Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do we stand regarding Suncream?

.... if the parent's refuse to bring any or just don't bother and their child gets sunburn because we refuse to use our own on the child??

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your duty of care to prevent sunburn etc would mean that you would have to take all resonable precautions to stop the child suffering.

That said if eveyone else is outside playing then that is suffering of sorts too

I get my lot to sign to say I can use my own cream and that they are happy for that. If I had to stay in all the time during warmer weather my lot would go mad

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Re read your post Sandra and thinking about I would prob be one of these awkward parents

I don't use suncream on my dd as she tans quickkly and spends so much time outside she never burns. I do use it in the real height of summer un the bits that never see the light of day just to be on the safe side.

Ds is a diff kettle of fish and burns easily and caught the sun at the weekend paintiing feedbins with his dad. Not burnt but slightly pink.

We use chemical free stuff as I don'y like the junk in modern creams. Thats just me.

So if you were my minder I would buy a tube and keep it at yours as I wouldn't want you using any old cream on her

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you could be on sticky ground if you were to allow a child to get sunburnt because you hadn't put suncream on them or taken reasonable measures to keep them out of the sun.
    I have a signed form from parents agreeing that I will supply and apply suncream but if their child has any allergies to particular suncreams or if parents have a particular preference to brand etc then they have to supply a bottle and leave it with me.
    I wouldn't trust some of my parents to bring it in, they have enough of a problem bringing the correct clothes / footwear

xxxxxx

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

if mine dont bring a sun hat or cream then they dont go outside or if we are going to a park then they have to stay in the shade this way they dont get burnt nor do they have an allergic reaction to my cream and when I tell the parents they got upset because they missed out playing the parents then ususaly send the cream the next day!
    i hate leaving them in the shade not playing with the others but then their saftey and well being ie not getting burnt or heat stroke is much higher on my list of priorites, im sure if the child got burnt the parent would be the first to moan about it!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks don't get me wrong I would use my own suncream to prevent a child getting sunburn if parents don't provide any
    - I have a tan from last week's sun so i am concerned that only a few hours at the park today could cause a child to "go red" and then what?? It is not very warm or hot but nice, and the sun is strong enough to cause a slight burn this time of year.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents sign to give permission for me to apply suncream as part of my contracts BUT it is also part of the contracts that THEY are to supply the suncream.

If a parent forgets/ doesn't bother, I use my sons suncream. I hate doing it though, it really annoys me!

If they were to say they do not want suncream on their child at all, i'm not sure what we can do. I think i'd probably have it in writing and signed by parent, explaining that I will try to keep child in the shade/ covered up etc but that we cannot stay indoors therefore there is always a chance the child will get sunburn that that is the parents choice/ responsibility. I'd be forever paranoid about sending home a burnt child though!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snufflepuff View Post
    Parents sign to give permission for me to apply suncream as part of my contracts BUT it is also part of the contracts that THEY are to supply the suncream.

If a parent forgets/ doesn't bother, I use my sons suncream. I hate doing it though, it really annoys me!

If they were to say they do not want suncream on their child at all, I'm not sure what we can do. I think i'd probably have it in writing and signed by parent, explaining that I will try to keep child in the shade/ covered up etc but that we cannot stay indoors therefore there is always a chance the child will get sunburn that that is the parents choice/ responsibility. I'd be forever paranoid about sending home a burnt child though!

If a parent did not want suncream applied they would have to provide long sleeved tops and bottoms and a big floppy hat every day. If they forgot it they would be sent home to get it as well!! Seriously!

I would not compromise what I was doing with all the children for one and I would not take a child out in the sun without any protection whatever the parent said. Any of us can burn. What the parent does with the child in their own time is up to them, I have a Duty of Care to all the children in my care at all times even if the parent offered to sign a disclaimer.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymop View Post
    thanks don't get me wrong I would use my own suncream to prevent a child getting sunburn if parents don't provide any
    - I have a tan from last week's sun so i am concerned that only a few hours at the park today could cause a child to "go red" and then what?? It is not very warm or hot but nice, and the sun is strong enough to cause a slight burn this time of year.
    The sun is very strong this time of year even if it is not very hot - the strength of the sun is about the same now as late August!

Cx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    If a parent did not want suncream applied they would have to provide long sleeved tops and bottoms and a big floppy hat every day. If they forgot it they would be sent home to get it as well!! Seriously!

I would not compromise what I was doing with all the children for one and I would not take a child out in the sun without any protection whatever the parent said. Any of us can burn. What the parent does with the child in their own time is up to them, I have a Duty of Care to all the children in my care at all times even if the parent offered to sign a disclaimer.
    Totally agree with rickysmiths, sunburn can be as serious as a scald with boiling water and children should never go out is the sun without any protection.
    I would not be able to mind a child who's parents refuse to provide or allow any protection.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    The sun is very strong this time of year even if it is not very hot - the strength of the sun is about the same now as late August!

Cx
    If you re-read my post, that you just quoted, you will see that's indeed what I just stated

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.
    I'm just wondering where we stand. I think I will get parent's to sign to say they have refused to bring suncream with them just incase I was to run out.

I get annoyed about using my own - 7 kids every day of the summer holidays without any suncream imagine how much suncream I will get through in a week - maybe 2 bottles! I hope I am not going to be so unlucky with the parents

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

i would get them to sign something so your not liable if anything does happen i think i would ring ofsted and have a chat about it to someone there also just to make sure your covered

i wouldnt use yours on any of them get the parents to bring a spare bottle to put in there bags or lunch boxes

oh and ask them to put long sleeved clothes on the child all summer if there not prepared to buy any

some parents
    One life live it

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I tell my parents that they have to send a bottle to leave here. If they didnt I would buy one for their child and bill them.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If parents don't bring then would use my own. Know all my minded children well enough to know this wouldn't cause a problem and couldn't deny them outdoor play.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post

Cx
    Found that out myself on Sunday. Looked like a beetroot!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I use aloe sunscreen on my children which is fantastic as it is aloe vera, can be used as sunscreen (factor 30) for my children and it is a brilliant after sun. xx