Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    April11
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Following on from yesterdays post...

Hi Everyone, so my enquiry has been and gone. She was lovely and her little lad was realy sweet and played well with the toys i got out.

But its only a term-time contract so even less "hours" or money earnt than I was orignially thinking. The childs care is being funded by the council to, how would I even work out termtime only contract?

She wants me to look after her son and I told her the truth that I need to make sure its the right thing to do IE giving up my job I do now especially as its only term time..

So any advice regarding termtime contracts and perhaps what fees if its being funded?

Thanks Em

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I only take term time when I have two other all year round mindees because it ( in theory) cuts my numbers in the holidays and suits me. Funded varies for each council contact your DO and ask.

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

For term time only I work it out this way:
    Add up all the term time hours and multiply by my hourly fee
    Add up all the non attending hours and multiply by my half fee
    Then I add them up altogether and divide by the term time number of weeks (usually 38 ... less if it's a private school). Then divide it by the number of hours each week in term time. The figure it give me is the new enhanced term time only rate.
    My usual fee is £5 for an all year round child. My term time fee for a child in private school was £5.75 last time I worked it out.
    That gives me a set amount to be paid each week. The parent thinks they're not paying for the child when they do not attend when in fact they are covering half fees all year round. Some councils will not pay a retainer in holidays so this is the way round it.

April11
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone I mean college not council ( i work for the council its on my brain lol), the college funds 90% and she pays 10%, She is desperate for care I know that as other childminders are full. So if I said to her that I will have to put my fees upto £5( normally £3.40 so a big jump) for example becuase its term time only or should I ask if the college would pay a retainer fee for the holidays?

Thanks Again Emma x

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

It's unlikely college will pay a retainer.
    I was in the same situation when I started minding. Please make sure you are paid in advance,some colleges are monkeys when it comes to paying fees.
    Good luck

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I was paid by Care to Learn and they paid for school holidays. Although mum was on a placement, so that may have made a difference, but it was in a school

I had problems with them and have read on here about other people having to wait for payments from colleges, so look into it if you need the payments to be regular.

may 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a mindee who's dad is at uni, uni pays 80% and they pay the rest. The uni pays all year and not just term time. It's worth asking if not I would charge a little extra to make up for it. Good Luck x

April11
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks again for your helpful replys. Ive just read the terms and conditions for the funding. they do not pay deposits/retainer fees for school holidays and also 4 weeks in arrears so if her child starts with me on the 5th september does that mean I wont get paid untill the end of october?

I feel so sorry for her as she doesnt know what to do as no other childminders have spaces, but I have to put my own family first and I need to earn enough to pay the bills x

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be paid on October 3rd if it is 4 weeks in arrears. I would make sure (if I were you) that I had late fees written into my contract.

April11
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pink butterfly, im going to give her a call tomorrow and say Id really like to help her and take her child on but here are the T and Cs.

I get paid on friday so need to join NCMA and take out insurance and order contracts etc (Ive been putting it off untill I had enquirys- been reg since april).

FC it all works out for both me and the parent x

April11
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning everyone, I have good news. I spoke to the mum this morning and explained the situation and that I would have to charge £5 per hour because its term time only and funded so she would have to pay £48p. Anyway she accepted! Woohoo Im so happy.

But now here is my next problem, I havent joined NCMA was waiting for my grant to come through which conviently it has today, she says she needs the contract this week so she can send the paperwork off. I am going to join NCMA today and order everything but what if it doesnt arrive by the weekend...any suggestions? I have a friend whose a CM, perhaps she could let me have a contract and I give her one back when I get my pack through?
    Em

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be lucky to receive your items before the week-end so I think asking your childminding friend would be the best option.

When you order ask the how long it should take to arrive?
    Pixie Dust

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

HI ,
    Yes, it would be fine to borrow a contract if your friend can help: good idea .

I just wanted to agree with charging late fees and making it clear in any paperwork you fill in for the care to learn people.
    I remember lots of trouble getting their money from other forum posts. I would probably read through some or start a new thread about late fees and care to learn aswell.

I'd want to find out what happens if they are late paying and whether they do even pay the late fees, as your contract is ultimately with the Mum, but she obviously wouldn't be able to afford the late fees herself if C to L don't pay up on time... don't want to put a downer on it for you but you need to cover all the bases if you are to be relying on this income

hope it all works out for you

best wishes,
    Wendy

Post Thanks / Like

Great that you got the job well done

Care to learn always seem to pay late so be aware of that

Tool luck

Angel xxx