Any luck with yell.com?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Any luck with yell.com?

I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile advertising on yell.com. I know it's free but I don't understand the need for them to publish my whole address. So far I haven't given my full address, or full name, to advertise. And I just don't see why I need to give my full address out, simples.
    I want to advertise as much as possible so thought I'd see how many enquiries others have had from yell.com

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had 1 in the 6 months I've advertised there.

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had any enquiries from it, I just keep being inundated with calls from them wanting me to upgrade etc!!!

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that's interesting to know. I've heard from someone else that yell . com call to tey and get you to upgrade and pay.
    What to do...

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had phone calls from there as well as hits on my website. The free entry just lists you in alphabetical order so whatever you do remember to put Childminder first then your name. The address is available anyway via FIS and now Ofsted sent out letters asking to consent to publish contact details on their website as well. So if somebody wants to find your address and full name they will anyway if they know where to look and if you're on FIS.

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly View Post
    I have had phone calls from there as well as hits on my website. The free entry just lists you in alphabetical order so whatever you do remember to put Childminder first then your name. The address is available anyway via FIS and now Ofsted sent out letters asking to consent to publish contact details on their website as well. So if somebody wants to find your address and full name they will anyway if they know where to look and if you're on FIS.
    No I opted out of the FIS because it wasn't clear what information would be given to parents. I would opt out of publishing my address too. So, so far my full name and address isn't available to the general public. I just don't see why it's necessary to give my full address. Of course, it's handy for yell . com to have because they can always send us some post I suppose!

Thanks for the tip but just checked yell . com and childminders don't come up alphabetically.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had any enquiries from it, but been harrased ALOT by Yell! Wish I'd never bothered-if I get asked one more time if I want to upgrade my advert to reach more people, blah, blah blah I think I may scream!!
    I don't know what others get from them but I get monthly phone calls-regularly at lunch/tea time. I seriously considering taking my advert out
    I think if you live in a town it may work but I am very rural and all my work comes from word of mouth as I'm 10 miles from the nearest town!

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

How anoying, Ali. No I don't think I'll bother. Especially as I had a fake PPI call yesterday to my house phone (which I never give out and I'm ex-directory). You run a childcare centre, yes? (Imagine, strong foreign accent).... you live at xx Terrace, yes? (No I that's the next village from me).... you've had a loan in the last 10 years, yes? (Nope!) He was obviosuly fishing for information ('yes?') and when I sussed him out he was quite nasty on the phone! How he knew I had anything to do with childcare was quite worrying! Anyway, I don't want to be nagged by scammers or any businesses really.

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfields View Post
    Thanks for the tip but just checked yell . com and childminders don't come up alphabetically.
    Yes they do. I was referring to an entry in their book. If you are a free entry they will just list you by your name so if you are Alice Smith childcare service you will be under A amongst other companies with name starting with A. So unless people know you by your name they will not find you in the book. That's why one should say Childminder Alice Smith as people will go to Childminder to see if there are any entries. That's all in relation to the printed copy as if they use yell.com they will find you anyway.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't do it!

I have not had one enquiry from there. Yell phone me on a regular basis trying to sell me websites etc....drives me mad!

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah I see, thanks. I didn't think of their book because I'd do a search online.

Thanks snufflepuff, note taken. I'm please I started this thread now!