Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone have a "clothing policy?"

Basically as my kids will be spending a lot of time outdoors in all weathers I need to make sure they are dressed appropriately.
    Ie that girls aren't wearing just skirts and tights in the middle of winter when I would be wearing tights and trousers iyswim.
    Also hats, gloves, waterproofs and good warm and waterproof boots suitable for winter weather. I'm not talking wellies here because you can't really climb tree trunks or slopes in wellies.
    I hate nothing more than seeing kids in ballerinas, sheer tights, pretty dresses and cropped jackets with a pretty crocheted hat in December!!

(not made up... Little girl looked cute as a button but I was cold in my winter jacket, fur lined boots and wooly hat!)

And yes, I AM used to the cold having lived in Austria and experienced winters with -20C winters lol
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't be harsh to say that if a child came in inappropriate clothing it would impact on te other kids as I couldn't go out in good conscience with an understaffed child. Ie that it would be very unfair to this who are dressed properly who couldn't go out because of 1 child iyswim?
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Pipsqueak Guest

hah good luck in getting parental understanding and co-operation.

I have given up and now keep a stash of warm/appropriate kids clothing

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just sent s letter out saying as winter is almost upon us can you please make sure your child(ren) have a jumper or cardi under their coat as we have to do school run in a morning and its cold out there . also please provide extra set of clothes ( full set vest, pants , trousers/skirt tights , top , jumper/cardi and socks ,) also please provide water proof shoes or wellies and warm winter coat,hat, scraf and gloves so we can play outside in muddy puddles or snow.. I do one at start summer too. i do keep gloves, hats at mine etc in case any turn up with out them gloves £1.50 2 pairs in asda at moment..
    Last edited by babs; 19-10-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post

I agree with Pip! Some of us have difficulties getting a hat and wellies from parents, never mind specific boots!

Having said that, I think the type of setting you're planning to offer will appeal to certain parents, but not others. Many parents don't want their children outside in all weathers, so will simply chose not to use you. No matter how many times you explain the benefits, they just won't get it. The ones who do send their children to you are likely to be more to your way of thinking anyway, so will understand the need to appropriate equipment and will hopefully be willing to provide it.

I keep a supply of coats, hats, wellies & waterproofs etc here, so I can usually kit all the children out. That would be more difficult (and costly) if you want specific clothing.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post

I agree. I've given up on asking for weather appropriate clothing and keep spares for both winter and summer here for the LO's just in case.
    Good luck though

xxxx

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    I agree. I've given up on asking for weather appropriate clothing and keep spares for both winter and summer here for the LO's just in case.
    Good luck though

xxxx
    Same here, I struggle to get a cardigan/jumper for my current LO, so picked up a boys one at a 2nd hand sale yesterday. Mum dresses her really girly, but couldnt get a girly one and its only to keep her warm whilst here. I dont have my heating on all day and we go outside too

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    Same here, I struggle to get a cardigan/jumper for my current LO, so picked up a boys one at a 2nd hand sale yesterday. Mum dresses her really girly, but couldnt get a girly one and its only to keep her warm whilst here. I dont have my heating on all day and we go outside too
    oh this is my bugbear... mum never gives the two sibs a cardy or jumper. I turn my heating down low during the day and we go outside.... etc

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

One lo turned up in his pyjamas with clothes in his bag. Mum forgot to put in any shoes or trousers but did pack 2 t shirts, so we were stuck in all day long!!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... I woer if it would be worth going so far as to say that if they don't provide suitable clothing on numerous occasions I will have to terminate the contract? Obviously, like you say, certain parents will go for it more than others, so hopefully will cooperate more. But to make sure they do, do you think I could incorporate it into the contract?
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Funnily enough, my 2yo mindee arrived this morning with just a short sleeved t-shirt, no jumper, jacket - nothing! It was freeeeeeeeeeeezing!!!! Luckily I had one of his hooded tops here from the other day.

Hels xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nature'sKids! View Post
    Hmm... I woer if it would be worth going so far as to say that if they don't provide suitable clothing on numerous occasions I will have to terminate the contract? Obviously, like you say, certain parents will go for it more than others, so hopefully will cooperate more. But to make sure they do, do you think I could incorporate it into the contract?
    You'd need to check that out with your insurance company to see if it would be enforceable. It could be that parents couldn't afford the specified clothing, in which case it could be classed as discrimination.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I agree with Pip! Some of us have difficulties getting a hat and wellies from parents, never mind specific boots!

Having said that, I think the type of setting you're planning to offer will appeal to certain parents, but not others. Many parents don't want their children outside in all weathers, so will simply chose not to use you. No matter how many times you explain the benefits, they just won't get it. The ones who do send their children to you are likely to be more to your way of thinking anyway, so will understand the need to appropriate equipment and will hopefully be willing to provide it.

I keep a supply of coats, hats, wellies & waterproofs etc here, so I can usually kit all the children out. That would be more difficult (and costly) if you want specific clothing.
    Well, the only specific thing is waterproof boots that aren't Wellies.

I will keep a spare set of clothing for each child here anyway, regardless of what time of year as you know what kids are like re getting mucky and wet lol!

I know where you can get cheap but very functional boots and waterproofs from so it would be possible to provide these to the children at an extra one off charge I suppose (until they outgrow them obviously!)
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You'd need to check that out with your insurance company to see if it would be enforceable. It could be that parents couldn't afford the specified clothing, in which case it could be classed as discrimination.
    Thank you will look that up closer to the time.
    Wouldn't it also have to do with child protection / RA?
    As in, if a child isn't dressed properly he risks getting I'll from being cold / wet and unsuitable shoes would risk injury too on slippery ground etc.?
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nature'sKids! View Post
    Well, the only specific thing is waterproof boots that aren't Wellies.

I will keep a spare set of clothing for each child here anyway, regardless of what time of year as you know what kids are like re getting mucky and wet lol!

I know where you can get cheap but very functional boots and waterproofs from so it would be possible to provide these to the children at an extra one off charge I suppose (until they outgrow them obviously!)
    That could be a good option for the boots.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

we spend a large proportion of our time out in the forest - infact before childminding I helped set up a forest school with our local playgroup. Parents are aware of this when they choose me as a childminder - but in fact the parents are the same as parents everywhere and as they drop off in the car they forget just how many layers the los should really be wearing for our forest time. i regularly remind them - and have invested in some warm waterproofs to put on them myself rather than have inapproporiately dressed children ! Im afraid when it comes to footwear they mainly have wellies - I do suggest sturdy boots but Ive found I need to compromise too - and the kids manage fine in wellies tbh.
    on the ncma contract the 3rd sheet has an area for what parent must provide - so in theory if you state the requirements on there and they dont provide them then they are breaking the terms of the contract so you can give notice.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    we spend a large proportion of our time out in the forest - infact before childminding I helped set up a forest school with our local playgroup. Parents are aware of this when they choose me as a childminder - but in fact the parents are the same as parents everywhere and as they drop off in the car they forget just how many layers the los should really be wearing for our forest time. i regularly remind them - and have invested in some warm waterproofs to put on them myself rather than have inapproporiately dressed children ! Im afraid when it comes to footwear they mainly have wellies - I do suggest sturdy boots but Ive found I need to compromise too - and the kids manage fine in wellies tbh.
    on the ncma contract the 3rd sheet has an area for what parent must provide - so in theory if you state the requirements on there and they dont provide them then they are breaking the terms of the contract so you can give notice.

Thanks for that
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am now collecting boots and complete waterproofs in every size that I can find as they rarely come with "appropriate" clothing for the school run let alone playing in the garden in all weathers. I am putting these acquisitions through my accounts as they belong to my childminding business and not the children. Parents understand that I have waterproof outfits and boots if they don't provide them so they cannot complain about 2nd hand stuff.

On the whole mine are good at bringing at least one set of spare clothes(some have 2 or 3) but it is the coats and boots that are the problem. Bucketing down with rain and freezing and mindee had crocs and a light jacket

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same drama here. I am in Germany, and last year we had temperatures of -20 and 2 foot deep snow, and a mindee turned up in a party style dress with pretty little sandals on, I kid you not!

I have a policy that children need to have snow suits/ snow jackets and salopettes and snow boots as soon as the weather turns here. If parents fail to provide adequate clothing, I ask them ever so nicely a couple of times, and then tell them that I am going to go and buy some and charge it back to them at cost.

However, as someone else pointed out, you may have parents who do not want you to take their children out in all weathers, so you need to be really clear that this is what you will be doing, just so you don't have parents getting upset with you when you do this!

I keep a good selection of jeans and jumpers, gloves, hats and mittens here, because parents do forget to bring them at times.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My son was in the garden today with bare feet and a tshirt and trousers, when I had my ugg boots, 2 layers AND my winter coat and was shivering...

He has never felt the cold (he's like his dad) and if he's stripping off his layers cos he's too hot to wear a coat then I don't think it's fair to force him to wear one!

So I know you might feel that it's too cold for a skirt and tights but just bear in mind that they may not feel the cold as much as you.

Aswell as the fact they're running around and getting warm so will feel warmer than you anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast