Would you cancel your own childs activities??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Would you cancel your own childs activities??

Hi all

I have just had an enquiry by txt for a baby term time only Mon to Thu. Perfect for me except dd has her swimming lessons, which she absolutely loves, on Monday mornings and I can't be back until half 10!

I txt back saying this and now thinking maybe I should have cancelled dd's lessons. I'm not desperate for work just yet and am enjoying afternoons with dd before she goes to school full time in sep but....... it was just the term time only I was hoping for!

Ahhhhhhhh why couldn't it be tue to fri??
    What would you have done?

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd have checked out moving dd's swimming lessons to Friday or the weekend or could you take the baby swimming too while your girl has her lesson? I teach my mindees to swim so it wouldn't really be an issue for me. Parents are keen on this as it means they don't need to do it!

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you look for a Friday swimming lesson instead?

Also do you have to go in the pool with dd? If not maybe you could take mindee with you?

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take baby with me to the lessons provided I didn't have to get into the pool with my own child.

My son has swimming lessons on a Friday and right now I don't have any mindees on a Friday afternoon but if I did I would explain to parents that mindees would have to come with me for the 30 minutes

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mummits View Post
    I think I'd have checked out moving dd's swimming lessons to Friday or the weekend or could you take the baby swimming too while your girl has her lesson? I teach my mindees to swim so it wouldn't really be an issue for me. Parents are keen on this as it means they don't need to do it!
    They only have these lessons on the Mon and I have to be in the pool with her. I would just have to take her swimming on the fri which prob wouldn't be so much fun without her swimming friends just want to make the most of her before i loose her to school all day

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally if i was in your position I would try and work around it but if that wasn't possible I wouldn't cancel, especially as you're not desperate for work. Like you I would want to make the most of my time with my dc's, you won't get that time back but other mindees will come along.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, you are a mum. This means, whatever you decide you will feel guilty about. This baby could work out, and the hours are good BUT you may have to cancel your child's activity. Or, you continue with your child's activity and spend lots of time with her BUT in the future you may get a full time child who's hours are not what you want and you end up with less time with your child.

My view of the whole thing is, live for now! If it works now then go for it and accept you will feel guilty at some point for something.

I know this doesn't really help, but know that you are not alone in the guilt and hand wringing lol.

Now, on the other hand, if you need the money - then your child will survive and will make new friends at the Friday one.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if you don't need the work yet, dont do it hon.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in exactly the same position! I really don't want to cancel DD's dance class which only happens on Fridays. Haven't worked on Fridays in over a year and now all the calls I get include Fridays. Not much help, sorry!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Has the mum got back to you? You might find she is happy to start at 10:30 on the monday or swap to a friday if you are the right person for her? My dd has swimming lessons on a Thursday after school (I don't go in - she is 6) and my last mindee finishes at 3 however 1 is changing hours and so I have to take him with me once. I am hoping to change dds lessons next term as I will then have 2 with me some days (plus my ds).

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe there is a family member who could have lo for a couple of hours and drop off with you after swimming lesson - I would explore all options before deciding

Cx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clio0602 View Post
    They only have these lessons on the Mon and I have to be in the pool with her. I would just have to take her swimming on the fri which prob wouldn't be so much fun without her swimming friends just want to make the most of her before i loose her to school all day
    I think you've made the right decision for you and your dd - enjoy those few short months before she goes to full time school then I'm sure more mindees will come along.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

How will you feel in 5 yrs time?

I think you would be glad that you continued with dd's swimming lessons.

The old saying is true that when people are on their death beds they say they wish they spent more time with their family, not more time at work.

Another mindee will come along but you will never get these years back with your dd

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

i have in the past said to prospective parents that my dd has bla bla on certain times and that is my routine just now and would inform them if things changed, just the same as parents wanting you to take their Lo to activities, it has to suit in with what you do in your day
    karen

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this doesn't solve your dilemma, but I take my mindees with me to the pool. For general swimming I am allowed 2 under 5s and when DD has swimming lesson, I sit in the cafe and mindees all have their dinner.

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

what would you regret more, not spending the precious time with your daughter or not taking on mindee?
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Feel better about it now, she never got back to me today but I'm sure something that fits in will come along if I'm patient.

Definately going to enjoy these last few months then I can take on 3 under 5's to keep me busy while she's at school