Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bookcase

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bookcase

Ok I have come to the conclusion I need to buy a bookcase. I have 6 large boxes of books and need a large, deep and sturdy bookcase that is quite tall and not too expensive lol

Any ideas pls?

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

ikeas billy range are very good price

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have an Ikea near you, I bought a tall bookcase from Argos (think it was the Maine range). Bit more expensive than Ikea, but at least you can get it delivered if you need to!!

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks i'll have a look at those. It's the depth I'm struggling with at the moment like the billy bookcase thanks x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Billy bookcases for 25yrs now! I find smaller sized boxes sit fine front to back with a very small overhang and larger boxes sit longways on the shelf.

However I saw a shed a cm friend of mine has set up as her store last year. She has used Trofast units.

You can get 3 different sized boxs with or without lids or you can put shelves in. I was so impressed I bought a high and low and a small wall unit for my new playroom. I love the fact that the boxes fit on sliders in the unit. I have 3 of the largest boxes in the low unit, 8 med and 8 small boxes in tall unit and 6 small boxes in the wall unit. I have loads of stuff stored and it looks neat and tidy when I use the room as a spare bedroom, the billy looks more like a playroom!. I chose white for this reason as well but you can have different couloured boxes if you want.

Here are a couple of pics.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh thanks I'm liking the combinations. Think I need to save for a couple of months then get planning a trip to ikea!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You will need a book case small enough for the children to be able to reach or ofsted won't be happy,

I bought mine from Argos , it's a 3 shelf one so that everyone can reach the books. I will see if I can find a link BRB

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...EBOOK+CASE.htm

It's big enough to fill at least 50 to 100 children's books on each shelf
    Last edited by Mollymop; 03-06-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got 2 of these:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09877802

One in my kids bedroom, and one at the bottom of my stairs for childminding. They are quite deep so hold children's books perfectly - you can get SO many book in and they are nice small units so the children can access them easily.

p.s. I didn't bother buying the feet which saved about £8 on the price. (you buy the frame, shelf and feet all separately)
    Georgina x

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50077247

I have one similar to this in my children's room - mine is one depth all the way up but they don't seem to have that one any more. Quite like the idea of the deeper ones at the bottom from this link! I have 1 box which I rotate books to fit with different themes or next steps for the childrn every other week that I keep in my living room. If a child particularly wants another book we chose together from the bookshelf.

Feb 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ikea again, but this time their IVAR range ( sorry don't know how to link to catalogue) which I've built into quite collection.
    I've got shelves (shallow and deep, high and low) for boxes & big books, use the cupboards ( stacked and without the doors) for books, CDs & DVDs and wheeled drawers for the big toys.
    They're sturdy, have put up with a lot of wear and tear from first my own children and now my minded - knocks, colouring on...and a reasonable price.
    Shelf heights can be altered as required and they're easy to dismantle to move position throughout my home, or when decorating.
    Last edited by jacey; 05-06-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling oops