Dangerous Plants
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dangerous Plants

Can anyone point me in the right direction i am totally clueless when it comes to plants need a good web site with information as well as picture something that i can print out would be helpful so that i can check if i have any dangerous plants in my garden i have done a risk assessment already about that if i find any plants they would be removed but i need to know what i need to remove if you get my picture. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Click on free resources (smiley face at top of page) then free downloads and at the bottom (almost) on the rhs of the page is a list of poisonous plants you can download

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Penny1959 Guest

I have not removed any plants from my garden - as nearly all plants either have some part that is poisonous or are poisonous at some stage of their development.

Many plants can also be dangerous without being poisonous because they have thorns that might scratch or thin banches that might stick in an eye or prickly leaves, some plants can make some people have an allergic reaction and so on.

Of course a good idea to educate yourself and the children (and to know what it was that child came into contact with) but it will be near impossible to remove all dengerous plants - and to keep children away from dangerous plants when visiting others / at the garden centre / in the forest / walking to school and so on.

So I just make sure I supervise the children at all times when near plants until I am sure they know the 'rules' about plants.

Penny

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    I have not removed any plants from my garden - as nearly all plants either have some part that is poisonous or are poisonous at some stage of their development.

Many plants can also be dangerous without being poisonous because they have thorns that might scratch or thin banches that might stick in an eye or prickly leaves, some plants can make some people have an allergic reaction and so on.

Of course a good idea to educate yourself and the children (and to know what it was that child came into contact with) but it will be near impossible to remove all dengerous plants - and to keep children away from dangerous plants when visiting others / at the garden centre / in the forest / walking to school and so on.

So I just make sure I supervise the children at all times when near plants until I am sure they know the 'rules' about plants.

Penny
    agreed, such a shame cos of the most pretty plants are poisonous...lily of the valley, Lupins, Daffs, to name a few

xx

xx
    Jennie x x

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post

Penny
    great thanks guys will need to get picture's so that i get familiar never had a garden before i moved into the new house so now have a big garden all grass hardly any plants so need to know what i have and what i will get

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mookins View Post
    agreed, such a shame cos of the most pretty plants are poisonous...lily of the valley, Lupins, Daffs, to name a few

xx

xx
    did not know daffs were dangerous i have a few of them in different places what should i do

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatima View Post
    did not know daffs were dangerous i have a few of them in different places what should i do
    its the bulbs hun and when injested...just dont panic...you cant remove all plants everywhere you go, so why remove what you have...its all about risk assessing and teaching about safety...i reguarly drum it into my mindees that berries we see by the roads are for the birdies if we eat them we get terrible tummy aches and that the birdies get very hungry

i LOVE grdening and have many many plants now that ive put in from having nothing here when we first moved in 3 years ago...no way would i get rid of them i love all my plants just risk assess and keep an eye out
    xxx
    Jennie x x

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mookins View Post
    its the bulbs hun and when injested...just dont panic...you cant remove all plants everywhere you go, so why remove what you have...its all about risk assessing and teaching about safety...i reguarly drum it into my mindees that berries we see by the roads are for the birdies if we eat them we get terrible tummy aches and that the birdies get very hungry

xxx
    thanks jennie like i said i need to do lot of reading as i have know idea about plants (SO DUMB WHEN IT COMES TO GARDENING BUT LEARNING SLOWLY)so in regards to my risk assessment i just notify what plants are dangerous and teach children not to eat or touch certain plants would i need to remove any plants for inspection or are they fine about that children are always supervised in the garden

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fatima View Post
    thanks jennie like i said i need to do lot of reading as i have know idea about plants (SO DUMB WHEN IT COMES TO GARDENING BUT LEARNING SLOWLY)so in regards to my risk assessment i just notify what plants are dangerous and teach children not to eat or touch certain plants would i need to remove any plants for inspection or are they fine about that children are always supervised in the garden
    some inspectors are different to others...mine was more than happy with me knowing and riska assessing what plants i had and leaving them where they are...my holy hocks on my pre reg inspection where a real talking point and i was asked would i move them, i said no way they look fab i showed her my RA stating i new what they were, and the issues surrounding them, signs to look out for if i think a child has eaten parts et and she said "good for you"

if you feel someething is going to cause issues or it worries you being there then by all means remove it or move to another area....im still learning about gardening only been doing it 3 years but have been bitten by the gardening bug, very exciting stuff and children can learn so much
    do what ever you feel safest with hun

xxx

xxx
    Jennie x x

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I found that the Herbarium was really helpful.

If you click on the name of the plant, it brings up a photo and description, including which bits are toxic and the symptoms of poisoning. We have a couple of plants like this in our back garden (althought my mother is fine with me making changes in the house, I touch the garden at my peril!) so I am interested to hear what Ofsted have to say on the subject.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiorjiina View Post
    I found that the Herbarium was really helpful.

If you click on the name of the plant, it brings up a photo and description, including which bits are toxic and the symptoms of poisoning. We have a couple of plants like this in our back garden (althought my mother is fine with me making changes in the house, I touch the garden at my peril!) so I am interested to hear what Ofsted have to say on the subject.
    Thanks for that link, it's really useful

xxxxx