Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Holiday standoff!

I charge full fees when mindees are on holiday and no fees when I am on holiday or sick...

As a result I find I hardly ever take holiday, and when I do I feel guilty for the loss of income (and OH gives me a hard time about it too!) I've taken about 2 days off in the last year.

Also, I find that even when parents are off work, they send their kids to me and even say to me "I might as well since I'm paying for it". So I never get any paid time off either!

What do you all do about charging for holiday etc?

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, why is you OH so against you having a holiday? Does he not get time off, at least 4 weeks? It's not good not taking any time off, even if it's just for a week.
    I work term-time only as it suits my family and the parents are mostly term time workers. If they decide to take a holiday in term-time then they know that they have to pay.
    If you use NCMA they recommend that you take at least 4 weeks holiday a year.
    Don't burn yourself out, we don't get paid enough to do that
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

thats why i changed my terms to half n half of the contract fee's.
    so if im off or parents off i still recieve half the contract fee's.
    X SUEZ X

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full for theirs and nothing for mine, we both childmind so it hurts when we have time off.... there is no point in one of us having time off on our own as you can imagine! We never get paid time off either as theres not much chance of them all being off Thats the only down side of the job !

However I do know of childminders who charge half and half (upto 4 weeks each I think?), that way you still get something and feel less guilty for taking the time off. Have you thought of this??

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge full fee for my holiday have done for the last 7 years. I never feel guilty taking holiday I consider I need it as I do a hard job physically and mentally.

I can never understand parents who don't spend some holiday with their children and you will be ill on 2 days off a year.

Maybe you need to explain to the parents that just the same way they need a break, so do you and the los need a break from you as well.

From Jan you expect the los to be off for at least 4 weeks a year and you need 4 weeks notice. or you have to set aside some money each week so you can take at least 4 weeks off and have some money for it.

Does your oh not have any holiday? I would go mad if mine begrudged me my breaks and we actually enjoy some time together without minded children around., booming cheek.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
    Also, I find that even when parents are off work, they send their kids to me and even say to me "I might as well since I'm paying for it". So I never get any paid time off either!
    This is just another example of parents rating 'value for money' more than their own children! I can't believe some parents (not all I must say)!
    Love Shivvie

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you mean as i do the same as you, parents dont pay me when i am off and when they are off they pay me full fee.

I have one family whose mum and dad always have days off together or with their older son, however not once have they had single day off with their youngest son who i look after. I look after this boy full time Monday to Friday

It is because of this family that i have changed my holidays to now state that I will be shut from the 22nd December until the day after the January bank holiday, and this period will all be at full pay.

I have also changed my bank holidays to be full pay and shut, however if you need to use me you can request to do so and there will be double fee.

These 2 things then give me about 13 days holiday a year paid which means that I have budgeted how to have another 3 weeks off unpaid through the rest of the year.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why I decided on half and half otherwise they'd only take holiday when you do and you never take any 'cos you can't afford to.
    Its 4 weeks a year to both me and parents anything over that is nothing for me and full fee to them and last minute holidays are to be at full rate too for parents and no fee for me.

although one mindee gone off for 3 weeks now for xmas so a cut but I do need at quieter time so hey

x
    Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge when I'm off or ill. as a result I have had 6 days off so far this year.

I am exhasuted - mentally & physically - so at the beginning of the month I sent out a letter telling all parents I will be closed from 2pm on the 23rd and re-open on the 3rd.

Yes, financially it's a nightmare, but I NEED to rest.

And to actually spend some time with my own children!!!
    Marnie x

sept 20
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, agree it's a nightmare financially but I prefer the time off. I don't charge when I'm on holiday and charge parents half fee when they are off. I finish for xmas on the 21st Dec and start back on the 4th Jan - earn hardly anything this month but at least I get time off with my own children.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suez View Post
    Me too, otherwise they just send them, I finish next Thursday for Xmas 50% fee, I can't afford to not get paid anything for over two weeks. X

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't charge for our holiday but we do take 4 weeks a year.
    How we work it is to work fees over 48 weeks instead of 52 and then divide this over the weeks or months.
    If they leave early we just work out what's owed to that date and charge for the difference or refund if we owe them.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louise317 View Post
    This is why I decided on half and half otherwise they'd only take holiday when you do and you never take any 'cos you can't afford to.
    Its 4 weeks a year to both me and parents anything over that is nothing for me and full fee to them and last minute holidays are to be at full rate too for parents and no fee for me.

although one mindee gone off for 3 weeks now for xmas so a cut but I do need at quieter time so hey

x
    Can you change your policy at any time or do you have to wait for a contract review? And do you have to get agreement from parents? I don't want to annoy any of them, but I suppose it's benefitting them aswell really...

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge when i am off but full for theirs.

I think if my minder said you dont pay when i take my holidays then did not take any i would be a bit miffed.

I take 5 weeks per year, parents get this as well at least they can spend some time with their own children and not have to worry about payment.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    I dont charge when i am off but full for theirs.

I think if my minder said you dont pay when i take my holidays then did not take any i would be a bit miffed.

I take 5 weeks per year, parents get this as well at least they can spend some time with their own children and not have to worry about payment.
    The same works the other way though - I end up miffed that their attitude is "well we'll wait for her to take her holiday and then we don't have to pay"!

They get paid time off so why shouldn't I?!

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge 50% when I'm on holiday (up to 4 weeks) and full for theirs. But my big time off is over christmas when they are likely to be off anyway. Other than that it is just generally days here and there for long weekends. No one has ever questioned it as they get paid holidays as well. I phrase it as a 50% reduction when I'm on holiday - psychologically priming them to look forward to my holidays

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
    The same works the other way though - I end up miffed that their attitude is "well we'll wait for her to take her holiday and then we don't have to pay"!

They get paid time off so why shouldn't I?!
    That is what i want, they get time off with their children and they never moan that i am taking yet another holiday
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont charge for my time off but full fee for theres.

This year (since March) I have taken 5 days off and I am shattered so I have just done a letter to the parents to say next year I will be taking 4 weeks off and I have told them in advance the dates I am having off.

My parents do the same though, if they are off work and not doing anything they still send there little ones.

C x

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suez View Post
    I recently did the same because i will end up not taking any time off.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Post Thanks / Like

I charge half for their holidays and no charge for mine, and I have only taken 1 week off this year. This was mainly due to the fact that I wasn't going away, all my sons are older so do their own thing and none of my parents seemed to be off at the same time so I was always going to let someone down

However, we are hoping to go to Australia in February to see DS3 who is out there for 6 months. As yet we haven't booked as the job he had fell through when he got there so we wanted to wait to make sure he didn't have to come back before we booked! This means I will be off for 3 weeks in Feb, but can't give exact dates yet (told parents approx dates), and I feel very guilty at being off for so long and at short notice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast