Do you do reviews on your children's development?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you do reviews on your children's development?

Just wondering what you do in their learning journals - do you just do observations or do you do termly reviews or anything?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do summary assessments ... I used to do them every 3 months but found that was a bit much so I do them 6 monthly now.

I talk about what they have been doing and how fab they are and how they have moved on since the last time I wrote one!

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah

Do you link it to the eyfs, and make a reference to what stage they're at or anything?

i also was doing it termly, but I've just decided that it's too much and am going to do it 6 months from now on.

I don't want to sound lazy, but I'm just wondering if i'm doing too much and if there's anything I can cut out of my workload!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a page in the LJ - Sept, Jan and April (beginning of terms) where I write what progress they have made, how fab they are and what I will look into for each area of learning based on where they are age/stage wise (what we may have done less of for obs and need to check with)

Down to 1 mindee aged 2 now so when he comes back after hols I will observe one day, see where he is at and plan from there - helps me to have a system
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do anything like this - I thought teachers did this when child starts reception.

Mind you, last month two of my mindees left, one going to school and one going to another childminder. I did a mini-report on each one explaining where they were according to my observations.

I think I did a good job but a lot of childminders haven't got the confidence or training to do 'assessments' really.

I think it's good practice but don't think it's mandatory.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Three times a year i do individual plans based on their development, it's all linked to the eyfs areas of learning, development matters.

I give parents ideas of activities to do to enhance their Childs learning (counting steps etc )

I've always done it, it gives me an idea where they are now and ways to bring them on. I find it highlights any areas that I might not have focused on so much and so with plannning I make sure i do more of this or that.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    I don't do anything like this - I thought teachers did this when child starts reception.

Mind you, last month two of my mindees left, one going to school and one going to another childminder. I did a mini-report on each one explaining where they were according to my observations.

I think I did a good job but a lot of childminders haven't got the confidence or training to do 'assessments' really.

I think it's good practice but don't think it's mandatory.
    I wouldnt think of it as an assessment - just a review of the last few months lj / summary and some ideas on where we are heading next. Its as much to help me really as for the parent / ofsted.

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, i do them as a sign off too at end of each stage of dev and then if child has not covered any of the aspects they are the ones i look at for planning and next steps also i shoe parents and ask for comments and them to sign it too x