Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ford Galaxy - good price?

DH whilst out at work as seen a Ford Galaxy for sale. It's quite old, R reg (1998) and for sale at £750. After speaking to them they will take £600 for cash. Seem a fair price? I know nought about cars!

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at the online Auto Trader and get an idea of what they go for. If it's too cheap ask yourself why! I've got a Galaxy and it's fab.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip- have had a look and it seems about right. Some are a bit cheaper and some are a bit more.

Glad you like your galaxy! I love fords and have a focus at the min but we really need a 7 seater now even with our own little family.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We have an R reg Galaxy and love it. Its our little workhorse, doesnt get used much for minding as I dont drive, but its great for holidays and we wouldnt go back to a normal car now

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    We have an R reg Galaxy and love it. Its our little workhorse, doesnt get used much for minding as I dont drive, but its great for holidays and we wouldnt go back to a normal car now
    caz, what are the repairs like on it?

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

parts are dead cheap because they use the same parts as the Alhambra and Sharan - you get a lot of problems with faulty electrics and trim pieces broken usually.
    The petrol ones are rubbish on fuel though - diesels are much better.
    Blessed Be!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks kindred. This is a petrol one but i don't drive all that much (walk school runs etc) so hopefully will be ok.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

They arent too bad. We have had to replace some parts, such as gear box, exhaust, but for its age its to be expected, but its not been too expensive. The worst bit was when we had a electrical fault with one of the sensors and took a long time to find it. It was hassle, but its been done now.

Ours is petrol and its not too bad on fuel

Penny1959 Guest

I have a Y reg galaxy - it is a fab car for childminding - although struggle to get double buggy in boot when all 7 seats in use.

It is a bit thirsty on short journeys (is a petrol) but not bad on long journeys. So far parts have been resonable - but not needed much yet since brought in Oct last year.

Penny

Mar 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do love my galaxy, but I am slowly falling out with it at the moment. Mine is an 02 and we have had it 4 years now, it has had a new automatic gearbox, cylinder head, new injectors (twice), several exhausts and now the turbo has gone. It broke on the way back from Eureka last Monday with a car full of kids, we had to get the AA to tow us home off the motorway. I love the space in it, but this one I am angry with. I think we will be swapping it at the end of this year, but I am sure it will be for a newer galaxy. It is a diesel and does about 30 to the gallon, not sure what petrols do, but with diesel being so much dearer than petrol, I am not sure there is much in it.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got an 07 galaxy which I've had almost a year. I love it but being a newer model and a ghia there's lots of fancy gadgets and electronic things that can go wrong - fingers crossed they won't for a while though!

I currently have a message that pops up from time to time saying engine malfunction and occasionally it stops me from acclerating very fast (apparently it's meant to do this to stop the engine being damaged). I've been to the garage and they put it on their computer thingy and it's possibly a problem with the turbo which will cost about £1,000 for a non ford one It's probably a sensor that's gone wrong but you can't replace just that you have to have the whole turbo system (Clever Ford!!).

Anyway, the point I was getting to is the bloke at the garage plugged a little computer chip thing in on my dashboard for a week which gave a reading of all the journeys and when any errors occurred within the computer. He commented that I only seem to make short journeys (which the majority of time I do) and that's not the best thing for diesel engines. They like a decent run and that's when they're most economical too. I had always been told not to buy a big car like a galaxy unless it's diesel but apparently a petrol is better if you're only going to be short journeys! He's told me to every now and again drive on a decent stretch of road and when I'm doing 50/60 mph drop to 3rd gear and clear the engine out - boy do you get some black smoke when you do this!!

And as someone said diesel is about 7p a litre more than petrol at the moment so I'm not sure it's more economical anyway!

So I would say go for it and enjoy your galaxy - they really are lovely cars. Having got one (and a sharan before that) I don't think I could go back to a "little" car - when I go in my husband's I feel like I'm sitting on the road and I hate it!!
    Cazz x

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok We went for a test drive last night and it feels HUGE!!

Will i get used to it? I'm quite a confident driver but i'm worried about parking, turning and generally not crashing! It has a small scrape down one side which the lady said she did and hence why she doesn't want to keep it as it is just too big for her. Not sure now!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I went from a metro to a sharan ( same as galaxy) you soon get used to it, my son recently got a Clio and it's like driving a noddy car!!!

I find the sharan easier to reverse into parking spaces, yes it's big but not much bigger than estates really.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I went from driving a Peugeot 206 to a Zafira and then to a Ulysse which was even bigger. It really doesn't take that long to get used to driving a bigger car.

Happy driving with your Galaxy if you decide to buy it

Carol xx

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all.

We have called back tonight and agreed a price. There's a little bit of internal 'damage' but nothing that bothers me.

So off to pick it up on Friday!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

OOOhhh how exciting.

I am sure you will enjoy it once you get used to it. I know that we definately wouldnt go back to a smaller car now

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It won't take you long to get used to it - as I said before personally I couldn't go back to a small, low car now.

I wouldn't worry about some minor internal damage - you're a childminder!! My lovely car needs some TLC this weekend as it's been abused by too many children!

Enjoy!!
    Cazz x

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 54 plate and I love it. However mine is starting to have things go wrong so we will be changing it at the end of the year. I think we would probably go for the same other than the fact we want something with a bit more power to pull our caravan.

For me it didn't take long to get used to the size but then I did have parking sensors on the front and back I am sure you will love it.

July 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my Galaxy I am on my 3rd one!! My R Reg neeeded a new headgasket, just wasnt worth it. I have a fab one now its all leather, heated everything but its just cost me £700 as its a Ghia X, the parts have to come direct from Ford abroad so not so good. I can get my 3 wheeler double in the boot jsut with the seats set forward.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I am quite exited now! You all seem to be pleased with your Galaxy's and it seems a perfect CMing car!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast