Anyone else had Early Years visit them?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else had Early Years visit them?

Next week i am having a visit from someone from Early Years. I have done my course, sent my forms off to Ofsted and am waiting to hear from them. I was just wondering if anyone had a visit from early Years and how their visit went? Does everyone get a visit from them? Do i get a visit from Early Years and then Ofsted?? I am kinda confused.

BuggsieMoo Guest

In my area EY are part of the council and yes they visited me. She gave me loads of pointers and comes back from time to time to see how things are going.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All local authorities are different some offer no support at all, in my area it is NCMA childminding and network co-ordinators who visit

Cx

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, now when I had my Ofsted inspection she called herself an Early Years Inspector so I would presume that it was someone from either Tribal or Prospect (depends whether you are North or South) who conduct the Ofsted inspections.

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok because i am getting really confused. I live in the South West Julie. She asked whether i had done my cypop5 course and i said im just waiting for it to be marked and she said she won't be able to register me without the certificate or my CRB checks are done. I don't have everything ready i.e. fire blanket/ first aid kit as don't have money til the end of the month to get them, am in the process of doing my risk assessments, have done my policies and am writing a list as i go along as to what i need to still do. So if i have a list of things i need to do and am aware of things that are a hazard- would this be fine? One question- do i need a medicine cabinet downstairs in kitchen for children's medicines? I have one for my familys things, but don't have anywhere to put my minded children's etc. I don't want to put holes in the walls (house is newly built) so if anyones got a suggestion of how i can get round this, i would appreciate the advice. Thanx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by child_friendly View Post
    Ok because i am getting really confused. I live in the South West Julie. She asked whether i had done my cypop5 course and i said im just waiting for it to be marked and she said she won't be able to register me without the certificate or my CRB checks are done. I don't have everything ready i.e. fire blanket/ first aid kit as don't have money til the end of the month to get them, am in the process of doing my risk assessments, have done my policies and am writing a list as i go along as to what i need to still do. So if i have a list of things i need to do and am aware of things that are a hazard- would this be fine? One question- do i need a medicine cabinet downstairs in kitchen for children's medicines? I have one for my familys things, but don't have anywhere to put my minded children's etc. I don't want to put holes in the walls (house is newly built) so if anyones got a suggestion of how i can get round this, i would appreciate the advice. Thanx
    Hi there!
    I don't have a separate lockable medicine cabinet in the kitchen, I use a shelf in an existing kitchen cabinet that is high up out of the reach of children for any meds realating to childminding - my pre-reg inspector said that this was fine With regards to being aware of the hazards in prep for my pre-reg visit, I completed Risk Assessments the actions that I would take and for the ones that I was still to action, noted on the RA - 'yet to be actioned' & 'action by date', (for example, I still need to get a heavy duty grill on top of our pond) pre-reg inspector seemed to be happy with that too thankfully!

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are pre-reg then you won't be expected to have written risk assessments in place. The inspection will be to determine whether you are a suitable person to be a childminder - they will need you to have your CRB check for this. They will also assess the available space you have for childminding and allow your ratio of children dependant on this.
    The inspector may ask about resources or equipment you may need to get and your understanding of safeguarding and child protection - they will ask you scenarios and you just say what you would do (this you should have covered on your ICP course - not sure if this is CYPOP or not?)

Once you have been accepted then you will receive your certificate of registration and you can start childminding. You will then receive another inspection approximately six months later which will be your graded inspection. For this you will be expected to have ALL paperwork in place, including 1st Aid, risk assessments and policies.

Please correct me, anyone, if this is not the case - been training all day in Child Protection - been a long day!

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Julie that sounds about right i think. I am confused myslef about it all, but will see on wed when she comes. My CRB checks are still going through so may not have them by wed, but shes coming anyway. I have done most of my policies/procedures and risk assessments anyway to get them done and just tidying house now, but where to put things!!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by child_friendly View Post
    Julie that sounds about right i think. I am confused myslef about it all, but will see on wed when she comes. My CRB checks are still going through so may not have them by wed, but shes coming anyway. I have done most of my policies/procedures and risk assessments anyway to get them done and just tidying house now, but where to put things!!

I live in South West too. I had visit from the Early Years Advisor attached to me Local Authority who was the lady who ran the childminding course and then my proper registration visit from Tribal. The Tribal lady is the one that goes through loads of questions with you, checks the house etc on behalf of Ofsted. At the end of my Tribal visit I was told that she was going to recommend my registration and how many children I was allowed to care for. Because my CRB didnt come through for another 2 weeks after that, my registration certificate was effective from date CRB went through.
    HTH

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1957 View Post
    I live in South West too. I had visit from the Early Years Advisor attached to me Local Authority who was the lady who ran the childminding course and then my proper registration visit from Tribal. The Tribal lady is the one that goes through loads of questions with you, checks the house etc on behalf of Ofsted. At the end of my Tribal visit I was told that she was going to recommend my registration and how many children I was allowed to care for. Because my CRB didnt come through for another 2 weeks after that, my registration certificate was effective from date CRB went through.
    HTH
    Thanx for clearing that up. Now feel a bit at ease. Where abouts in the south west do u live? I live in Axminster, Devon.