Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: too early

Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default too early

a parent is contracted from 8-6 every day,, over the past year it has slowly change from 7.30-5.30 although nothing has been said and as its still the 10hours and i am happy to work these hours I dont mind and havent said anything, however the past few months they have started arriving before 7.30am ,now i dont start till 7.30am and dont open my door till then but I am begining to feel guilty that i dont and feel like im being rude,, I have sent out a general letter to all parents saying I wont open my door till 7.30pm and the child has asked why it takes so long for me to answer the door and I have said infront of mum that i dont start till 7.30am but she still insists on knocking early,,trouble is i have had this child almost 3yrs and mum has become a friend and I find it hard to say anything,,,,I am wondering wether to say to her that as from next week if she arrives befroe 7.30am a £5 charge will be added or if after all this time its to late to do this.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

think u have done a lote to put your point acrose so think say you will change £5 is the right thing todo.
    i did have to do it with one of mine the other week.

Mar02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont feel guilty!

If they havent asked for an earlier start - then they cant expect one!

I am never ready earlier than asked - rushing about with my own 2 and timing the shower and not wanting to get out of bed earlier than needed!!
    So, if someone turned up early - they'd just have to wait, as chances are I'd still have my towel round me!!

You have sent a letter out and said you dont open, maybe another letter with that big in huge bold letters!?

Hopefully they'll get the hint!

Rachel x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

DOn;t feel bad or rude, she is the one who is being rude by expecting you to have her child outside of contracted times! If she is a good friend then she would understand when you tell her that you don't work til 7:30am. I would not put up with it tbh, next time just ask her what times she would like the child to come in the mornings as contract states 8am and you don't start ork til 7:30, so they can't come earlier than that.
    Like I said, if she is a friend she will understand!
    Good luck hunni x

Pipsqueak Guest

Agree with Molly.
    Just tell her that you need to get your own family sorted.
    sit down and do a contract review.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sit down with her, do a contract review with the earlier start time noted as 7.30am. When you're doing that then it will be much easier to say (with a smile) that you won't open the door until 7.30am on the dot, you're sure she fully understands what it's like trying to get ready in the morning so every minute you have before starting work counts and that you're going to charge for early starts as well as late.

If she really has become a friend, then she'll understand that she's not being fair.

What Molly said basically!