Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help - 14 month old hitting others!

Hi,
    I've not really come across this before so just after some advice!

I have a 14 month old mindee who has just started walking and is quite large for his age. He keeps going up to others and hitting them on the head. Last week I went up to him and told him to be gentle and, without prompting, he would soothe their hair so I think he is aware that he shouldn't have hit but this week he is doing it more and more.

He is obviously still quite young and I don't think it's malicious. Mum is so gentle and i think might be offended if I tell her he is hitting!!

What do you do in this situation? (all my others have been so placid!!)

Thanks

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little mindee who started walking by 1 and running by 13/14 months, very fast learner. She started hitting all the time snatching and running off.

I didnt want to "tell her off" as such because she was just learning and testing bounderies etc. Although I did tell her no. I look after her brother and I have my son and she has seen "time outs" so is aware of them. One day I actually gave her a little one minute time out and used the words time out... She sat there!!! I had to do it a few more times over the course of a week and now she is alot better... She still occasionally hits but no where hear as much now

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do as you are and tell him no he must be nice/gentle. I would also use 'time out' if it was happening often.

I would mention it to mum if it continues as if you have to say something later down the line (getting worse/more often) she might wonder why its happening all of a sudden or why you didn't tell her sooner.

Little one could possibly be doing it when out with mum so she may be aware of it already.

I had a little one ( 2 years ) who used to push the other little ones over, mentioned to mum who told me that the little one played with older siblings who were a bit rough!

Pipsqueak Guest

I'd be chatting to parents about it, making some notes and seeing if there are any specific children, triggers, times of day, specific toys that are involved.

I would continue to discipline him as you are - tell him no hitting be gentle - and i would be ready to intervene, meaning constant supervision for this little one... providing a distraction or diversion if you feel he is about to practise his Rocky skills.