Before and afterschool ????
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may10
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Before and afterschool ????

At the mo I only care for before and afterschool kids. One has just turned 4 and the other 2 are over 5. Do I still need to do planning for them and keep up to date with thier personal development....

The reason I ask is my before school charge normally arrives at 8.15 that gives me 20 mins if that before we got to school so all he does really is have breakfast and watch 10 mins of telly....I dont really get the chance to do anything with him...

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't for the older ones. I only keep LJ's for EYFS children and don't do any written planning.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    They are still EYFS until the 31st August after their 5th birthday so I think all yours do count. You are limited as to what you can cover in the time you have them, so I would do a very small amount : such as a spontaneous obs a month. It can be as simple as their ability or inclination to organise themselves getting out of the door in the morning. Walking safely across roads, taking turns to speak to you and each other etc. You can plan in your head it doesn't need to be written down and also you could just record snippets of conversations and behaviour etc after the event and call this your planning. It will document ability and development.

At my inspection, the Ofsted lady liked my achievement charts etc but said she would have liked to see something written somewhere about 'targets reached'. I give stickers, allow to 'lead' the school run with their sensible walking and excellent danger spotting skills etc' but didn't have it written so no evidence. ....if that's any help?

Basically, children naturally will be learning and developing all the time and if you write things down periodically you are bound to be able to 'see' these advancements. Doing the writing will probably help you with ideas as to what areas etc you can support the child's learning in. What to chat about on the way to school run etc
    Also it helps if school are happy to work in partnership (with parents' permission) and let you know what little johnny is talking about in class, where he's being supported and what he's enjoying most/ flying ahead at from 9 till 3. And if parents can let you know how he's doing at home too .

I wouldn't waste loads of time or reams of paper and ink on it though

best wishes,
    Wendy