Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hourly Rate & Discounts

I currently charge £3.50 per hourly the charge in my area is between £3.50-£4.25.

As an incentive to fill a full time place I rarther foolishly offered a discount on my fees. After working money out my hourly rate is only £3.22 and I can't really afford to keep charging so little.

I was thinking of not increasing my hourly rate but reducing the discount to £3.40 an hour.

Do you think its cheeky increasing my fees so soon after mindee starting with me, he startec in March. I was going to say increase fees from Sept/Nov time or shall I wait till Jan?

C x

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

im confused

why not charge everyone the same (3.50) per hour, that way theres no discounts and it make invoice day easier to handle .....owt for an easy life here
    What a crock!!!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

did you tell them you were offering them a discount when you set the fee? If so you could say that due to rising costs you will need to remove the introductory discount from October (give them a few months notice) and that from then the fee will be at normal rate fees.

I tend not to do hourly rate discounts if I offer one at all. I would rather work out full monthly fee and maybe knock £10 off.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont do hourly rates.I charge for full days. if parents wish to drop off late or pick up early that is up to them. I couldnt be bothered with parents arguing over what time they dropped off & picked up. I dont do discounts either With price of everyhing rising by the week.

Cupcake22

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of cancelling the discount all together but just feklt it was quite a rise in costs from the £3.22 they are paying up to the £3.50 per hour I charge everyone else.

I did it because I know how expensive full time childcare can be and I know them but I regret it now.

I am doing to because we spend a lot of time out and about and if I dont raise my costs with the increasing bills everyone is facing I will have to reduce our outings, which is something I dont want to do.

Just out of interest how much would you all charge for a full time place (9 hours a day, 5 days a week)?

C x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £5ph so 9 hours a day would be £45 per day £225 per week. No discounts for full days I work it out on my hourly rate.

It does mean that in theory I might get less if someone wanted 8-4 rather than 7-6 but I have always thought it a fairer way to charge.

It also means I know exactly when a child is arriving and leaving where as for a day rate they could use any time in the designated day. IFSWIM
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 23-07-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am more that happy to charge my full £3.50 per hour but do you think the rise in price from £3.22 to £3.50 is a big jump?

c x

oct 96
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hazzaeddieandme View Post
    I was thinking of cancelling the discount all together but just feklt it was quite a rise in costs from the £3.22 they are paying up to the £3.50 per hour I charge everyone else.

I did it because I know how expensive full time childcare can be and I know them but I regret it now.

I am doing to because we spend a lot of time out and about and if I dont raise my costs with the increasing bills everyone is facing I will have to reduce our outings, which is something I dont want to do.

Just out of interest how much would you all charge for a full time place (9 hours a day, 5 days a week)?

C x
    I charge £170 for a full week 8am-6pm. Part time I charge £37 per day 8am 6pm. I normally dont work o/side these hours however it is on my contact that parents pay £5 per hour or part of an hour b/4 8am of after 6pm. This certainly stops early drop offs or late pick ups lol.

Cupcake22

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am more that happy to charge my full £3.50 per hour but do you think the rise in price from £3.22 to £3.50 is a big jump?

c x
    It would be just under a 10% increase. i think it depends how long the Contract has been in place at £.22 and how long it will be before you increase your prices again.

I review my fees annually. I don't always increase them, since I moved house 7 years ago I have increased my fees once when I moved to reflect the rates for the area and twice since one being this January. In that time I have gone from £3.75ph to £5.ph just to give you an idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do away with the discount altogether from September and charge the £3.50 ph as this is what you charge everyone else and is the lowest end of the charges range in your area.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been minding since March so have not altered or changed fees at all, so the rise in fees will have been after working for 6 months.

Do you think its too soon or should I delay to end of the year?

c x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If its for the people who are using you for 45 hours a week then that is a £12.60 a week increase or £50.40 if you increase it to £3.50.

You know your parents is that a big increase for them?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No mum has just got a new job with a BIG wage increase. I was thinking of putting at the bottom of my letter if they have any problems paying as a result of the increase just to let me know (i would rarther keep my mindee than out my fees up)

c x

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of putting at the bottom of my letter if they have any problems paying as a result of the increase just to let me know (i would rarther keep my mindee than out my fees up)

c x
    I wouldn't put that in a letter - it's like asking them to say they have a problem.

Why don't you talk to her first and see if you can guage her reaction - would she find childcare cheaper elsewhere?

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am the cheapest in our area and getting rid of the discount still makes me one of the cheapest.

c x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to prices rises, I never discuss it with parents 1st or explain myself. Shops and other businesses don't. I usually put something like 'Rates are changing to *** in line with current childminding practice'. No one has ever said they weren't happy with it!

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you stagger the increase to bring it into line with your rate, I did this the last time I increased as I was increasing by 25p in total, the parents wouldn't notice the rise as much that way?
    Teacake2

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thinking.

c x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest staggering the increase too. Maybe go up to £3.30 or £3.40 from September, which will be 6 months in to the contract then to £3.50 in March after one year.