with the prices becasue they are probably subsidised but then i feel my service is better, they dont go on outings, the wrap around meals are basic, and I feel for very young children there will be parents that think like me and would rather there children got care suited to them.

You have to remember there will be parents that dont like what they have to offer and may prefer your service

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Our local after school club has the monoploy on the three local schools, they are so cheap there's no way i could compete. I have had 1 after schoolie in the almost 3 years I've minded, I do occasionally get an enquiry for a schoolie, but i always get a message after saying ' thanks but we've managed to get x into the after school club'

what makes me sooooo angry tho is that when new parents have a meeting at school, the after school club sends a rep round to sit in and hand out leaflets after!!!!!!!!!
    Marnie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It's very rare that childminders get before and after schoolies now that the clubs are open in our village - especially for the older ones.

I haven't lost lo's that I've minded since they were babies but haven't had any enquiries for older children at all for a couple of years at least.

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

The school I pick up from runs an after-school/breakfast club and it is really busy ........ so busy that they cannot take anymore children and will not take part-time children (ie 2 afternoons a week etc).
    I'm always being asked if I have spaces for after-schoolies (I prefer having only EYFS children) or whether I know a childminder who has spaces.

The holiday club offers care for £20 per day so I am offering the same although I would prefer not to work in the school hols anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gen79 View Post
    I haven't started yet so maybe I don't have a clue what I'm talking about but think about it this way...

Even though Asda exists, why do people go to Sainbury's or Waitrose even??? They're better. Some people don't want the cheap option, they want quality. I know you said that they got a good ofsted report but they are still dealing with a lot of kids and you can only have a small number which means kids get more one to one care. You can do things the afterschool clubs can't; focus on quality time rather than just watching the kids to make sure they don't hurt themselves (which you already do). Maybe you just need to make this known through your marketing efforts; website, brochure, offer to the parents you have to give them a month of half fees if they refer someone to you who signs (yes half fees for a month will be tough but then you have another mindee that you didn't have.)

That said, I AM nervous because all I'm hoping to do is the before and after schoolies. If all that stuff doesn't pan out, I'll be stuck too
    I fully understand your point of view, but with 2 outstanding grades behind me I KNOW I offer excellent childcare, but still money is a big issue with many families. (although I know 2 of my parents pay a cleaner £10 per hour hmm maybe a change of career is needed).

I'm personally not too worried about the afterschoolies, I am happy for them to go to clubs where their friends are, and they can run off the excess energy in a more suitable environment. It's more the fact that they are starting to poach even the younger ones from 2. Many parents are now having a year off, so its not leaving much room for me. I have just gone through the accredditation process so not to loose 3 children to other pre-schools etc, especially in the knowledge they would probably start to use the holiday clubs instead of me for the 3/4 year olds.

I suppose that is market forces for you. I now know how the local butcher feels, when Tesco's moves in up the road.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think we have any clubs near here that take children as young as 2. There are a lot of after school clubs and i'm happy for children to go there as I dont enjoy school runs. I do get quite a few parents asking if I will pick their child up at 6 from the club as they don't get off their train in time. I just reply no but I would have your child from 3.30 if you like.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    I fully understand your point of view, but with 2 outstanding grades behind me I KNOW I offer excellent childcare, but still money is a big issue with many families. (although I know 2 of my parents pay a cleaner £10 per hour hmm maybe a change of career is needed).

I'm personally not too worried about the afterschoolies, I am happy for them to go to clubs where their friends are, and they can run off the excess energy in a more suitable environment. It's more the fact that they are starting to poach even the younger ones from 2. Many parents are now having a year off, so its not leaving much room for me. I have just gone through the accredditation process so not to loose 3 children to other pre-schools etc, especially in the knowledge they would probably start to use the holiday clubs instead of me for the 3/4 year olds.

I suppose that is market forces for you. I now know how the local butcher feels, when Tesco's moves in up the road.
    Exactly. I hear you though, it's bad enough they've got the schoolies, never mind from 2! I would say more aggressive marketing might be in order. You've got outstanding and accreditation, you just need the right people to know about it!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnieb View Post
    Our local after school club has the monoploy on the three local schools, they are so cheap there's no way i could compete. I have had 1 after schoolie in the almost 3 years I've minded, I do occasionally get an enquiry for a schoolie, but i always get a message after saying ' thanks but we've managed to get x into the after school club'

what makes me sooooo angry tho is that when new parents have a meeting at school, the after school club sends a rep round to sit in and hand out leaflets after!!!!!!!!!
    We can do that too can't we? That's a great idea!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There are 3 nurseries that do an after/before school pick up at the school I go to. All are cheaper than me but a lot of children dont like them. Ive spoke to numerous parents whose children dont like the huge room full of children aged 4 upwards running about. They have been at school all day and want to relax with smaller groups of children. All the children who come to me who have tried the club agree they like coming to mine more.

Im never short of after schoolies and another childminder up the road who only looks after older children is never short of children on her school walk

As for taking them from 2yrs thats basically what the 3 school clubs do here as they are nurseries in the daytime.....ggrrrrr

We have so many nurseries in my town (probably 7)

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I do think that after school/ holiday clubs do have there place especially for the older children, not all children would like these clubs (my ds being one of them as he's not into sports at all and he's so shy I don't think he'd go) but for lots of children they are the right choice.
    As a cm if you gave 3 or maybe more if you have an assistant under 5 I think trying to then accommodate say 5 or maybe more again depending on circumstances school age children especially the 8+ ones is a real challenge especially if you don't have a big house/garden, I'm not knocking cm who do this but I can see the benefit of several older children wanting the holiday club option over going to a cm with lots of little ones.
    We can't compete with there prices but cm will always have a valuable place in the childcare sector. X

Post Thanks / Like

I cant and dont try to compete with the holiday clubs here. I cannot offer the variety of stuff for the price that they can so there is no point. Instead I charge my parents (Apart from one 2 year old all my mindees before/after schoolies ) a half fee retainer for school holidays and then encourage them to use the clubs! I send my own 10 year old sometimes too!

Because I do my invoicing over a 12 month period it means I get paid the same every month regardless of whether they use me or not and I get most school holidays) bar the odd day here and there) free too - win-win.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There are two after-school clubs for my local school - one on premises and one that does pick up. I can't compete with their prices really. I am thinking about advertising holiday care for a significant reduction to my normal charges to earn a bit extra over the summer, but even then, the clubs will still be less expensive so I'm not sure I'll get any interest. I've only had one enquiry for schoolies (one day a week) and dad was a bit shocked when I told him what I would charge (and he wanted me to make them dinner and walk them home - I decined!) - I didn't hear back from them

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

There are several cheap holiday clubs in our local area and I can't compete with them, as they only charge about £12-£18 a day, depending on activities but when you think my daily charge is over £30, no competition!
    And tbh I don't mind not getting loads of schoolies in the hols, I can only fit 3 extra kids in the car along with my own so luckily I have kept a few younger ones but it is dropping at the moment.
    Whilst that is nice in that I get some time off just for family it doesn't help with the bills does it?
    And unless I get some new business soon it will get worse as have recently lost one to mat leave and another will be f/t school in September, so I probably won't have him after July, either.
    I just have to hope that there are still families with younger ones who need all year round care.
    I do occasionally pick up an odd day as the holiday clubs don't cover inset days, like the odd days at the beginning of January

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

our local kids club doesn't run if there is not the demand for it in the holidays !!! not sure how many children they need to open ... but i get calls the day before from parents asking if i can have their schoolies!

onceinabluemoon Guest

Our local wrap around club gets all the schools and kiddies from 4 up, I can t complete and have given up trying.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 of these clubs offered to the children at our local school. One is the local college (which int cheap) who collect and ferry them back to the college in a mini bus. This club finishes at 5.30 not very practical for those parents that cant collect till 6pm

The other group is a local playschool who collect and walk them back there after school. But they still cant have that many children.

We currently have 2 children who come to us just in the mornings, 2 that are with us morning and evenings and 2 that are after school only. We dont want to take anymore on as these take us spaces we could be offereing to full time children.

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

People will still chose childminders for the same reason they chose CM's instead of pre schools and nursery's now....some parents want their child in a home environment rather than a group setting.

In my village there are 7 childminders, one pre-school, and 1 nursery. There are also lots of half term groups running and I have still been fully booked for the last year (more or less)

As a parent I would rather send my child to a CM rather than an after school group :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast