Halloween
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Halloween

VINASOL Guest

Default Halloween

Mindee (8 - only just turned), told me today that if her school decides to 'celebrate Halloween', she and her sister will skip school that day as their parents are christians and do not believe in Halloween and as such are not allowed to be involved in any Halloween activities.

We - as in me - is not allowed to partake in festitives when the children are here...i.e. no Halloween dress up, pharanfalia (can't spell that word) and basically ZERO to do with the event including carving pumpkins.

Anyway, just wondered what other minders thought about this and wondered if anyone else had parents/families like this...I'm not too worried to be honest as I'm not a huge Halloween fan myself but do partake in parties (not trick or treating).

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's quite common. I always check with parents before doing anything to do with Halloween. I am prepared to do Halloween things with my DD at the weekends or in the evenings if it is an issue, but my parents this year are all fine about Halloween.

You could still do work on pumpkins. We have just read a great little story called 'Pumpkin Soup' and then we made our own pumpkin soup. You would need to reassure parents that you are not going down he Halloween route though.

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Its actually very common - although I only found out myself that it was as common as it was today loL!

I run a toddler group from the local school, the head phoned me today as she was just signing off the newsletter and i'd put in our toddler group session that we were planning halloween crafts when we return after half term.

She said as a church school they couldn't allow the celebration of haloween and witches etc. and could I please suggest an alternative for the newsletter. So I suggested Fireworks crafts instead which she was fine with.

Still giggling now that a church school doesn't like celebrating the 'make beleive' ghosts and ghouls and witches - but is all to happy to let us celebrate a historical actual act of terrorism!! pmsl !

In the case of your kids/parents I would respect their wishes - though you could do spiders and pumpkins as part of KUW and autumn celebrations rather than halloween.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am soooo confused! How on earth are we supposed to decide what we can and can't celebrate?

I thought childminders were supposed to celebrate all sorts of different festivals/occasions to promote multiculturalisms! Do we have to ask parents permission for each and every one? What if a parent does not believe in Chinese New Year or Diwali and does not want their child to take part?

Help!!!!

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a Christian I don't really like Halloween celebrations, however I go along with craft making etc and if children come trick or treating I will give something but I never allowed my own children to go trick or treating or to parties but I never stopped them doing activities in school.

It is not like celebrating other cultural festivals as All Hallows Eve is a date on the Christian calender, it is what it has developed (wrongly) into that Christians don't like.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That wouldn't affect me. I can't imagine any Christian with such intolerant views ever using me as their childminder anyway lol. They'd all be afraid I was going to sprout horns and worship the devil with their kids! The majority of Christians have enough common sense to be able to accept paganism as a different religion to their own, and not allow such ridiculous stereotypes to control their view of the world. Many might not like the idea of hallowe'en, but are intelligent enough to realise it's because they don't have any knowledge of the origins of the celebrations, and only really have the commercial idea of what hallowe'en is all about. Most will allow their child to join in activities if they are explained properly - but for some there is just no hops of any expectation of tolerance from them. But like I say, they would not impact on me because they would just choose to automatically assume I am a devil worshipping satanist, and not use me as their childcarer. Which is for the best.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, and if the parents are OK with it, I'd by pass the whole modern Halloween thing and go for Samhain and learning how the meanings of festivals can change.

It would also link into bonfire night quite neatly too.

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

I have it as part of my permissions. 'Are you happy for your child to take part in activities relating to other cultures, religions /halloween 'or something along those lines
    Not really sure what I'd do if a parent said 'well ,no actually'

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i thought we were supposed to celebrate and teach all festivals,, I do halloween activities and no one has complained as yet, I dont go in to the reason behind it as I feel that could be too scary for children so we carve pumpkins and make bat and ghost etc biscuits and hama beads.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a Christian and don't like Halloween. I do not let my children do trick or treating as personally I find it odd to say it's ok to knock on peoples doors and ask for a treat even if you are not going to do the "trick" part. However, I wouldn't say to a mindee that they shouldn't but wouldn't do it with them either. I am doing "bonfire night" and "Diwali" over half term - sort of mixing the 2 as a colour theme. There is a place local to me doing halloween activities and I am taking the children there on halloween however there are different bits and I am only taking them to the puppet show. I do think we should "expose" children to different cultures and religions other than our own but as adults choose which things to expose them to. It is very difficult to completely take your child away from everything and to say you are taking your child out of school is awkward as often things are over more than 1 day. My main reason for doing 1 thing "halloween-y" is to tick a box for Ofsted I must say as I wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

Uf I don't think Christians have an issue with halloween for "make believe" witches etc but quite the opposite really. I believe there ARE witches that practise "magic" etc and people who follow the devil etc which is why I find Halloween difficult as it is celebrating these "dark" aspects of the spiritual world that doesn't sit right with me. Just wanted to let you know really as I feel people just think Christians are being silly about this but that are actually deeper spiritual reasons. You are also right re teaching children about historical terrorism - I tend to talk about easter in regards to talking about new life and love but there is a time when I think it is right to talk about the historical facts and the Christian perspectives of why this happened but wouldn't do this with mindees unless a parent had particularly asked me to (I look after a child whose parents are catholics but the child is under 2 so it hasn't come up yet but may do in the future).

mushpea - I don't think any of us have time to do all festivals but yes we do need a range. And totally agree that you stick with age appropriate activities like you say.

To the OP maybe the family just like to be more in control and as they can't be they'd rather nothing at all than a bit? Maybe you could do different activities when they are not in if they are not full time?

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe i'm wrong but i have never asked a parent if it's ok, i just do it.
    Rose and her dad went out last Halloween but only knocked on friends doors. We also go to parties, Rose doesn't know the dark side of Halloween she sees it as getting dressed up, having parties and getting lots of sweets.
    love Sarah.