Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are themes obligatory?

I'm all for doing an activity with an autumn theme but don't want to box myself in with being obliged to continue it. I much prefer to put my energy to offering just the right activity for the child's aptitude. . Themes always end up feeling like yesterdays dinner after a while. . 'o no. . Not autumn again. . ' haha
    do we HAVE to do them?

Ja
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. We should be providing activities for the children to do, based on their current interests. You could then have a theme around their interests if you wanted to but its not compulsory.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I don't do themes never have, don't do any written planning of any description either, it's not my thing but then I don't have loads of mindee's, maybe if you do it's easier to keep track.

Nikki. X

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't follow themes my planning which is very basic follows childrens interests and is normally written up at the end of the week.
    Pixie Dust

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only tend to use themes to support what 3-4 year olds are already learning at nursery / school, so I just find out what their themes will be and have resources ready to support this. For example in the summer term the nursery were learning about holidays, one of the 4 year olds came home and said "I'm learning about holidays at school so you need to make me a travel agents and an airport". Next day we visited the travel agents for brochures and got suitcases out and went from there, we turned the playhouse into a travel agents for a few weeks. No written planning required and the children's interests were followed until they'd bored of the theme.

I do tend to do a lot of seasonal based activities but I don't have a specific plan to do so, it just tends to be what interests us at the time.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Themes are not statutory or required.

However if you think they will help you focus on group planning for the 3 years plus age group then they can be very useful.

Hth