Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mum working different shifts

One of my mums has just changed jobs and now does shifts. she has just given me a list of hours for next month and will then give me another list of hours for June as soon as she knows them.

How can I write this on the contract. Can I give her a form to fill in every month with the next months hours on and get her to sign it?

How does everyone else deal with this?

Thanks in advance

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Im going through this at the moment and the child is also starting pre school next week . The way i've dealt with by telling the mum that the weekly rate (used to have child 5hrs a day 4 days a week) will remain the same as her days are all over the place but will actually work in my favour (makes a nice change ) but i would never be able to fill the gaps with another child. Ive told the mum i am happy to be the first point of contact for the school incase he needs collecting early for any reason. She did query why the fee hadnt dropped and i just explained that he is taking up one of my early years spaces and i wouldnt be able to fill the gaps with another child and that the fees will drop once he starts school. She was happy with that
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Helen N View Post
    Im going through this at the moment and the child is also starting pre school next week . The way i've dealt with by telling the mum that the weekly rate (used to have child 5hrs a day 4 days a week) will remain the same as her days are all over the place but will actually work in my favour (makes a nice change ) but i would never be able to fill the gaps with another child. Ive told the mum i am happy to be the first point of contact for the school incase he needs collecting early for any reason. She did query why the fee hadnt dropped and i just explained that he is taking up one of my early years spaces and i wouldnt be able to fill the gaps with another child and that the fees will drop once he starts school. She was happy with that
    Just remember helen to clarify with Mum that if he needs collecting early due to sickness you shouldnt collect him - if hes too sick for school hes too sick to be at the cms , and could pass whatever he has round your other mindees 9 and You!)

To the OP , how are these shifts going to affect your income? I would be wary of charging for attended hours if they need a number of days available to them . you could end up seriously out of pocket. Does she do a set number of hours each month but over different days? I think many would be charging a weekly rate to include worked hours and a retainer. hth.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This lo is due to start nursery next week too. So will possibly be less hours each week. I am worried that he may be taking up space for another child but his mum is pregnant and will be on maternity leave as of end of august and I willl be losing him for a while

Penny1959 Guest

One way round it is to charge a min fee per week - one that you are happy to hold the place for. This fee would cover a set number of hours - any extra would be charged at an hourly rate.

One of mums does this - £50 for first 15 hours (is also the retainer amount when not using space) £3 per hours after that.

Penny

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    One way round it is to charge a min fee per week - one that you are happy to hold the place for. This fee would cover a set number of hours - any extra would be charged at an hourly rate.

One of mums does this - £50 for first 15 hours (is also the retainer amount when not using space) £3 per hours after that.

Penny
    This is what I would do and then you both know where you are

I charge a minimum fee per day and a minimum per week or you could charge a 50% retainer for each day and then she can pay the other 50% when used
    Debbie