Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand, foot and mouth query (urgent)

Good Sunday to you all, hope you're having a nice relax.

Mum of 2yo I mind has just texted me to say he's been poorly and so she took him to the clinic. She's been told he has hand, foot and mouth. I've heard of it, but have had no personal dealings with it. Is it contagious? Would he be allowed at my setting tomorrow? I'm a bit cautious, as I've got a new 2yo starting with me tomorrow and I don't want to put her or any of the other mindees at risk.

Help

Hels xx

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Found this on the website

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Hand-fo...roduction.aspx

How strange, we've just had a outbreak in our area
    Cherry x

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I'm aware you can obv ask mum to keep him at home while hes not feeling well, but not exclude him. He will still be contagious for some time!

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter had this the beginning of the year it it contagious she wasnt allowed to scholl till it had cleared i certainly wouldnt allow a child into the settine with this

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

There is the guidlines of exclusion in the link below, it says they don't need to be kept off!

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPA.../1203496946639

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is up to you... the HPA guidelines say that you do not need to exclude but we are self employed so we can make a decision based on the needs of the other children in the group and the wellness of the child.

If the child is not fit to join in with your normal daily activities then he should be at home.

Hth

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

we have an outbreak here as well

As far as i was aware HF&M is actually contagious up to 7 days before any rash and once the rash appears its no longer contagious - or certainly there would be no reason to exclude them. Chances are any children who have been playing in close proxemity would already have caught it anyway. Only last 5 -7 days after rash appears
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

It is contagious, but there is no requirement to exclude. It's up to you what you want to do.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My son had this at the beginning of the week, me and hubby was away on holiday and my sister in law was looking after him, he caught it from her pre-school and she kept him off for a couple of days at home with her, he had a few in his mouth so wasnt very well and wasnt eating very well

the way i see it, it is contatgious before the spots appear and until they have all developed so depending on when ur mindee started coming out in them i would make the decision from that, also ask the mum how mindee is in themselves, if they are poorly with it u are in ur right to say no esp with another new one starting

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default foot and mouth

Hi,
    I have been childminding for some time now, and this is fairly common, and crops up every now and again.
    I don't usually exclude, but as you have a new child starting it is a bit awkward.
    I would ask mum if it would be really difficult for her to take time off, just until it clears. Or talk to the new mum and explain that though very contagious it is not a serious illness.
    Most of my mums have been very understanding, and it has not been a problem.
    I would however, be more cautious if I was minding a young baby.
    Hope this helps and it goes well for you.

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your advice everyone - it really helped me out in deciding what to do.

after speaking to mindees mum, I've suggested keeping him at home today. He's not been given any medication by the dr, so I don't have to exclude him for the 48hrs policy. I told her I'd be happy to have him back tomorrow, but only if he feels ok and the spots are all out. I also had a text from the other mindees mum yesterday and guess what....yep, she has it too! But she's quite poorly with it, not eating etc. I only have her Mon and Fri so she's not here today either, but hopefully will see her back on Fri. I had her last Mon, it was only the 2nd time and I have a feeling she passed it on (but it could've come from anywhere).

Hey ho. Means I get a lovely morning off - and it's my wedding anniversary today

Thanks again.

Hels xx

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little one off today too with HFMD. I will exclude simply because if I were to catch it (read the horror stories of ther adults who have caught it on the nhs website) I could potentially be too ill to work so therefore lose up to a weeks wages...... not worth the risk for me.... and the mum is off on holiday this week anyway......

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I would exclude, they do at pre-school, only 2 weeks ago 38 of the 45 children at my dd's pre-school had it, they shut the school for a day and disinfected the whole place. X