Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is this ok?

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this ok?

What would be your typical day looking after a 11 month old mindee?

I have been childminding for just too weeks and I am worried that I am not doing enough etc...

He is a wonderer won't sit for any length of time or play with a particular toy for any period. I have tried him with play dough, finger paints, water play etc but no joy.

At the moment a typical day would be:

breakfast, school run, play group & snack, school run, lunch, quiet time, then free play with an added activity (such as leaving the water tray out), snack, home.

i had in my mind whilst preparing to be a childminder all the monthly topics etc but this is something I cant do with him. Would you still have a monthly topics list on display for ofsted to look at?

c x

Pipsqueak Guest

My typical day - I have an 11month old mindee....(and her 2yr old sib)

they arrive at 7.30. I give some 'extra' brekkie as I know they have been up early - it also makes them part of the family

they have a play while I get everything sorted for school

pop into buggy at 20 to 8 to walk to school

they fall asleep in buggy on way home at 9.10

they sleep for approx 1.5hrs (got 'em trained well lol) - juice and snack

and then we have a play - we get instruments out, or go outside in garden/to park, or just free play - whatever takes our fancy really

lunch is served at 11.45

story and rhymes/songs

mum picks up around 1ish

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So what I am doing is OK?

There is all the training into planning/themes etc. I do plan my week, baby groups, what creative things I will get out on which days (even though he walks by uninterested lol)

Would you still plan a theme??? How ould you get this accross to a 11 month old?

c x

Pipsqueak Guest

I don't plan any themes for my 11mo old. We of course do stuff like mums day, go to toddlers, go to shops - but I don't plan for 'learning' scenarios iyswim.

I would say what you are doing is ad-fab and plenty.

I might 'plan' to introduce new experiences for instance but I don't plan topics - we go with the flow. Mind you I suppse my planning for other children incorporates the bairn as well anyway

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Observe for development within their normal routine e.g first words, stacking a couple of bricks etc and note some next steps - look through the develpment matters for ideas - thats as much planning as you need for this age. Themes dont really work for the unders 3's xx
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great what you are doing....

Its more about getting a routine going at that age..they dont have the concentration to stick at activities anyway so free play is great.

I must say I dont do themes for any of my children...As long as all my activities and play are based around EYFS I dont do any themes and Ofsted didnt expect me to.

becky x

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree you're doing great! I also just do the odd thing that links to a festival such as handpainting on an egg shape for Easter but not as a theme as such. And no, don't have a theme plan up just for Ofsted. Ofsted want to see what you are doing, not what you think they want to see. They would wonder why you had it up and then question you more on it.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, you make me feel much better

c x

Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted want to see you following the child's interests and giving them experiences that will help their development - your daily routines should cover that. As you've realised themes aren't much good to an 11 month old.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!